CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

Golfing is a game for fools - so that makes me a BIG fool. I hate this game

How does someone love a game so much when it never loves you back. This game consistently drop kicks me in the nuts and I always come back for more. I used to think when ever I played with my friends and competeted against one another, it was a test of who was better, but in truth, it's a means for showing who's the worst. I hate this game. When I finally think i'm fed up with it, the gods give me a new low round, or incredible ball striking for ONE game... only one.. to tease you back for more kicks to the sack. What the hell is it with this game. By the time when you've practiced enough to start making headway in your game - it turns cold and golf season is over.

Then... when it first starts getting warm, I go to the range - and guess what - I'm hitting the ball like a pro. Draws, fades, knock downs... you name it, I was doing it. And I was thinking... I can't wait to get onto a course, and join the PGA - cuz i'm such a hero with my golf clubs now. Then I hear Calabogie and Gatineau is opening soon. Hrm... better go to the range and figure out what my distances are. Unfortunately I couldn't... because I got the shanks! From a 200 yrd draw with a 5 iron to a 140 yard slice and further regressing to the shanks. 3/4 lob wedge gave me a 75 degree shank to the right on a consistent basis. What the hell is with this game? I hate it I hate it I hate it. But... I always go back for more. That being said.... Gatineau is opening Wednesday you say?

This ranting was brought to you today by:
    Yun

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    behold!! Yun's first REAL lesson of golf!!

...that's why we play.

I'll tell you what I've learnt...

I've learnt I'm a friggin idiot for playing this game. And I keep playing it!

Yun

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yun
    I've learnt I'm a friggin idiot for playing this game. And I keep playing it!

Yun
    ...aren't we all then???

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    . 3/4 lob wedge gave me a 75 degree shank to the right on a consistent basis. What the hell is with this game? I hate it I hate it I hate it. But... I always go back for more. That being said.... Gatineau is opening Wednesday you say?

This ranting was brought to you today by:
    Yun
    Why don't you aim left then? :
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Why don't you aim left then? :
    why you ask? because I"d have to aim almost perpendicularly to my intended target. But that being said.... if I did, here's what would happen:

I'd duck hook the stupid ball to the left - back towards the tee box where I topped my ball on a brutal drive. After that, I'll be so embarrassed and pissed that I'll take my club and throw it into a ravine, where it will hit a tree, bounce back and hit me in the head leaving me a deep permanent scar so that whenever I look in the mirror, I'll be constantly reminded of this darn game, and you laughing your as.ses off at me.

Yun

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    why you ask? because I"d have to aim almost perpendicularly to my intended target. But that being said.... if I did, here's what would happen:

I'd duck hook the stupid ball to the left - back towards the tee box where I topped my ball on a brutal drive. After that, I'll be so embarrassed and pissed that I'll take my club and throw it into a ravine, where it will hit a tree, bounce back and hit me in the head leaving me a deep permanent scar so that whenever I look in the mirror, I'll be constantly reminded of this darn game, and you laughing your as.ses off at me.

Yun
    Not a bad route for a birdie.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Yun, I know exactly how you feel. Last year, I had the worst start of my career (no laughing), I was shanking like you wouldn't believe, the guys I was playing with could not figure it out (I'm a 15 handicap by the way), they said shanking is like a disease. Well, I figured out what was wrong, my wrists were completely locked, they were not moving or rotating (not sure if I'm expaling it correctly). This shanking was on my mind when I went to bed, my handicap went up to 23 last summer. When I relaized what I was doing, I got in my car right away and went to Chuck Brown's and hit some golf balls and all was fine, I almost cried I eventually got my handicap down back to 15 by the end of summer. Once again this year though, I've some of those shanks come back, I'm actually nervous to go and play my first round cause I don't know what to expect..............like you stupid game.....but I LOVE it! :reallymad
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    You answered all your own questions Yun. We love this game BECAUSE it is so BRUTALLY HONEST and sometimes seemingly cruel.

Everything you get out of golf MUST be the result of work, patience and study (physical or mental), and thats the beauty: you get out of it EXACTLY what you put in.

The shanks? The yips? The first tee jitters? Mastering the mind and body...golf presents both.

And the great shot that sneaks in? That feeds into the addictive personality: 10 bad shots is LESS depressing THAN the adrenaline of ONE good shot.

And its the only sport that goes on for our entire life. It mirrors life. You can learn life lessons out on the course: patience, focus, forgiveness, joy, grief...you have to handle it all under the watchful eyes of friends and strangers.

And which man (or woman) amongst us has not been attracted to someone who doesn't love us back?

So the question is not why do we love golf, Yun, but rather: who in their right mind could not love this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    And which man (or woman) amongst us has not been attracted to someone who doesn't love us back?
    But everyone loves me..... LOL.

I guess. Everyone likes a challenge. Just aggravated that my arch-nemesis (I won't name names, so let's call him Tony, or Tmac) seemed to be doing ok. I can still picture his snide little smirk as he hoisted another 5 iron into the air why my wedges were happily shanking away. I'm just a bitter bitter man

Yun

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I'm just a bitter bitter man

Yun
    And that is a good reason to play golf!!!

I know what you mean about the shanks. I get em from time to time. Usually after about 8 beers in 30* heat.

Still, it's just like Kevin Costner describes it in "Tin Cup", and Cheech is the perfect guy to help fix the problem! Well, at least in his earlier movies... In "Tin Cup" he was pretty lame...

