CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar

Golf Schools: T to Green vs. OAC. vs. ?

I'm looking to improve the game over the winter, and I figure joining a golf school would be a step in the right direction.

I was initially set on joining the OAC (I have not yet seen the facilities, but they have been recommended by a colleague), but after looking at the "Golf Schools" section, and visiting T to Green this weekend, I see there are other options and am not sure which way to go.

I'm leaning towards T to Green, mainly because it is much easier for me to get to (as I live downtown and work in the west end). It is also cheaper, apparently has less members, and has a longer season. The self serve video analysis is pretty cool as well... I'm not sure if the OAC has that option or not.

Comments/opinions on any local golf school would be appreciated.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I took lessons and purchased practice hours at t-to-green last winter. I went during lunch breaks at work and the place would be virtually empty. Even at the few times i went afterwork (around 4pm) it would be really quiet.

The instructor working that day would walk around giving 'free' advice to anyone who wanted it as long as they weren't doing a private lesson.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    OAC golf school is very good. They usually have 3-4 pros on the floor who can work with you. Start off with a video analysis with a pro and you always have access to it as you go, though not self serve. Loads of demo gear to try if you are in the mood. 22 stations to work on, small putting/chipping green and a 'bunker'. It does get pretty busy after work hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    OAC golf school is very good. They usually have 3-4 pros on the floor who can work with you. Start off with a video analysis with a pro and you always have access to it as you go, though not self serve. Loads of demo gear to try if you are in the mood. 22 stations to work on, small putting/chipping green and a 'bunker'. It does get pretty busy after work hours.
    Any idea how much the "extras" cost? Or are they included with the price? It would be a little strange to have to pay more to access the "Members Lounge Area"?

What Your 2008-2009 Membership Includes:
    • Unlimited ball hitting from December 1st to April 30th
    • Personal Pro teaching system to ensure continued improvement throughout the winter months
    • Professional Coaching and Instruction from December 1st to March 31st
    • Detailed hour-long assessment to start your winter practice on the right foot
    • Ongoing written evaluations and tips
    • Full access to video and computer analysis
    • 6 week seminar series presented by Kevin Haime
    • Exclusive Member-Only demo days by Callaway, Ping, Nike, Cobra and Titleist
    • 20% off full launch monitor analysis, club fitting and extra lesson packages
    • Friends and Family discount of 10% on lessons, launch monitor analysis and club fitting
    MEMBERSHIP EXTRAS
    • PRIVATE VIDEO STUDIO - A private area with full computer analysis and a unique eight-foot video playback screen
    • Members Lounge Area - Sit back, relax and enjoy great golf programming and instruction all winter long
    • Launch Monitor Analysis - Test your own driver or try any of our demos on the launch monitor. Full launch sessions can also be booked with one of our CPGA Professionals
    • Custom Club Fitting - A full demo program including clubs from Ping, Callaway, Cobra, Titleist and Taylor Made
    • Custom Putter Fitting - By Ping and Henry Griffitts as well as demo putters and wedges
    • Custom Club Sales - Your custom clubs will be specially ordered to fit you and your swing
    • Club Repair Area - Get your clubs re-gripped and your lie and lofts adjusted on-site
    • Access to OAC pool, sauna and locker rooms
    • Access to OAC weight facilities for only an extra $75 per month (minimum 3 month signup)

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I went to T-to-green a few years ago, and it was ok. It was nice that they would spend a few minutes with you every time "giving you a free mini lesson and taping your swing". Other than a couple of times on a weekend I don't remember ever having to wait.

This year I will go to the sens-plex (Haimes winter school) and take a few more lessons from Greg.

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    The "Extras" are almost all included. Exceptions are the club fitting/repair/ regripping, and "Full" launch monitor analysis (you can use the launch monitor on your own most of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Any idea how much the "extras" cost? Or are they included with the price? It would be a little strange to have to pay more to access the "Members Lounge Area"?

