100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aces are Wild

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Aces are Wild

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    So general concensus has it , unbunch your panties and KEEP POSTING lol
    Well, all right!! Let's see if the writing/reading has improved.

Gerry is down 4 holes with 5 to play when we arrive at #14 at Greensmere. I watch him pull his 7 iron out of the bag. With a mighty slash into the October breeze he lofts the ball high into the air and it gently drops on to the green spinning back into the hole for an ace. After his bellow stops echoing amongst the trees he turns to me and says, "That's my first hole in one with a 5 iron."

What's the ruling?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    BC Mist has a flare with the words this evening and Gerry gets a lesson and goes 5 down?

Would letting your fellow competitor know your club not be like giving advice and in match play loss of hole?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    BC Mist has a flare with the words this evening and Gerry gets a lesson and goes 5 down?

Would letting your fellow competitor know your club not be like giving advice and in match play loss of hole?
    Gerry is usually more than 5 down by this point, but I thought I would write so that he would seem to still have a snowball's chance in Haites to win.

In this scenario the other player is an opponent versus a fellow competitor and so the consequence would be different. Yes, it is like giving advice in that his intent was to con me into hitting a longer club than required, presumably over the green, guaranteeing him the win. But, did it work?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    That Gerry, he's a crafty one, but it's game over.

8-1/9 Misleading Statement About Club Selection

Q. A made a statement regarding his club selection which was purposely misleading and was obviously intended to be overheard by B, who had a similar shot. What is the ruling?

A. A was in breach of Rule 8-1 and lost the hole in match play or incurred a two-stroke penalty in stroke play.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    That Gerry, he's a crafty one, but it's game over.
    Close, but no cigar.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    You're a bad man Gerry! You are a very, very bad man!
    Attached Images
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Close, but no cigar.
    Just curious, why not? I think the quoted decision covers it exactly.

I am assuming that Gerry was wearing his glasses and was able to distinguish a "7" from a "5" and as such intentionally misled you.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    A little more needed in this one. Only BC could dig deep enough to find this one.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Just curious, why not? I think the quoted decision covers it exactly.

I am assuming that Gerry was wearing his glasses and was able to distinguish a "7" from a "5" and as such intentionally misled you.
    He was, he could and he did.

You did quote the decision correctly and at first glance it makes sense and is the appropriate consequence. But, Rule 2-2 says, "When a player has holed out and his opponent has been left with a stroke for the half, if the player subsequently incurs a penalty, the hole is halved." Gerry was in in 1, I had a shot to tie him, and he then broke a rule. Halved hole. While the decision you quoted and the statement above somewhat conflict with each other, the statement supersedes the decision. Now, is the hole is halved with holes in one?

If Gerry's stroke finished 1" from the hole, he definitely loses the hole. My evil mind now asks one more question. What happens if Gerry's ball is lodged against the flagstick with just enough ball above the hole to be visible from the tee and where there is no doubt that when the FS is moved slightly, the ball will fall into the hole?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

You did quote the decision correctly and at first glance it makes sense and is the appropriate consequence. But, Rule 2-2 says, "When a player has holed out and his opponent has been left with a stroke for the half, if the player subsequently incurs a penalty, the hole is halved." Gerry was in in 1, I had a shot to tie him, and he then broke a rule. Halved hole. While the decision you quoted and the statement above somewhat conflict with each other, the statement supersedes the decision. Now, is the hole is halved with holes in one?

If Gerry's stroke finished 1" from the hole, he definitely loses the hole. My evil mind now asks one more question. What happens if Gerry's ball is lodged against the flagstick with just enough ball above the hole to be visible from the tee and where there is no doubt that when the FS is moved slightly, the ball will fall into the hole?
    If you read 2-6, then yes, the hole is halved with aces.

As far as the second question goes, Gerry would be permitted to exercise his rights under Rule 17-4. You cannot concede his next stroke because technically his hole is not complete until he is allowed to move or remove the flagstick to see if the ball will continue to the bottom of the hole. (reference Dec. 17-4/2)
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

You did quote the decision correctly and at first glance it makes sense and is the appropriate consequence. But, Rule 2-2 says, "When a player has holed out and his opponent has been left with a stroke for the half, if the player subsequently incurs a penalty, the hole is halved."
    That's a funny one.

IMHO if you have incurred a penalty where the penalty is loss of hole, then 2-2 should not be applied.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Gerry loses the hole in the scenario where the ball is stuck against the pin, because the ball is not considered "holed" until the pin is removed.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Gerry loses the hole in the scenario where the ball is stuck against the pin, because the ball is not considered "holed" until the pin is removed.
    Not quite. While Gerry has made a stroke at the ball, the result of that stroke is not decided until the flagstick is removed from the hole. 17-4 entitles Gerry, or another person authorized by him, to remove the flagstick in order to determine whether or not the ball is considered holed with the previous stroke.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Not quite. While Gerry has made a stroke at the ball, the result of that stroke is not decided until the flagstick is removed from the hole. 17-4 entitles Gerry, or another person authorized by him, to remove the flagstick in order to determine whether or not the ball is considered holed with the previous stroke.
    But while we are wiating for the result of the stroke, our good man Gerry breaches 8-1, right?
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    But while we are wiating for the result of the stroke, our good man Gerry breaches 8-1, right?
    Not necessarily. Pending the result of the flagstick being removed, either 8-1 or 2-2 could apply. If the flag is removed and the ball remains unholed then yes, 8-1 applies, and Gerry loses the hole. But if the ball is considered holed after the flagstick is removed, Rule 2-2 applies, and the hole is halved.

The really cool thing about all of this is, if the ball is holed, BC gets to claim the rarest of all feats. A hole-in-one without making a stroke.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    what if he though it was his 5 iron? do you need to prove intent to mislead?
    also, what is the ruling if he said the correct club?

Quote Originally Posted by g8r View Post
    what if he though it was his 5 iron? do you need to prove intent to mislead?
    also, what is the ruling if he said the correct club?
    "Advice" is any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his play, the choice of a club or the method of making a stroke.

Whether you say the right club or not, you're best off to keep those comments to yourself.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    The really cool thing about all of this is, if the ball is holed, BC gets to claim the rarest of all feats. A hole-in-one without making a stroke.
    Stroke or not, he still has to buy the round
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information