+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TPC Sawgrass

Andru

TPC Sawgrass

Out of curiosity I checked the price of the TPC at saw grass. The course The players championship is played on every year.

Regular-Full Membership
    $15,000 Initiation Fee Approx 20,000 CAD
    $3,675 Annual Dues Approx. 4800 CAD

Member and Family pay no greens fee at TPC at Sawgrass.
    Access to regular Locker Room.
    Can bring up to one foursome to the TPC at Sawgrass; accompanied guests will receive 50% off current guest green fees.
    TPC Network privileges.
    30 Days in advance Starting Reservations.
    Charge privileges.
    Practice balls supplied.

Hunt Club 30K
    Royal Ottawa 25K
    Kanata Lakes 20K

Hmm I'm not sure where I'm going with this. It just stings a little to know for less money I could be playing a course the Pros consider the 5th major.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The fact of the matter is that we pay a lot of money to play golf around here. By comparison, in Halifax I was a member at a course (Oakfield) that hosted two Canadian Amateurs. My wife and I paid no more in annual dues that I am paying at Manderley and Manderley is one of the most reasonably priced spots in this area. Someday someone can explain our regional pricing scheme to you and me, Andru. I can't wait to hear the explanation.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    The fact of the matter is that we pay a lot of money to play golf around here. By comparison, in Halifax I was a member at a course (Oakfield) that hosted two Canadian Amateurs. My wife and I paid no more in annual dues that I am paying at Manderley and Manderley is one of the most reasonably priced spots in this area. Someday someone can explain our regional pricing scheme to you and me, Andru. I can't wait to hear the explanation.
    I've been struggling all winter, I don't know where to join. I play enough to warrant a membership but I can't pull the trigger on anything. I'm just not satisfied with the bang for the buck I'm getting. Manderley is a little too far me ( 25-30 min Drive ) or I would probably join. I've been paired with some members there on a Saturday morning and it's a fine group, very friendly.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Pricing seems fair enough, but from what I understand, Sawgrass is the type of course that can rapidly become "not-fun" to play on. They had that little deal with those two 5-6 handicappers on a mission to play all the PGA courses, and they seemed to blow up a few times. For me, that's too much course.

Looks damn gorgeous, but I'm sure there's better value out there for the mid-range handicapper out there.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Pricing seems fair enough, but from what I understand, Sawgrass is the type of course that can rapidly become "not-fun" to play on. They had that little deal with those two 5-6 handicappers on a mission to play all the PGA courses, and they seemed to blow up a few times. For me, that's too much course.

Looks damn gorgeous, but I'm sure there's better value out there for the mid-range handicapper out there.

Dan
    The harder the better as far as I'm concerned. As long as it's fair. That's why i'm addicted to premium courses.

I was just pointing out the fact that you can play a PGA quality course year round for less than one of the "Premier" Courses here in Ottawa for a short summer. I'm feeling bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    The harder the better as far as I'm concerned. As long as it's fair. That's why i'm addicted to premium courses.

I was just pointing out the fact that you can play a PGA quality course year round for less than one of the "Premier" Courses here in Ottawa for a short summer. I'm feeling bitter.
    I like premium courses as well, and agree to an extent, but when you still measure golf by the number of balls you lose, Sawgrass may be too tough to enjoy...

Dan

Andru
    I like premium courses as well, and agree to an extent, but when you still measure golf by the number of balls you lose, Sawgrass may be too tough to enjoy...

Dan
    I understand what you're saying but, you're not going to play tournament tees and tournament rough evey week. So it may not be that tough. But I don't think I'd have fun playing PGA conditions all the time. I'd have to agree that may be too tough. Although. You would probably become a pretty good scambler.

I understand what you're saying but, you're not going to play tournament tees and tournament rough evey week. So it may not be that tough. But I don't think I'd have fun playing PGA conditions all the time. I'd have to agree that may be too tough. Although. You would probably become a pretty good scrambler after a few years.
    True about the scrambling and also the conditions. I just think that Sawgrass might be a step above my ability as a course. Maybe that's based partially on its tour conditions right now, or just the fact that we only see it from the pro tee point of view. I don't know, but I would prefer something more conquerable like Cascades, that rewards good shooting.

