CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar

Motivation for new equipment

Well I have been browsing these forums for quite a few years and I notice the same people purchase and trade golf clubs on a regular basis. I am curious why this is the case here. I have been golfing for quite a few years (12 or so) and can count the sets of irons I have had through my tenure:

Irons
    1. Fairway Oversize Irons
    2. Cleveland TA3
    3. TaylorMade RAC LT

Woods and Drivers
    1. Fairway Set
    2. Callaway Steelheads
    3. Titleist 975D with Steelhead
    4. Titleist 985 with Steelhead FWY wood
    5. Titlest 905T (current) Titleist 904f
    6. Callaway FT-i (current)

Wedges
    1. Cleveland 588
    2. Titleist Vokey's

Putter
    1. Fairway Putter
    2. Odyssey Dual Force
    3. Scotty Cameron

If everyone could try and post the sets they have used in the past 10 or so years I think it would be really interesting to see the progressions we golfers experience.

In addition to that what drives you guys to continue to trade and purchase clubs on a regular basis? Or what drives you to change the type of clubs you use? For me I like the sound and and look of Titleist...I am trying the FT-i merely because I am experimenting with this so called new technology, but with my irons if the sounds, look and grooves are great then I try to stay with them as long as possible.

I think this could be a very interesting thread.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I'm not even going to try to list all the equipment I've played over my 8 yrs or so of golfing. But as for the constant changing, it's just fun to try new stuff. If something works, I'll keep it a little longer until I want to try something else. My scores don't really change trying out all this equipment, so why not do something that keeps it interesting???
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It's OK to call Geoff out by name you know.

Let me see here, in the last 10 years I am on my 3rd set of irons. The first two "wore out" in that they were forged/chrome plated sets and they got to a point where they were starting to look banged up and the grooves were starting to go, so I changed them out.

Drivers are a somewhat different story for me since I like to try the new technology. It's also important to note that over the last 10 years there have been a LOT of changes in driver technology in terms of them going from ~300cc in size (or maybe even smaller) to the current 460cc limit, etc. I've probably gone through 7-8 drivers in that time.

I'm on my 4th putter. I finally found one that works, so hopefully this will stick with me for a while.

Now if we want to talk about changing shafts, that's an entirely different story.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    A lot of forum members do like to try out new equippement.I,m not saying that you will improve your game but sometimes its just a case of confidence with certain clubs that give you that little boost to play better.
    I think we all know people who have played the same irons for 20 years and they know exactly how they will perform.For me its a question of trying out new stuff and I enjoy talking equippement with other golfers.
    I know that the clubs will not make me a better player but I dont do this for a living.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    ditto, ditto and ditto!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    I've had 2 sets of irons. My first was an off-the-shelf set of Arnie's Own cavity backs. They lasted me quite a number of years. I decided last fall to get my current set of Wishon 560MC's because I figured it was time to get a set of irons built for "me" not for "everyone". I'm very happy I made that move.
    Drivers - I've had 5 over the years. My first came with the set of Arnie's irons. The next 2 were "freebies" from Warrior Golf. Ok, but nothing to write home about. I last spring I bought a Cobra X-speed 9 degree, then in the fall I "fell into" a Cobra HS-9 for $120. I use the HS-9 regularly and the X-speed on very windy days (very low ball flight).
    Wedges - 2 sets. First was another "freebie" from Warrior. Current set is 2 Wishon CX-Satin SW & LW to match my 560MC's.
    Putters - I've had 2. My first was a Wilson Blackjack that I bought for $14. I'd still have it if I hadn't accidentally dropped it and snapped the graphite hosel. I now have a Yes Tracy that's almost exactly the same feel and weight as the Wilson.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I don't get to play as often as I'd like, so I burn through clubs as an outlet for my interest in the game. That said, I don't change my main clubs very often, just work some new ones in every once in a while for fun. I'm using the same driver I've had for more than two years now (though I have had a great many in that time, and even sold the main one for a brief period before getting it back), used the same 4w all year, the same hybrids for going on 3 years now, the irons are new this year, the wedges were the same all year, and putters don't count.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    and putters don't count.
    I'm glad putters don't count.

