CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Driver Happy Gilmore is on a distinguished road Happy Gilmore's Avatar

Cricket swing and the golf swing

Hi There,

I was at the range today with a guy from work who used to play cricket for a long time and is now trying to take up golf. And boy is the cricket swing ever evident in his golf swing.

His take away looks OK, but when he goes to swing through the ball he almost has the shaft of the club vertical, and his left elbow is going up in the air like he is trying to point at a plane flying by with it. He says this is because of the way you are supposed to strike a cricket ball with a vertical bat position.

I was wondering if anyone has is a simple tip that I can pass on to him to help him get a visual image in his mind to not swing like this. I come from a hockey background and the concept of an angled swing plane is not that difficult to me, but when your taught all you life to swing through vertically it can be a hard thing to change.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Happy

"Play every shot so that the next one will be the easiest that you can give yourself." - Billy Casper

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Swings of the Pros

Here are some swing sequences he can look at:

http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/swingsequences/
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Here are some swing sequences he can look at:

http://www.golfdigest.com/instruction/swingsequences/
    He knows what to do because when he concentrates he has a pretty good swing. Thanks for the link though, I will see if he wants to check it out.

I was just looking to see if anyone has a mental image or a descriptive feeling that he can use or think of to try to keep on plane through contact.

Thanks again.
    Happy

"Play every shot so that the next one will be the easiest that you can give yourself." - Billy Casper

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore
    He knows what to do because when he concentrates he has a pretty good swing. Thanks for the link though, I will see if he wants to check it out.

I was just looking to see if anyone has a mental image or a descriptive feeling that he can use or think of to try to keep on plane through contact.

Thanks again.
    His problem is he thinks has has to lift the ball in the air like a cricket bat. He's trying to steer the ball in a certian direction. He needs to visualize hitting the ball on the ground straight ahead. Tell him his job is to drive the ball forward and the club head will do the rest.

He's trying to knock the shins of the bowler. straight ahead. Not up, forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    He's trying to knock the shins of the bowler. straight ahead. Not up, forward.
    Thanks for the visual. Sounds like you know a bit more about cricket that I do.

I will tell him to try to "knock the shins of the bowler. straight ahead", and hope that means something to him.

I have tried to tell him to follow though by pointing the club at the intended target, and to strike the ball like he is throwing his hands at the target. It works for about 4 swings, then his elbow flies up up and away again.

Thanks,
    Happy

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore
    Thanks for the visual. Sounds like you know a bit more about cricket that I do.

I will tell him to try to "knock the shins of the bowler. straight ahead", and hope that means something to him.

I have tried to tell him to follow though by pointing the club at the intended target, and to strike the ball like he is throwing his hands at the target. It works for about 4 swings, then his elbow flies up up and away again.

Thanks,
    Yeah my father had the same problem. And that's what I told him. It seemed to work.

If he starts thinking of the club face as the bat and not the shaft his hand eye will take over and make the necessary corrections.

Let me know how it turns out.

Cheers

Thread Information