Dan

Andru
    True about the scrambling and also the conditions. I just think that Sawgrass might be a step above my ability as a course. Maybe that's based partially on its tour conditions right now, or just the fact that we only see it from the pro tee point of view. I don't know, but I would prefer something more conquerable like Cascades, that rewards good shooting.

Dan
    Cascades is nice. I like most of the holes and the scenery. I'd love to see bent grass from tee to green and maybe tweak a few holes. It has great potential.

Problem is $$$ and would anyone pay 80 bucks to play there after the improvements.

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    The fact of the matter is that we pay a lot of money to play golf around here.
    I guess its perspective and where you're from. Whenever I lived around Toronto and Montreal, golf stopped becoming a regular thing and became something "special" to plan. I found I had to travel further AND pay more...

I personally find the golf options and prices good. The winter, that's another story...

Gap Wedge redgun22 is on a distinguished road
    Hmm I'm not sure where I'm going with this. It just stings a little to know for less money I could be playing a course the Pros consider the 5th major.
    A few points from my perspective...

1) TPC Sawgrass benefits from having hundreds of green fee players per week paying US$300 plus untold hundreds on souvenirs at the Pro Shop... so memberships are heavily subsidised by green fee players.

2) The cost of high-end clubs in Ottawa is very reasonable when compared to Toronto and Montreal... e.g. $75K initiation for the Prestige ClubLink clubs in Toronto.

3) Three words : Supply and demand... if there wasn't anyone willing to pay big $ to join the Hunt and the Royal (which is now also at $30K init BTW), they would have to charge less. As it is, both clubs have lengthy waiting lists.

Good luck finding a place to play... unfortunately we don't have any TPCs around here... and we can't do much about winter

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Then you've got some clubs at the opposite end of the spectrum...

From the Bighorn Website http://www.bighorngolf.com:

BIGHORN Golf Club has established its reputation among the top private clubs in the United States. With a total commitment to exclusivity, only member and member-sponsored play is allowed. Membership at BIGHORN Golf Club is available only to BIGHORN property owners.

Club $50,000
    Provides use of Clubhouse, Spa & Fitness Center, dining and tennis facilities. No golf course access.

Individual Golf $200,000
    Individual, EQUITY membership, provides full use of two world-class golf courses and club facilities.

Dual Golf $325,000
    Member plus spouse EQUITY membership, provides full use of two world-class golf courses and club facilities

And checking out the prices of the housing at the same site, the cheapeast is just under 1.5M US for a lovely home, or 975K US for a simple lot, 1.895M US for a view lot!

Just pennies a day!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by redgun22
    A few points from my perspective...

1) TPC Sawgrass benefits from having hundreds of green fee players per week paying US$300 plus untold hundreds on souvenirs at the Pro Shop... so memberships are heavily subsidised by green fee players.

2) The cost of high-end clubs in Ottawa is very reasonable when compared to Toronto and Montreal... e.g. $75K initiation for the Prestige ClubLink clubs in Toronto.

3) Three words : Supply and demand... if there wasn't anyone willing to pay big $ to join the Hunt and the Royal (which is now also at $30K init BTW), they would have to charge less. As it is, both clubs have lengthy waiting lists.

Good luck finding a place to play... unfortunately we don't have any TPCs around here... and we can't do much about winter
    I never complained about winter.

I get your point but it still stings. (TPC) So much more for less. Ah well. Either move or suck it up.

As far as comparing Hunt or the Royal to King Valley or Grey Stone? I don't know about that. But I get your point.

But you're right it's supply and demand. There's nothing I can do.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I always find teh pricing interesting between Halifax and Ottawa. In Ottawa, memberships are fairly expensive, but green fees reasonable. In Halifax memberships are comparatively inexpensive - probably running about 50% of what it would cost at a comparable course here. However green fees are probably30% higher!