Mr. Wishon won't be happy that his clubs have been replaced in my bag by Callaway, and so far the results have been very good.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    I don't get to play as often as I'd like, so I burn through clubs as an outlet for my interest in the game. That said, I don't change my main clubs very often, just work some new ones in every once in a while for fun. I'm using the same driver I've had for more than two years now (though I have had a great many in that time, and even sold the main one for a brief period before getting it back), used the same 4w all year, the same hybrids for going on 3 years now, the irons are new this year, the wedges were the same all year, and putters don't count.
    gotta agree with these statements as well. If I could play more I would probably ho less.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    In the last 8 years
    Drivers - tm burner, 360xd ,cleveland comp,tm r5 ,tm r7 425, cobra xspeed , titleist 907 d2
    irons - tm 320 ,cally x-tour, wishon 550 m/c
    wedges - x-tours , ping mbs , vokeys , scratch
    putters - never compromise , odyssey #7 , odyssey black #1

I'll be adding a new set of irons pretty soon , other than that , i'll probably won't buy another club for quite some time .....
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    hmm let me start
    my first real i got when i was 11 back in 2001
    the bolded ones are THIS SEASON
    keep in mind my set was set aflame in a fire at the club this year
    thankfully i managed to pick up a set of ta2s and another 414 online

Irons:
    PowerBuilt Grand Slam
    Ping i3
    Hogan Apex Edge
    Ping eye2+
    Cleveland TA2
    Titleist 731pm
    Mizuno MP57
    Titleist AP2

Drivers:
    Ping ISI
    Titleist 975D
    Titleist 975J
    Cobra SS290
    Titleist 983E
    Cobra 414 Comp Tour
    Cobra X Speed Pro D
    Bang-O-Matic
    Big Bang
    SMT 455

Wedges
    Ping i3
    Cleveland 588
    Titleist SM Vokey
    Taylormade Rac

Woods
    Cleveland Quadpro

Hybrids
    Sonartec MD
    Hogan CFT

Putters
    Ping Answer 2
    Odyssey White Hot Rossie
    Scotty Cameron Red X
    Yes! Sophia
    Scotty Cameron Detour

not bad for a 19 year old ho eh

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I've had the same irons for 4 seasons (titleist 731PMs), kept my putter (scotty newport 2.5) for 3 years, my driver (ping G5) for 2 years, and my Wedges (Vokey SM) for 2 years. I used to change equipement regularly, but have pretty much stopped.

Although one day the driver will probably get changed out, the rest of the lot will stay until they wear out, and then I'll most likely be looking for the same models as replacements.

After years of changing, fitting, tweakibg etc I have to say I'm pretty happy. Of course not going to GT as often helps curb the desire for new equipement too
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    In the past 5 years:

Driver was an R5, now a TM Burner
    Fairway woods were TM Supersteel, now TM Burner
    Irons were TM Supersteel, now RAC LTs (3 seasons and counting)
    Wedges TM Rac Black (4 seasons and counting)
    Putter is another story. I'm going with Spackler here...putters don't count. Although, I did manage to get through the season with 1 gamer, and a couple of rounds testing a Scotty Belly that just didn't work out.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I cant go through a year without changing irons at least 3 times,but I am getting to a point where I have settled down on my gamers.I will always try out different clubs because i enjoy trying new stuff out.Right now I enjoy playing my Ping G2 irons but when summer comes along the Hogans are going in the bag plus whatever else I pick up from my fellow O.G.ers.As far as drivers,it has been in the basement for about 6 weeks now and I have replaced it with a 3 wood wich I hit better and almost the same distance.My scoring has been very good lately low 80,s and i credit the 3 wood and G2 irons for this.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I used to be a club 'ho, but I've reformed. This year I've had the exact same bag setup for the entire year - I've tested a few clubs along the way but nothing stuck.

During my 'hoing days I never got rid of a club until I was sure I found a better one to replace it. Gradually it got to the point where I was never really finding a "better" one - so why continue to tinker? When I got my irons cut to TLT lengths (severely limiting their resale value), I was basically committing myself to playing them for the long-term...

...which is where I think many club 'ho's are losing out. Unless you can customize them yourself, you end up playing a lot of "standard" sets that may not be suited to you. Or you decide to forgo customizing them because that would make them harder to resell. For that reason, I don't really believe people who say club 'hoing makes no difference to their score. You may play well, but to play your best I think that everything about your game has to be in sync - including your equipment.

Granted that getting the right equip. for you makes a diff.Thats why I try to stay with what works for me,getting my irons set up properly,the right stiff. of shafts.etcc.I am not at the stage where custom clubs will make a diff. in my game right now.

7 Wood sharon.gmc is on a distinguished road
    ditto!!!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I've had the same set for years now. I don't want to change my clubs because I have my game where I want it and don't want to have to tweek a new set.

These guys who change their clubs on a regular basis are really wierd. What's with that? It's like they are lacking something in their lives or have an obsession with new equipment. Like... get a life!
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    I've had the same set for years now. I don't want to change my clubs because I have my game where I want it and don't want to have to tweek a new set.

These guys who change their clubs on a regular basis are really wierd. What's with that? It's like they are lacking something in their lives or have an obsession with new equipment. Like... get a life!

Someone must have hijacked The Saint's account!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post

This from a guy who has rafter sales about every other month to clear out clubs

Who is this and what have you done with The Saint???
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information