CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Weight configuration vs. spin rate in a Superquad

I am just wondering if anyone had information on the effect of weight configuration on ball spin rate for any TM drivers, in particular the Superquad.

Right now, I have a 10.5 Superquad with the Proforce V2 High Launch 65S and I find that my launch angle seems to be fine and the ball takes off fine, but at some point in time, the ball just runs out of steam and drops straight out of the sky, as If I was hitting a 9i . I get minimal to no roll at all.

I know it may be the shaft, but I am looking for data on spin rate vs. wights for this club and I can not find it.

Thanks
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Changing the weight configuration isn't going to do anything noticeable. They simply aren't moving enough weight around.

Remember, total weight of the head including the weights is around 200g so unless you move a significant percentage of the head weight you aren't going to move the position of the COG of the head enough to change the spin.

If the ball goes high and then falls that's an indication of too much spin on the ball. It sounds like this is what you are describing.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

It sure is.

This was my problem in mid summer, and thus I went to a fitting session. That is where the V2 was recommended to me. I guess my swing must have changed over the last while, cause I am back to about the same thing I used to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Changing the weight configuration isn't going to do anything noticeable. They simply aren't moving enough weight around.

Remember, total weight of the head including the weights is around 200g so unless you move a significant percentage of the head weight you aren't going to move the position of the COG of the head enough to change the spin.

If the ball goes high and then falls that's an indication of too much spin on the ball. It sounds like this is what you are describing.

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    I have similar problems. With the weights set in a neutral position I hit the ball on a med. trajectory, straight as an arrow, but with little distance. Probably average around 240. Ball seems to take off fast and hard but just drops. I recently tried putting 4-12g weights in the head, you'd think that would still equal neutral, but I was slicing like crazy. Distance did seem to be gained though. As soon as I switched back to the reg. neutral set up things went back to straight and normal. I have the TM Reax in mine. If you find a shaft that fixes the lack of distance problem, please let me know.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Putting all 12g weights in will significantly change the swingweight of the club and effectively softens the flex.

Usually if you have too much spin with the driver it's because of an angle of attack issue, i.e. coming in too steep.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Typically, I have a flat swing. I have been working on getting my driver "over my right shoulder" to be more on plane lately.

For irons, even though I am 5' 7" and static fits would recommend standard lie and loft, real life fits would suggest 1/2 to 1 full degree upright is what I need. I am guessing this is due to "what I think is" a flat swing.

I used to love the NV65-R that was in my Ping G2. I may try buying one and putting it in there to see if any difference can be noted (for next year). In the mean time, I think I will use my G2 for the last round on Saturday and see if that changes anything.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Reza, I would strongly recommend that you return to the scene of the crime and have the same fitters look at the results and compare them to the original fitting. This is where I think the IMix system has an advantage. The fitter can try out different shaft and loft combos in the same session to maximise the results. That is what I did and although my driver swing is inconsistent sometimes with the driver, when it is on, the specs are right for me. I did it 2x with the same results to ensure the fitting results were consistent.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information