Cheers,

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

We all have a different way to make our way through golf

4 years ago I started to shank the ball badly......no cure at all. I saw every pro in the area(I know them all) ,still no cure.........a real mess. I could'n count the times I decided to stop playing, (after every visit at the range).Bang!!!!!!!!the bag in the trunk....let's do another sport.2 seasons wasted shanking the ball(very frustrating) but always ready to quit....and 2 hours later...ready to try again. Finally I don't remember when, but the shank was gone...Today I have an handicap of around 12 and I like golf more than anything else........but since the range season is there im hitting so bad (duck hooks) that I really don't know what I'v done this winter in indoor school. I start to think that hitting on mats can be very dangerous for your swing(mats are forgiving) and you can create bad habits when you can't see the ball fly. Anyways I'll start playing soon and will see what happen......golf is wonderfull......chip

Pitching Wedge RailRoad17 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by chipandput
    I start to think that hitting on mats can be very dangerous for your swing(mats are forgiving) and you can create bad habits when you can't see the ball fly. )
    Couldn't agree more. That is why I tried to avoid the mats as much as possible but then the grass at this time of the year are not much better so I think we're still better off hitting it indoors as doing it outside is very frustrating.

Its nice to finally see your ball fly but if its flying in all directions (or if it flies at all) it makes for one ugly range session.

Quote Originally Posted by RailRoad17
    Couldn't agree more. That is why I tried to avoid the mats as much as possible but then the grass at this time of the year are not much better so I think we're still better off hitting it indoors as doing it outside is very frustrating.

Its nice to finally see your ball fly but if its flying in all directions (or if it flies at all) it makes for one ugly range session.
    I agree mats are no good, especially the ones that don't have that extra fluffy carpet, hitting directly which is basically artificial turf is bad, if you're someone who takes big divots (not chunks, but normal divots), this will ruin everything, even your clubs. But hey, it's still nice to see the ball fly.
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    I agree mats are no good, especially the ones that don't have that extra fluffy carpet, hitting directly which is basically artificial turf is bad, if you're someone who takes big divots (not chunks, but normal divots), this will ruin everything, even your clubs. But hey, it's still nice to see the ball fly.
    I don't agree. The ball goes where your swing and club face takes it. You should not take more then a bacon slice divot unless your are trying to hit a certain shot.

Winter season is a time to work on your swing and if you swing good the ball will go were your swing takes it.

When you learn to hit the ball crisp and clean of the mats you will be able to hit the ball of the fairway without taking a yard of turf out!

Just my opinion.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I don't agree. The ball goes where your swing and club face takes it. You should not take more then a bacon slice divot unless your are trying to hit a certain shot.

Winter season is a time to work on your swing and if you swing good the ball will go were your swing takes it.

When you learn to hit the ball crisp and clean of the mats you will be able to hit the ball of the fairway without taking a yard of turf out!

Just my opinion.
    Good point, but I think if you get used of hitting the ball off the carpet by trying to catch it clean you may not be able to spin the ball, I can NOT spin the ball don't get me wrong, but I like to have my ball sort of stop and not play bump and run on my shots, of course this is what I would like to happen.
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Good point, but I think if you get used of hitting the ball off the carpet by trying to catch it clean you may not be able to spin the ball, I can NOT spin the ball don't get me wrong, but I like to have my ball sort of stop and not play bump and run on my shots, of course this is what I would like to happen.
    Not really. I spin the ball allot! The good thing about hitting of the mats is that you can easily feel if you hit the ball fat or clean.

Don't get mo wrong I do take divots but a divot should start after impact. Hitting the ball first and clean is whats most important. Most often, a slicer or a pull hooker will have difficulty hitting the ball clean of the mats. It's a great exercises and it will improve your game.

A few years back I have seen Mr Norman hit a 7 iron off the paved cart path. Now that was impressive.

If you learn to hit it clean from the mats, you will be able to pick it clean from most situations.

Not really. I spin the ball allot! The good thing about hitting of the mats is that you can easily feel if you hit the ball fat or clean.

Don't get mo wrong I do take divots but a divot should start after impact. Hitting the ball first and clean is whats most important. Most often, a slicer or a pull hooker will have difficulty hitting the ball clean of the mats. It's a great exercises and it will improve your game.

A few years back I have seen Mr Norman hit a 7 iron off the paved cart path. Now that was impressive.

If you learn to hit it clean from the mats, you will be able to pick it clean from most situations.
    .............I never land on cart paths

Gotta love this forum, being able to discuss things like this.
    Myrtle Beach Golf

.............I never land on cart paths

Gotta love this forum, being able to discuss things like this.
    Good one!

I hated hitting off mat's until a few years ago my golf Pro told me to slow my swing down cause divot were to deep. He told me to tee up three balls very high. Hit all three with an 8 iron but at three at different speeds. Hit the ball at 75y, 105y and 135y. This would prevent me from dominating the swing with my left shoulder.

I took that exercises to the mat and voila.

Good one!

I hated hitting off mat's until a few years ago my golf Pro told me to slow my swing down cause divot were to deep. He told me to tee up three balls very high. Hit all three with an 8 iron but at three at different speeds. Hit the ball at 75y, 105y and 135y. This would prevent me from dominating the swing with my left shoulder.

I took that exercises to the mat and voila.
    Interesting exercise, I may just steal that one from you.
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Interesting exercise, I may just steal that one from you.
    Glad I can help!!

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    You sound bitter buddy!

You just need a hobby to take your mind off of it all.....brick wall head banging is supposed to be making a comeback....equipment is cheap.....no special clothes needed (except for a medic-alert)

Yun

Thread Information