+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar

Frozen Golf Clubs.

I'll be joining a golf school this winter, and just thought of something... is it a bad idea to store golf clubs in the back of a car when it is freezing cold outside?

My initial thought was to just leave my bag in the back of my car, so I could just zip over to the golf school after work.

I suspect it wouldn't make a lick of difference for the irons, but perhaps the graphite shafts might not fare so well, going from cold to warm all of the time. Last thing I want during my swing analysis is the head of my driver/hybrid/wood snapping off. Although that probably would make for some entertaining video.

If that's the case, perhaps just leaving a few irons in the car would be okay, but days where I would like to practice woods, hybrids, driver, I could just bring them into the office with me, instead of keeping them in the trunk.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The thing I would worry about the most is the epoxy holding the head onto the shaft. It might not react too well.

In general if you are hitting balls I would try to let the clubs warm up first.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I leave mine in my car all winter. I do let them warm up before using them - often I will move them to the passenger seat for the ride to the indoor practice area.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    It is a myth that cold weather will have an effect on graphite shafts, epoxy or golf clubs in general. If you have soft grips they might need a few minutes to loosen up, but that's about it.

The thing you have to be careful about is hitting cold golf balls - hitting a cold golf ball can easily crack the face of your driver or fairway wood. It not the indoor winter golf school you need to worry about - its the outdoor winter/early spring driving range.

8 Iron thedougler is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    The thing I would worry about the most is the epoxy holding the head onto the shaft. It might not react too well.

In general if you are hitting balls I would try to let the clubs warm up first.
    I agree with this. Polymers have a ductile-brittle transition temperature, meaning that they are brittle below a certain temperature. Even those Nalgene bottles (that lots of people claim are indestructible) can be shattered if you put them in the freezer. So I totally agree with putting the clubs in the passenger seat and letting them warm up for a while before hitting them (particularly if you have woods that may be partially composite).

Thread Information