+ Reply to Thread
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

The 2008 NFL MVP Race

It's the toughest year to call in a long time which is a great thing for the game. Who do you think should get the nod so far?

Candidates in the running are:

Peyton Manning - some say this is his finest season for overcoming the knee surgeries, working with a busted up O-line, and little running game; he's brought the team back in last second victories more then once this year.

Michael Turner - Matt Ryan will get the rookie of the year no doubt, but the team MVP is by far Michael Turner; watch one game and you'll see an absolute wrecking ball busting tackle after tackle (he leads the league in busted tackles easily and yards after first contact).

Drew Brees - I don't get this one personally, just because you most likely will break an old NFL record does not mean you are the MVP in the league. He's having an oustanding statistical season but his team may likely miss the playoffs.

Eli Manning - I personally don't like the little Manning but you can't argue that he's taken his game and leadership to another level this year.

Kerry Collins - This one I can't agree with at all. Collins has given the team some veteran leadership, but the defense and the running game are what make Tennessee what they are.

Of course there a few others.

God I love football!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    We certainly won't have to argue about Tom Brady. That said, your favourite coach from New England should be a legitimate contender for coach of the year. For MVP, let's stir the pot a bit - Brett Favre!

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I put Eli Manning in the same boat as Kerry Collins. He has a decent receiving core, that is gets the benefit of having to go up against fewer DB's because the opposing teams need to stack the box with 8 to even attempt to slow down Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Ward.

If they're going to put Eli and Kerry on the list because of their teams record, then why not someone like Garcia? Not a statistics monster but a true "Game Manager"...

I hope Turner gets it. He spent a lot of time living in LT's shadow in San Diego, and it was pretty apparent how good he could be if he was given the chance, and he's proved it this year.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    No real obvious MVP candidates this year. Turner has definitely been great, but he's not a threat in the passing game. Brees has been pretty good but his team is in last place in an admittedly tough division. Hard to quantify through stats how well Albert Haynseworth has played, but he's a one man wrecking crew for the Titans. Peyton has definitely brought the Colts back from the brink many, many times this year, but he's also not really played well. Sure he's had receivers drop the ball like Wayne did last week, but he's not throwing it well either. Might not be recovered from his knee surgery, something is just off with him.

Funny year. Turner, Brees and Haynesworth would be my top 3, and we'll see if the MVP race sorts itself out over the last 4 games. I'm just glad no one is talking up Warner anymore.

Wes Welker is my pick for MVP. If an MVP is truly the player who is most valuable to his team, there is little doubt that this 5' 9", 185 pound wide receiver fits the bill. Week in and week out, he breathes life and energy into the Patriots. Despite his size, he has 84 catches for 868 yards. His fearlessness, toughness (witness his recovery from the mid-field hit he took last week), and dependability are legendary. He is the Patriots' salvation. It's no surprise that when the Pats are third and long they look to Welker. Let's hear it for the little guy.

I don't think you'll ever see Welker accepting an MVP title. He's a go to player, but he'll always be a bridesmaid, never a bride. He's like my boy Brian Westbrook, who had another stellar game today from scrimmage. He just doesn't put up the running numbers game after game to get the nod as a MVP candidate.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Kurt Warner. That would be quite the comeback story. And it would be his third MVP. He'd be in some pretty elite company!
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    I don't think you'll ever see Welker accepting an MVP title. He's a go to player, but he'll always be a bridesmaid, never a bride. He's like my boy Brian Westbrook, who had another stellar game today from scrimmage. He just doesn't put up the running numbers game after game to get the nod as a MVP candidate.
    Westbrook might be an MVP if he ever makes it through a 16 game season. Too many injuries cost him too many games to rack up the stats, but he's an incredible player for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Westbrook might be an MVP if he ever makes it through a 16 game season. Too many injuries cost him too many games to rack up the stats, but he's an incredible player for sure.
    Might also help if McNabb didn't have an average of 4 brain-fart games per year where he basically hands the ball to the opposing defence every 2nd drive, limiting Westbrooks chances.

I'm going to be very interested to see who wins coach of the year. Still a lot of football to be played, but that list must be packed pretty tight right now. Fisher, Sparano, Mike Smith?

The rookie coaches have been pretty good, but I really like Tomlin as a coach of the year. The Steelers are the toughest team out there, they never quit, they've played a brutal schedule and withstood a ton of injuries, but are still 10-3. I doubt he'll actually win, but I love how that team plays and it's definitely a reflection of their coach.

You're right, of course, but a fellow can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Matt Forte.

Coach Lovie Smith.
    Andrew

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    Kurt Warner. That would be quite the comeback story. And it would be his third MVP. He'd be in some pretty elite company!
    Ditto.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Young Mr. Manning seems to be showing exactly what kind of QB he is without his big threat weapons. Obviously you can't put the last two losses squarely on his shoulders (drops against Philly, pass protection against Dallas), but a true MVP would find a way to win without Burress and Jacobs.

On the other hand Romo is showing some serious leadership, putting up solid numbers and basically ignoring all the Owens-Witten crap going on so that he can win games. He's way ahead of little Manning in my books.

There are just too many good tail-backs to choose from. Peterson, Turner, Foster...

Thread Information