Gap Wedge redgun22 is on a distinguished road
    :
    As far as comparing Hunt or the Royal to King Valley or Grey Stone? I don't know about that. But I get your point.

But you're right it's supply and demand. There's nothing I can do.
    You're right... a better comparison would have been with St.Georges or the National GC (or Royal Montreal or Mt. Bruno in Montreal)... but I couldn't find any info on their initiation fees, which are likely even higher than King Valley or Grey Stone.

I wasn't comparing the quality of the courses... just the fact that they are among the best and most exclusive courses in their respective regions and thus will command premium $... and Ottawa premium $ are less than half of Toronto/Montreal premium $, so we don't have it too bad.

The best and most exclusive courses will always exact a premium... and if the courses/facilities are not good enough to satisfy the most discerning (and wealthy) golfers in the region, some enterprising person will build something better. That was the original plan for Eagle Creek - to become the "new" high-end private club in town. There were lots of factors, but I think that ultimately that didn't happen because it was too far from downtown to attract enough big $ members... which became good news for green fee golfers in this region!

While we don't have the big business barons or the population of Toronto or Montreal, Ottawa has more than it's fair share of affluent residents... and given that, I think that our green fees and membership rates are reasonable. But again, as you agreed, it all comes down to supply and demand...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by redgun22
    You're right... a better comparison would have been with St.Georges or the National GC (or Royal Montreal or Mt. Bruno in Montreal)... but I couldn't find any info on their initiation fees, which are likely even higher than King Valley or Grey Stone.

I wasn't comparing the quality of the courses... just the fact that they are among the best and most exclusive courses in their respective regions and thus will command premium $... and Ottawa premium $ are less than half of Toronto/Montreal premium $, so we don't have it too bad.

The best and most exclusive courses will always exact a premium... and if the courses/facilities are not good enough to satisfy the most discerning (and wealthy) golfers in the region, some enterprising person will build something better. That was the original plan for Eagle Creek - to become the "new" high-end private club in town. There were lots of factors, but I think that ultimately that didn't happen because it was too far from downtown to attract enough big $ members... which became good news for green fee golfers in this region!

While we don't have the big business barons or the population of Toronto or Montreal, Ottawa has more than it's fair share of affluent residents... and given that, I think that our green fees and membership rates are reasonable. But again, as you agreed, it all comes down to supply and demand...
    I could have done without the first paragraph, but I'll repeat "point taken".

You're assuming the best in each region as equals. That was my point. They are not. Comparing a club in Toronto with approx the same entrance fee is more appropriate. If you're comparing return on the dollar. Which was the orignal context of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    I always find teh pricing interesting between Halifax and Ottawa. In Ottawa, memberships are fairly expensive, but green fees reasonable. In Halifax memberships are comparatively inexpensive - probably running about 50% of what it would cost at a comparable course here. However green fees are probably30% higher!
    I had not really noticed that the green fees were much higher in the Halifax area, but you may be right. However, there were plenty of bargains. Courses like Granite Springs and Chester, for example, only costs $40 to play and each is a beautiful and challenging course. Admittedly, my home course (Oakfield) was more expensive to play ($65), but with over 700 members, we did not really want to many green fee players.

You are correct about memberships. They are very steep here compared to the East coast. Supply and demand dictates the price range, as one other writer noted. As it is recent studies have shown that the number of rounds being played in decreasing. If that is so, then we may find that the prices may correspondingly drop as an inducement. Let's hope.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I paid $70 for my round at Crowbush in 2000. A member of the club I played with payed $700 for his annual fee. He had a standing reservation at 7:00am every day.

Must be nice.

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Supply and demand dictates the price range, as one other writer noted. As it is recent studies have shown that the number of rounds being played in decreasing. If that is so, then we may find that the prices may correspondingly drop as an inducement. Let's hope.
    IMO- It may not be so. I had a conversation with one of club coowners' wife. She said that prices may go up. I asked " Shouldn't prices go down because of less demand and more courses?" She said: " If there isn't enough revenue, they will increase the prices to offset the cost."
    Well, figure that out on supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I paid $70 for my round at Crowbush in 2000. A member of the club I played with payed $700 for his annual fee. He had a standing reservation at 7:00am every day.

