CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Try P90X

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Anyone Try P90X

If you have, or know someone who has(first hand only), what is your experience with it?
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Awesome, I almost got sucked into buying this the other night. I'm interested in knowing as well. From reviews ive read on the net I think you need to be in decent shape in the first place to have it really do what it's supposed to. The thinking behind it makes complete sense though.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I watched the infomercial and decided I needed a beer and some chips.

I think I saw a thread over on the GEA where a guy had tried it. I can't remember his results though.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I got tired just watching the infomercial
    Andrew

I have done a fair amount of research on this and almost everyone says it work and it works well. With the caveat that one must strictly adhere to the program, including the nutritional guide to see the maximum amount of benefit.

The only negatives I have found so far are:

1) You have to be in some sort of a decent shape to start this, as most of the exercises are to failure and can be dangerous for those in poor health.

2) On some health and workout boards the opinion is that what is in P90x is just common sense that those with nutritional and workout knowledge do already.

The fact that it is all there in one conveninet package + the fact that I can do it at home, while with the kids is what appeals to me. At this point in life, with 2 small kids and a wife that works till 6:30pm to 7:00 pm, I just don't seem to have a lot of time for gym.
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Awesome, I almost got sucked into buying this the other night. I'm interested in knowing as well. From reviews ive read on the net I think you need to be in decent shape in the first place to have it really do what it's supposed to. The thinking behind it makes complete sense though.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you guys are looking for some serious hurt, check out the "Tabata Protocol".

All the abuse you can handle in only 4 minutes!
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I have it and it is awsome, but don't even think of trying this unless you are in good shape. It is not for those who are out of shape and are trying to get into good shape. It is built for those who are in good shape and want something different. I would consider myself to be in above average shape and this thing rocks me. The chest and back excercise left me sore for more then a week the first time I tried it. The other thing is is that you will need supplements to do this. The workouts are to intense and you're to sore to not have some help. I don't really do the diet, I already eat right but I like to have some beers and whatever on the weekends. I like the change in workouts since I was tried of going to the gym. Most workouts are an hour with the ab ripper added its about an hour and 20 mins. You need very little weights and a chin up bar. You should be able to do roughly 30-40 pushups, at least 7 chin-ups and 5 pull-ups. test yourself and if you are not at that min then I owuldn't even bother with P90X yet, work out with a modified P90X workout routine, i.e push ups, pull ups and sit ups, until you get get to those min levels. I can't stress enough that this isn't a get big/fit quick thing and it's not for the couch potato to muscleman guy. Good Luck an dfeel free to ask me some ques.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I’m in the third week and it’s crazy. Got to get some sleep. With two kids, it isn’t easy. It’s a great training.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I have been training for one year now and just started the P90X program and let me tell you there is still some DVD that I can’t train to the end without missing one rep. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    I have done a fair amount of research on this and almost everyone says it work and it works well. With the caveat that one must strictly adhere to the program, including the nutritional guide to see the maximum amount of benefit.

The only negatives I have found so far are:

1) You have to be in some sort of a decent shape to start this, as most of the exercises are to failure and can be dangerous for those in poor health.

2) On some health and workout boards the opinion is that what is in P90x is just common sense that those with nutritional and workout knowledge do already.

