100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar

Welcome comments on new website

Bit of background. My wife is a very talented artist who has been painting watercolors, chalkboards etc. for many year. It's always been just a hobby. Almost all of her chalkboards and promotional materials were done for bars and restaurants she managed and her watercolors etc. have been mostly for herself and family and friends.
    We've had a lot of comments over the years that she should set up a website, promote her art and sell it. So over the past week, I worked on setting up a website to do just that. It is very preliminary and still under construction, but the target is to have it finalized by the New Year. Also we've really not taken very many good photos of her work over the years, so it took a lot of work to make the photos we did have somewhat acceptable. We'll be taking and uploading a lot more pix over the next month or so. That will mean visiting a few relatives LOL!
    Anyway, I would welcome comments or ideas by anyone. Go easy on me as it is the first time I have ever even attempted to do something like this . Enjoy:

http://jillcrosby.synthasite.com/index.php
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Just remember us when you are famous.

You did a pretty good job for a first try. I have a couple of suggestions.

On the "Home" page I find it a little distracting to have to scroll so much to see all the examples.

Since you already have pages for "Watercolours", "Chalkboards", etc. you might consider moving the images onto those pages. On the sample pages a clickable gallery that opens a larger image might be a good idea.

On the "About Jill" page you might consider photoshopping out the character that's second from the right. He's taking away from the pretty ladies in the picture.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Just remember us when you are famous.

You did a pretty good job for a first try. I have a couple of suggestions.

On the "Home" page I find it a little distracting to have to scroll so much to see all the examples.

Since you already have pages for "Watercolours", "Chalkboards", etc. you might consider moving the images onto those pages. On the sample pages a clickable gallery that opens a larger image might be a good idea.

On the "About Jill" page you might consider photoshopping out the character that's second from the right. He's taking away from the pretty ladies in the picture.
    LOL! Thanks for the feedback!
    I agree on the title page. When I did it up, I did not realize at the time I could add other pages, so I put everything on the first page. As I complete construction on the other pages, I am going to modify the first page to reduce it's size and eliminate the duplications that are on the other pages.
    BTW, I should mention that Jill has not even seen the website yet. She is visiting our daughters this weekend and I did it all last night (stayed up to 2 in the morning) and then a bit more when I got up today.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Whow, what great talent, and a redhead; just goes to show that sandbagging also wins off the course.

PS; I love Barbados Beach Day and Avoka, Quebec

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Double wow,what a talent she is.I cant believe the colours in some of those prints.Very nice.I am no pro. when it comes to painting but I do know what I like.Congrats to the misses Reid.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am of course very proud of her
    I've incorporated some of the changes suggested by jvincent and broken the site into tabs to view the various types of artwork. It loads a lot faster now and I think looks a lot better.
    Still a work in progress but the basics are there so now it will just be fine tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Double wow,what a talent she is.I cant believe the colours in some of those prints.Very nice.I am no pro. when it comes to painting but I do know what I like.Congrats to the misses Reid.
    Thanks Marcos

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Nice job folks--both of you. I don't know a lot about building a website-except its a lot of work--we are doing one for a High School Reunion (lots of work) A great start---tell the missis her work awesome. Maybe Dan could get her to do a new banner for us
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Jill is a very talented artist. She would likely do quite well just going around to businesses with samples of her work, and maybe take her work to some of the country markets around the area to get exposure.

As for the website, it is not bad for a first try, but there is a reason many people make a good living doing website development.

Here are some good examples of artists websites:

http://artsites.ca/samples

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I like it! I think Jill has alot of talent. Good luck with the site.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

7 Wood sharon.gmc is on a distinguished road
    I like your work. As for the web site, i like it too. . .

Thanks very much for the comments. Still a work in progress, but it is coming along.

7 Wood sharon.gmc is on a distinguished road
    OMG . . . very nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon.gmc View Post
    OMG . . . very nice!!!
    Thanks Sharon!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Looks good to me. Fantastic works, very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    Looks good to me. Fantastic works, very talented.
    Thanks Bogey. There has been a significant amount of interest in her works from the site since we put it up, which is quite amusing
    The Custom Mailboxes in particular, which is a fairly new medium for Jill, seem to be catching the eyes of a lot of people.

Thread Information