100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

9th hole at edilwisse

its maybe 300 yards from the whites... anyway, there is a lot of thick grassy area on the left. If you hit your ball into the middle of that there is no way to get there. There is water in there but its not all water. There were no red stakes either. Is he allowed to drop at point of entry? or is it 3 off the tee?

(the brown stuff in the pic below)

Also, on another hole he he was beside a small tree. Probably a little taller than a wedge. He says you get free relief. I said you only get it if its on the scorecard or if the tree is marked to indicate you get free relief. Anyway, i told him to just play two balls and get the ruling later. Which ball should he have played? Is he allowed to play two balls?

Finally, It was really windy, we were on the green and he put his club down to putt and the ball started moving. any penalty??? It was def the wind that made the ball move

thanks boys.

General question, does something have to be staked to take relief from it? I've played courses before where its obvious it its hazard but no stakes... what to do?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    wow ....thats a lot of questions ....

Will start with the ball moving on the green ....he has addressed the ball , therefore under the rules he has caused it to move , even tho its clearly the wind ....he incurs a 1 shot penalty , and it sounds like he didnt replace the ball , so slap another 1 on him

The drop from the tree would only be under local rule , written on the card or local rules board

Yes , if it is strokeplay , he can play 2 balls , must nominate which ball he wants to count before he plays, and MUST report it to the committee afterwards no matter what scores are made with either or both balls

Now the initial question ....Without actually seeing the area you mention , it does sound like it should be declared and defined a water hazard by the committee .......
    Even tho it hasnt been , if it is a water hazard by definition under the rules , a player can still take relief under Decision 26-3 ....if it is known or virtually certain his ball is in that area
    Again tho , I say without seeing it .....maybe another good time to play 2 balls "rule 3-3"

Others Im sure will add more

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    Will start with the ball moving on the green ....he has addressed the ball , therefore under the rules he has caused it to move , even tho its clearly the wind ....he incurs a 1 shot penalty , and it sounds like he didnt replace the ball , so slap another 1 on him
    Two related questions:
    (1) after address, his putter is 2" behind the ball when the wind blows the ball into the putter stopping the ball. He removes the putter and the ball rolls 20' further away from the hole. Where does he play his next stroke from?

(2) Same as (1) except while the ball is rolling away from where it was initially addressed, he sticks out his foot and stops the ball. What penalties?

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Two related questions:
    (1) after address, his putter is 2" behind the ball when the wind blows the ball into the putter stopping the ball. He removes the putter and the ball rolls 20' further away from the hole. Where does he play his next stroke from?

(2) Same as (1) except while the ball is rolling away from where it was initially addressed, he sticks out his foot and stops the ball. What penalties?

I can't decide who makes my head hurt more, lyle or my girlfriend LOL
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    I can't decide who makes my head hurt more, lyle or my girlfriend LOL
    the answer is: your spelling...

"edilwisse" deary me, and you had to go to the site to get the picture as well...

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    I'll hazard a guess ...in both case no additional penalties as the ball had to be relaced where it originally lay

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    I'll hazard a guess ...in both case no additional penalties as the ball had to be relaced where it originally lay
    As the player has addressed the ball, rule 18-2b applies. 1 stroke penalty, replace the ball. Decision 18-2b/11.

If the ball has not been addressed and it hits the players club, then the ball is replaced at the point where the club stopped it. 1 stroke penalty. Decision 19-2/1.5.

Now, if the player DELIBERATELY stops the ball, it gets a little dicey. The player is in breach of 1-2, exerting influence on the ball. If he gained little or no advantage, the breach is NOT serious, he gets a two shot penalty and must play the next stroke from the point where he stopped the ball with his foot. If the breach was serious, the committee may impose a penalty of disqualification.

Was it John Daly at the US Open a few years ago at Pinehurst who did just that, stopping/deflecting the ball as it was rolling off one of the putting greens?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    The brown stuff is a swamp. My guess is drop in front of it.(right in front of the ladies tee

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    It looks like a water hazard that has not been correctly marked by the Committee. If so the player should proceed under Rule 26 (Dec 26/3)

Thread Information