CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simulator golf

7 Iron mikec222 is on a distinguished road

Simulator golf

Well it's almost time to pack her in as far as the outdoor season goes. Just wondering who plays indoor simulated golf in the winter, and what others think of it?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I go fairly often over the winter, so here's my take:

As a social event involving golf
    - it can be fun. You're hitting a real golf ball with real golf clubs, scoring pars and birdies with friends, etc. You have to remember that this is just a computer's calculation of what your shot was, and there are few tricks to help make the calculation more... well, user-friendly. But if you don't get too worked up the results you get, its worth doing.

As a golf practice tool - its basically the same as hitting into a net, but with a little better feedback. When you hit into a net, you know by feel whether you've hit the sweet spot or made a terrible swing. In a similar manner, with a simulator the very good and very bad shots are usually (but not always) depicted accurately. Its the other shots that are a crapshoot.

Some people like it and some don't. You really have to try it yourself to decide.

7 Iron ForeontheFloor is on a distinguished road
    Unless the simulator has specific analyzing software (not just the driving range) then just use it like a big video game. In "game" play they are not 100% accurate. People seem to get upset that simulators are not accurate enough but like I said it is a video game. Just have fun with them. You can still mock your buddies and have a few drinks just like in real life. Some sims have really good analyzing software in a separate programs if you want to look at your swing. In my opinion I would only trust Golftek or About golf simulators in that order.

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    i dont mind them
    chipping and putting is hit or miss tho on it
    whats more fun is setting it to the ping ISI long drive range after the round and place some wagers

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I'm one of the people who just does not enjoy playing on a simulator. I do enjoy playing it twice a year with my buddies as a social outing with a few beers and some laughs, but that is about it.
    To me it's not a very good representation of golf... it's a video game in which you hit balls with your clubs. That is about the only similarity. You realize that fact verey quickly when you see someone who could not break 100 outdoors shoot 75 on a simulator
    Plus for me, swinging within a confined area screws up my swing. Even if there appears to be plenty of room, the fact that there is a ceiling up there keeps me from fully extending on shots with a driver.
    That is only my opinion. I know lots of people who absolutely love simulators and claim that practising on them over the winter months greatly helps their game. For me they are just not accurate enough to be of any benefit practicewise.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    i can see what you mean by the confinded space
    takes about 5-6 swings for me to believe that im not going to hit the wall
    especially since theres a 42 inch plasma behind me...

7 Iron mikec222 is on a distinguished road
    For me its the opposite, the simulators seem to tighten up my too long swing, and because the ball only goes 12 feet or so i tend to stay down on the ball better and not come out of my shot when I look up to see the ball. That's for drivers atleast. I'm not to huge on the mats for irons.

Are their any mats which are better then the others. Fiberbuilt ones are pretty good in my books.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    For the fun of it once or twice a winter I love sims but that's it, they are not accurate enough for me to "practice" on them and swinging really fast usually gives you an advantage which is a big problem for my game.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Lob Wedge Shank is on a distinguished road Shank's Avatar
    They can be a lot of fun with a group.
    As others have noted, maybe not the best way to practice but have a beer and enjoy the ride.

Thread Information