What Your 2008-2009 Membership Includes:

• Unlimited ball hitting from December 1st to April 30th
    • Personal Pro teaching system to ensure continued improvement throughout the winter months
    • Professional Coaching and Instruction from December 1st to March 31st
    • Detailed hour-long assessment to start your winter practice on the right foot
    • Ongoing written evaluations and tips
    • Full access to video and computer analysis
    • 6 week seminar series presented by Kevin Haime
    • Exclusive Member-Only demo days by Callaway, Ping, Nike, Cobra and Titleist
    • 20% off full launch monitor analysis, club fitting and extra lesson packages
    • Friends and Family discount of 10% on lessons, launch monitor analysis and club fitting
    MEMBERSHIP EXTRAS

• PRIVATE VIDEO STUDIO - A private area with full computer analysis and a unique eight-foot video playback screen
    • Members Lounge Area - Sit back, relax and enjoy great golf programming and instruction all winter long
    • Launch Monitor Analysis - Test your own driver or try any of our demos on the launch monitor. Full launch sessions can also be booked with one of our CPGA Professionals
    • Custom Club Fitting - A full demo program including clubs from Ping, Callaway, Cobra, Titleist and Taylor Made
    • Custom Putter Fitting - By Ping and Henry Griffitts as well as demo putters and wedges
    • Custom Club Sales - Your custom clubs will be specially ordered to fit you and your swing
    • Club Repair Area - Get your clubs re-gripped and your lie and lofts adjusted on-site
    • Access to OAC pool, sauna and locker rooms
    • Access to OAC weight facilities for only an extra $75 per month (minimum 3 month signup)

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    What about Rick Boisvert's school???

http://www.ottawagolf.com/rickboisvert/index.htm
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    What about Rick Boisvert's school???

http://www.ottawagolf.com/rickboisvert/index.htm
    Cool, this place is a 5 minute drive from my house. Thanks for the heads up! Anyone been here before?

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Cool, this place is a 5 minute drive from my house. Thanks for the heads up! Anyone been here before?
    Not open as of yet. Scheduled to open early December.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    This year I will go to the sens-plex (Haimes winter school) and take a few more lessons from Greg.
    Does this mean you're going to play me straight up from the back tees next year?

On a related note, we were looking for a tape to transfer something off the PVR to give somebody and I came across the video tape of my swing analysis from the OAC when I was a member. This was in 2001/2 before Haime took it over.

It was funny to see that all of the things I fight with today are the same things I was fighting back then. The biggest one is still that stupid hip slide that I still do from time to time. Argh!

On the positive side, I do it less often and I did pretty fix a couple of my setup flaws.

Whichever place you go to, make sure you get the back/front video done. Video does not lie.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Not open as of yet. Scheduled to open early December.
    After doing some research (including attending Rick's seminar last night), I have decided to go with T-to-Green. Thanks everyone for the input.

I joined Rick Boisvert's school for the winter. Granted the place is not the hottest in modern technology( who cares as long as you can swing freely) but so far I have been very happy with his teachings. One step at a a time and not overly complicated. He knows his stuff. I have already seen some results in my chipping stroke.The price is right and he will accept installments. Where else can you almost get 40 private lessons at that price?
    Mahatma Gandhi

I joined Rick Boisvert's school for the winter. Granted the place is not the hottest in modern technology( who cares as long as you can swing freely) but so far I have been very happy with his teachings. One step at a a time and not overly complicated. He knows his stuff. I have already seen some results in my chipping stroke.The price is right and he will accept installments. Where else can you almost get 40 private lessons at that price?
    I couldn't get over the VCR, and opted for digital, but as you say you can't go wrong with essentially private lessons all winter long with a knowledgeable instructor. So far I have been impressed with both Richard and Dave at T-to-green, and have noticed significant improvements to my swing already. It definitely looks a lot more purty after getting videoed a few times; feels good too.

We should go for a round next year, and see who's winter Kung Fu golf style is superior .

Thread Information