CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Anyone Try P90X

8 Iron littlelefty is on a distinguished road
    nutrition is as important, if not more important than the workouts
    if your not eating right you wont restore what your body lost during the workouts
    i went threw a phase of not eating correctly which resulted in significant loss of strength and size even tho i was working out harder then the months before
    what it boiled down to was no enough protein or natural sugars and starches
    ebay seemed to be selling them fairly cheap with the nutrition guide
    maybe you know someone who can loan or photocopy the nutrition guide for you

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I'm slowly emailing Luc PDFs of the booklets. which reminds me I should send a couple more tonight.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

anyone ready to give up on it and sell them to me

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Now the program looks great but I think any one dedicated to a work out program will have good results but I am anxious to see how following a DVD helps motivation and makes the time go by quicker. I am going to take the before and after videos just to see the difference it will make on my 51 yr old body. Now I just need some stuff from Golfer Gofer to get going.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Just started Phase 2 and it’s just like starting over. The shoulder-tri-chest workout is incredible.

As for the nutrition guide, it’s more important then the workout. You can buy a race car but if you don’t put gas in it you won’t go far. If I hade to make a choice between working out or eating right I would chose a good nutrition plan. Combining both is dynamite.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Just started Phase 2 and it’s just like starting over. The shoulder-tri-chest workout is incredible.

As for the nutrition guide, it’s more important then the workout. You can buy a race car but if you don’t put gas in it you won’t go far. If I hade to make a choice between working out or eating right I would chose a good nutrition plan. Combining both is dynamite.

Mike
    BINGO, that's what most people that work-out don't always figure out. My fiancee worked with the people at BMI and they told her the key to losing weight consistently is 80% diet, 20% exercise. You can lose weight by just eating well, but its extremely difficult to lose weight by exercising and not altering your diet.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I am starting the program next week but wanted all of the supplements and the food ready to go. I went to Popeyes for some info on the "recovery drink" and "Protein Bars" that compliment the exercises. I could not afford Popeyes recovery formula since my sons and I are doing the program together so the nice lad told me to use my Protein shakes with some organic honey as an excellent recovery drink. THe P90X formula is loaded with sugar. As for protein bars, he also said as an alternative to have more protein shakes.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

You can get protein bars at Costco for less but it’s often too much protein. You should not take more then 1g of protein per pound. If you are 200 pounds heavy don’t take more then 200g of protein per day. That’s 40g per meal on a 5 meal a day diet. I get Vector bars (9g prot/bar) at Wal-Mart for 2$ per 4 bars. Eat one bar plus a protein shake and you can easily reach 40g of protein and 400 cal.

Mike

Mike, the calory intake is increased by 600 for the energy required for the workout. I am pretty sure they are recommending way more than 40g of protein/day. In fact for the 200lb man they want 7 servings of 200cal of protein (lean meat, fish...). Would that in itself not exceed 40g of protein. Only 160cal of carbs but 4 servings of veggies, 1 fat, 1 fruit, 3 dairy and snacks (more carbs with some protein). Does this seem odd to you, I know the fewer carbs will definitely impact your lean body mass.
    Lefty Lucas

I calculated the calorie intake in level II and it sums up to +-2500cal a day.

It’s 40g of protein per meal on a 5 meal a day program that sums up to 200g of protein per day.

If you take too much protein per day your kidneys will take a beating in the long run. This is not a P90X thing, it’s a medical statement. Search the internet or consult a doctor before exceeding that dose of protein. I might be wrong but I have read a lot of articles that use the 1g protein per pound statement.

Ah, thanks Mike, that makes more sense to me now. I will ensure that my protein shakes = 1 protein portion in that case and not exceed the 200g/day. It also explains why their recovery drink is sugar heavy.
    Lefty Lucas

I got a set of BowFlex 552 adjustable dumbbells for Christmas. What a great present. They go from 5 to 52.5lbs in 2 seconds. 1.25lbs incremental. It speeds up and maximizes my P90X workout.

Mike

Yes, they are very nice, there is someone on the site selling a set for $600, too rich for my taste. I have 2 x 25lb bells and my Bowflex where I do the workouts so I will be able to increase the tension as I progress.

Mike, if I also play badminton for a couple of hours 2x/week I guess I should also increase my calorie intake accordingly, no?
    Lefty Lucas

If you’re replacing a P90X training for a badminton session then no but you are doing both in the same day twice a week you will need more cals. It all depends if you need to lose weight. If you have excess fat then stick to 2500cal a day until you are at your desired weight.

Your body will tell you if you need more food as long as you don’t listen to the junk side of your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Your body will tell you if you need more food as long as you don’t listen to the junk side of your brain.
    Thanks Mike, I do need to lose weight so I guess I will listen to my body if I need more food but as for not listening to the junk side, that is tough and when you need food you cannot have that stuff around or its gone!!

I play badminton at night till about 9 or 9:30, what would you suggest is best to eat before and after badminton? I have struggled to find the best formula. I eat 2 hours before, of course hydrate all day but struggle with hunger afterward as I do not want to eat a big meal before bed.
    Lefty Lucas

I’m a sugar magnet myself. I make sure I have nothing available at home or else. Fortunately I am not the type that stores fat easily.

Eat diner 2-3 hours before and nothing else. The best thing after a late workout is a protein smoothie. It’s easy to digest since its liquid and the dairy protein is the best type during sleep for muscle recovery.

I play at 7 so I could have supper at 4 when I get home, a smoothie is a great idea.
    Lefty Lucas

hm im curious to see how well it works, iv been in the gym for a while and got up to 235, hoping to bring it down to 200-210
    bench is 245, curls are 50lb dbs, and squats are around 180-200 depending
    im hoping to see these numbers rise
    me and my buddy did the chest and back workout yestruday he thought he would give me a taste and he ended up qutting half way threw and had to hit the washroom hehe

I’m not sure this will make you a power lifter but it will get you into shape. Benching 245, curl 50lb and squats around 180-200 is very good. This program will make you a lean machine and make those muscles pop out.

thats the plan
    loose extra weight and get some def
    ill keep you posted

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    You can get at Costco now.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Is anyone done with their P90X dvd's and feel like lending them to me!?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Gonna Resurect this thread...maybe:

So I decided to start P90x and did my first chest and back work out. Used the bands for the chin up stuff just because I am still trying to fix the bar in my basement door which is finished on one side and not the other. I must say I am pretty wiped. Gonna try and do this in the morning before work.

Anyone on here do it from start to finish religiously?

Thread Information