The fact that it is all there in one conveninet package + the fact that I can do it at home, while with the kids is what appeals to me. At this point in life, with 2 small kids and a wife that works till 6:30pm to 7:00 pm, I just don't seem to have a lot of time for gym.
    I don’t think that you need to be in shape to do this training. I have a working sheet that I write my stuff down. Someone that is out of shape and/or obese can start at his or here pace. They will progress immensely within a couple of weeks especially if they fallow the nutritional menu detailed for the complete 90 day program. You eat lots of good food and you don’t get hungry trust me. This helps on the cravings. The only downside is that it costs a lot for food. I eat 2450 good calories per day.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    I have it and it is awsome, but don't even think of trying this unless you are in good shape. It is not for those who are out of shape and are trying to get into good shape. It is built for those who are in good shape and want something different. I would consider myself to be in above average shape and this thing rocks me. The chest and back excercise left me sore for more then a week the first time I tried it. The other thing is is that you will need supplements to do this. The workouts are to intense and you're to sore to not have some help. I don't really do the diet, I already eat right but I like to have some beers and whatever on the weekends. I like the change in workouts since I was tried of going to the gym. Most workouts are an hour with the ab ripper added its about an hour and 20 mins. You need very little weights and a chin up bar. You should be able to do roughly 30-40 pushups, at least 7 chin-ups and 5 pull-ups. test yourself and if you are not at that min then I owuldn't even bother with P90X yet, work out with a modified P90X workout routine, i.e push ups, pull ups and sit ups, until you get get to those min levels. I can't stress enough that this isn't a get big/fit quick thing and it's not for the couch potato to muscleman guy. Good Luck an dfeel free to ask me some ques.
    I agree and disagree. It is an extreme workout program but anyone can do it. If you can’t do chin ups, pull ups and push ups you can start with elastic bands like they show in the program. My wife trains with me and she could not do 1 pull up not even halfway up at the testing phase. She can now do a few. You have modified moves for beginners.

Supplements are a must like you say. The leg and back workout is crazy and plexometrics (SP?) is the mother of all workouts like Tony says. I could hardly walk following the first week. Unbelievable training program. A must try this winter.

Mike

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    iv been in the gym for 3 years consistantly
    iv gotten to a place where i like, not too big but big enough where it effects my golf swing
    now my goal is to drop 20lbs
    from what i seen from friends, i want to try the p90x workouts, if i dont see results in a month than ill scrap it
    until then im going to do the Tabata Protocol like jv mentioned above and ill let you guys know how that is
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 11-11-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Piracy, not permitted on the site.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    well today was my first attempt at the P90X workout. I did the arms/shoulders and it was AMAZING! At some points i was only using about 15lbs, but was sweating more than ever before, feels great!! As 'mberube' said, you don't have to be in fit form to do this workout. I am not in great shape at all, although i am active. They always have 2-3 different ways of doing each exercise for the different levels.

I know i can not even do 1 chin up and maybe 15-20 push-ups, so if i can do this i know a lot of people can. I know i have only done the one session, but its a very intense workout, feels great when you are finished.

I am pairing the P90X workouts with spin class for all around results, should be fun on the body!!!

I guess what I was saying is that you should be in good shape to get the most out of these workouts and get the results that they show. Anyone can do any type of exercise if they just do it the way they want. I can do a marathon and walk the entire thing but is it really the same as the guy who trained for it and ran the entire thing? In my opinion P90X is better suited for those in half decent shape, as described in their manual. I think that there are other programs that will get you to the right level for P90X that people should do first. I'm all for any one getting active but you could def hurt yourself trying this work out if you are not ready and Dave be careful when you do the Chest and Back workout because it’s all pull-ups, chin-ups and every type of push up you can think of. I'd recommend using bands at first until you can build up the muscle before jumping on the pull up bar and get some baby play mats to do you push ups on because when you collapse on the pushups it helps the knees to have something soft, happened to me last night on the decline pushups. Others using this, Divebombers are.......awesome!

I have bought P90X as well and am psyched to try it out. My last game of the season will be this Saturday and first workout on P90X will be on Sunday.

Good for you! You'll love it. Hardest part is finding the time but you always feel better when you do. A good high protien drink and a creatine after work drink is all you realy need for supplements. Watch for the high fat, high calorie protien drinks, you don't want those.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    I have bought P90X as well and am psyched to try it out. My last game of the season will be this Saturday and first workout on P90X will be on Sunday.

Reza...I hear after completing this program you will have a very close resemblance to Adam Scott!

Good for you! You'll love it. Hardest part is finding the time but you always feel better when you do. A good high protien drink and a creatine after work drink is all you realy need for supplements. Watch for the high fat, high calorie protien drinks, you don't want those.
    I take Whey powder shakes every morning with a protein bar as a morning snack and BSN Celmass creatine twice a day. I can’t find a recovery drink though.

What do you take?