Must be nice.
    I had a similar experience this last summer at Brudenell, in fact, here is information from the GolfPEI site,

http://www.golfpei.ca/opening_dates.php

I don't know if it is for 2003/2004 or when, but it gives some approximation as Crowbush is listed at 80.00 on the page.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanifi
    IMO- It may not be so. I had a conversation with one of club coowners' wife. She said that prices may go up. I asked " Shouldn't prices go down because of less demand and more courses?" She said: " If there isn't enough revenue, they will increase the prices to offset the cost."
    Well, figure that out on supply and demand.
    That makes no sense. I guess they know better. I've never owned a golf course.

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    That makes no sense. I guess they know better. .
    They know better, they make players to compensate for the loss of revenue by paying more per round.
    It makes no sense to me either, but apparently makes sence to them. IMO

They know better, they make players to compensate for the loss of revenue by paying more per round.
    It makes no sense to me either, but apparently makes sence to them. IMO
    That pricing strategy will only work up to a point when golfers stop paying the escalating fees and the clubs cannot continue to cover their overhead and make a profit. Then the clubs will be forced either to reduce the price so as to entice a sufficient number of new golfers to join the fun or declare bankruptcy. As a golfer, Iwould prefer to see the former rather than the latter occur.

That pricing strategy will only work up to a point when golfers stop paying the escalating fees and the clubs cannot continue to cover their overhead and make a profit. Then the clubs will be forced either to reduce the price so as to entice a sufficient number of new golfers to join the fun or declare bankruptcy. As a golfer, Iwould prefer to see the former rather than the latter occur.
    Or go the way of Cedarhill and make it semi-private, allowing daily fee players to play.
    Colby

I think we all know the structure: you change price to maximize revenue, so if 10 golfers will pay $20, its better than 20 golfers who pay $10. When they reach that ceiling, they are forced to pull back prices, go bankrupt, or design a new revenue source.

A friend near Toronto, who owns 2 courses now, said his revenue isn't huge, its the investment in the land that pays off for him. When hes ready to retire, it will be a pricy piece of land.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    I think we all know the structure: you change price to maximize revenue, so if 10 golfers will pay $20, its better than 20 golfers who pay $10. When they reach that ceiling, they are forced to pull back prices, go bankrupt, or design a new revenue source.

A friend near Toronto, who owns 2 courses now, said his revenue isn't huge, its the investment in the land that pays off for him. When hes ready to retire, it will be a pricy piece of land.
    Supply and demand economics in this case involve a sliding scale where you find the equilibrium point of optimal business practice.

For a golf course, the breaking point would be where daily fee golfers weren't ready to play your course to make up for relatively discounted membership costs. The whole while, you keep in mind that the more people using your facilities means more money spent on upkeep. Beer sales etc could offset that as well, I suppose....

My point is that the whole thing is probably far more or less complex than we'd likely imagine. So many factors.

Dan

My point is that the whole thing is probably far more or less complex than we'd likely imagine. So many factors.
    I was simplying, but I think were making the same point.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    $15,000 Initiation Fee Approx 20,000 CAD
    $3,675 Annual Dues Approx. 4800 CAD
    Hunt Club 30K
    Royal Ottawa 25K
    Kanata Lakes 20K
    15000$ US And you can play all year. No snow!!!! I would join tomorrow
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    15000$ US And you can play all year. No snow!!!! I would join tomorrow
    Me too.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Woods
    Actually, having 20 golfers paying $10 can generate more revenue. Having more people increases proshop sales, rental equipment/carts, reataurant, and of course beer cart sales. In our region, with soo many choices, this is much more effective than charging more and having less people. Of course, what courses do here is offer up a lot of two-for-ones instead of simply lowering prices for everyone.

Thread Information