Mike

PS: Pull ups easy aid for those who struggle, this is a good mental boost and muscle building helper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEJkiRyvy0w

Mike

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    For a recovery drink, you want some carbs and protein. Try Muscle Milk or EAS Muscle Armour.

If you want to try a functional strength program, try www.coreperformance.com

Well, I will need to be stretched out on the rack, go through the Michael Jackson skin treatment and some reconstructive facial surgery, but I will get there.
    Then I won't be told people think I look like Rocco Mediate!

Quote Originally Posted by gropper View Post
    Reza...I hear after completing this program you will have a very close resemblance to Adam Scott!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Then I won't be told people think I look like Rocco Mediate!
    I think it's more the back issues. That must be it....

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I take Whey powder shakes every morning with a protein bar as a morning snack and BSN Celmass creatine twice a day. I can’t find a recovery drink though.

What do you take?

Mike
    You don't need a "recovery Drink", just take your creatine right after you workout along with a protien drink and there you go!

As for pull up, you can also use a chair, either in front of you, like in the P90X videos or behind you and put both legs on it.

Mike are you following the diet too? I haven't been but I had a set back and I am now starting over from scratch and I think I will try the diet as well just maybe not exactly as they laid out but pretty close.

You don't need a "recovery Drink", just take your creatine right after you workout along with a protien drink and there you go!

As for pull up, you can also use a chair, either in front of you, like in the P90X videos or behind you and put both legs on it.

Mike are you following the diet too? I haven't been but I had a set back and I am now starting over from scratch and I think I will try the diet as well just maybe not exactly as they laid out but pretty close.
    I use a chair with one leg when I get tired only to get to 8 reps if I have trouble getting there. Let’s just say that at the end, pull ups are painful….

Yep I follow the diet as close as possible. It helps when the wife is following the same program. The food is good. Lot’s of meet and egg whites. Sometimes I am unable to finish the meal. I’m leaner and my 6-pack is starting to show because of the diet. It’s a great motivator.

I also love yoga. It will do wonders for my golf swing, I think.

Mike

As far as their nutrition goes, what do most of you who have small kids do?

Small kids need a certain amount of everything including fat, in their diet, and while the P90X nutrition guide may be good for someone like me to follow, it may not be suitable for kids. And I really don't feel like making to sets of meals every day.

I don't have kids but my wife is pregnant and the smell of meat makes her sick so she rarely eats what I eat. Basically means two sepreate meals. In the beginning of P90X it cuts the carbs out,, but in phase 3 you are hammering the carbs. Basically I think your kids could eat the same as you, you just might have to add something extra to theirs or take some away later on. The food is all really good stuff that def won't hurt your kids. If you do go with seperate meals, then make extra when you do yours. I make at least two meals at a time that way I have left overs.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    So did you take a before pic?.. .. plan on showing us the results every 30 days?

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    well today was my first attempt at the P90X workout. I did the arms/shoulders and it was AMAZING! At some points i was only using about 15lbs, but was sweating more than ever before, feels great!! As 'mberube' said, you don't have to be in fit form to do this workout. I am not in great shape at all, although i am active. They always have 2-3 different ways of doing each exercise for the different levels.

I know i can not even do 1 chin up and maybe 15-20 push-ups, so if i can do this i know a lot of people can. I know i have only done the one session, but its a very intense workout, feels great when you are finished.

I am pairing the P90X workouts with spin class for all around results, should be fun on the body!!!
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

As far as their nutrition goes, what do most of you who have small kids do?

Small kids need a certain amount of everything including fat, in their diet, and while the P90X nutrition guide may be good for someone like me to follow, it may not be suitable for kids. And I really don't feel like making to sets of meals every day.
    I have two kids and they eat the same thing we do. It’s regular food. Nothing low fat crazy. Pork, chicken, beef, salads, veggies, dairy, eggs. Nothing off the chart. I don’t like the word diet. This is just a great food plan.

Well said. It's really just stuff that most people eat and the rest should eat. It just gives you the protion sizes and it also has a list of substitutes incase you're not big on a certain item.

Thread Information