• Fitting

10 19.23%
  • Lessons

42 80.77%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Lowering handicap- Fitting or lessons??

OK. Your handicap has been stable for the last couple years and you have the choice between lessons or get fitted. You can't have both. Which one in your opinion will help you lower your handicap?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    OK. Your handicap has been stable for the last couple years and you have the choice between lessons or get fitted. You can,t have both. Which one in your opinion will help you lower your handicap?
    Logic says lessons but record sales at Golftown may indicate otherwise.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Bit of a simple question, but I know where you're coming from.

I'll put my money on the guy with the mis-matched set and the solid swing, over the hacker with the bag of high-tech hammers any day.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    lessons no doubt. really I think playing more is the key to me playing better. but that ain't gonna happen
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Sand Wedge con22 is on a distinguished road con22's Avatar
    I took a lesson i think a month ago and it really helped because the pro told me what i was doing wrong and i was able to fix it. A new set of clubs isnt gonna make a difference if your swing is bad.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I am often surprised that some people often say they can't afford to take any lessons, but then proceed to play many many rounds of golf at fairly pricey courses

If you are taking the game that seriously then I think it better to give up a few of those mediocre games, get lessons and properly fitted clubs and go for quality rather than quantity for a while.

I, personally think that this would be for the newer player, not necessarily the really established player who has his/her own swing that works for them. (unless they are still really bad )

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Generally speaking lessons should provide more benefit - but there are exceptions to every rule.

If your handicap is stable because you have a sound, repeatable (though not perfect) golf swing, then taking lessons from a golf pro with a completely different swing theory to what you have been using can really screw things up - especially if you don't really have the time to practice. It helps to do a little research and realistically assess what you're looking for before simply signing up with the closest golf pro - and even then there are no guarantees.

OTOH, if you're 6'-8 and playing 30-year-old Spaldings you got at a garage sale, then you will benefit a great deal from using good-quality clubs with the proper shafts, lengths and lie angles. And there is almost NO RISK with club-fitting - you may not see any improvement but you won't be any worse off either. The only negative with club-fitting is that it will be more difficult to sell/trade your clubs.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    The only negative with club-fitting is that it will be more difficult to sell/trade your clubs.
    You've obviously never met Geoff.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    If I had to choose, I would take lessons over new or fitted equipment. As someone else mentioned, equipment isn't going to fix swing faults or improper technique. Having a new set of clubs fitted to an inconsistent swing isn't going to get the scores down. Once the swing is under control, then it's time to get them fitted to the "new" swing.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I want to vote with the "It depends".

If you are a high handicapper, lessons might help more than a fitting. If you're already a fairly good golfer then a fitting might help more.

With lessons if you can't devote enough time to them or to the followup then you won't get as much benefit.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Putter MichaelR is on a distinguished road
    A bit of a loaded question, but what do lessons cost in your particular area? Anybody?

Michael

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    core strength training should be on here as well...
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    If your only goal is to lower your handicap,short game lessons and practice, plain and simple.

If you can get the ball in play off the tee consistently, then short game will help.

Scrambling for double-bogey doesn't really help anyone's handicap.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RossRed View Post
    A bit of a loaded question, but what do lessons cost in your particular area? Anybody?

Michael
    Anywhere from about $40.00 for 45 mins to $75 for 30mins. Depends on the instructor.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    I've done both. I was fitted before I bought (2005) and I took lessons after (2005-08). My fitting did not include the high tech stuff like MOI, frequency matching, etc but I believe it was somewhat better than the off the rack approach. The lessons were at the OAC with Marc Peterson and Kevin Haime. I still refer to the tips and drills when on the course or at the range. My main reason for believing in the lessons first approach is that I can occasionally (4/10) hit a great shot, exactly as I have planned it. My problem seems to be inconsistency, which plagues most golfers. I hit most of my clubs the same trajectory and distance (i.e. 7i, 135-145) which pleases me but I often chunk one (head lift) or spray it (pull, slice). Seems that my swing needs more work and that the best club fit in the world will not help that... IMHO

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Short game lessons to be precise. The game is played 50Y in. You need a lot of talent and practice to perfect your long game. It’s easier to learn to chip and putt then to hit 10+ greens per round. Strokes are saved around the greens. Show me a player that can scramble and I guaranty you this player wins a lot of Sunday wagers.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    You've obviously never met Geoff.

I don't get my stuff fitted.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    As well you shouldn't given the short time the clubs remain with you. Your specs would only limit the number of people lining up to buy your clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I don't get my stuff fitted.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Get fitted. Save money. No more need to ho!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I had a friend with whom I played golf in Halifax. He bought at least two new sets of clubs every year. Why? Because he was convinced that the magic set was waiting for him. It was only a matter of time before they found their way into his hands. Funny, but that never happened in the 12 years that we played together. On the few occasions that I suggested he try lessons, he looked at me like I was crazy. You just have to shake your head in bemusement.

7 Wood sharon.gmc is on a distinguished road
    for me, lessons. . .

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Bit of a simple question, but I know where you're coming from.

I'll put my money on the guy with the mis-matched set and the solid swing, over the hacker with the bag of high-tech hammers any day.
    HEY!!! I represent that comment!!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Short game lessons to be precise. The game is played 50Y in. You need a lot of talent and practice to perfect your long game. It’s easier to learn to chip and putt then to hit 10+ greens per round. Strokes are saved around the greens. Show me a player that can scramble and I guaranty you this player wins a lot of Sunday wagers.

Mike
    I agree 100% with Mike - for the typical Sunday hacker learning to save strokes around the green is far easier and realistic than grooving the perfect swing. By definition the Sunday Hacker doesn't have/spend the time on the range that it will take to learn a good swing.

Take Indio for example (I'm not saying he's a hacker - far from it)....I've never seen a guy get up and down so often - I saw him rattle off 12 or 13 straight pars in a round last summer I'm I'm sure he only hit 2-3 of those GIR.

He's proof that you can score well if you have a strong short game

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I agree 100% with Mike - for the typical Sunday hacker learning to save strokes around the green is far easier and realistic than grooving the perfect swing. By definition the Sunday Hacker doesn't have/spend the time on the range that it will take to learn a good swing.

Take Indio for example (I'm not saying he's a hacker - far from it)....I've never seen a guy get up and down so often - I saw him rattle off 12 or 13 straight pars in a round last summer I'm I'm sure he only hit 2-3 of those GIR.

Ok, what are you sucking up for, what do you need??? Do you think I will give you more strokes??

You also forgot to mention that when it came up on the 14th tee that I had 12 pars in a row, I went double tripple double on the next 3 holes
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Ok, what are you sucking up for, what do you need??? Do you think I will give you more strokes??

You also forgot to mention that when it came up on the 14th tee that I had 12 pars in a row, I went double tripple double on the next 3 holes
    Well, the end of that round kinda didn't fit with the point that I was making.......like other's have said, scrambling for a double doesn't exactly "Help" the handicap

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Well, see I'm not TERRIBLE around the greens, I'm TERRIBLE on the tee box. My lessons this spring will be focused on one thing, getting the ball in the fairway and the long approach.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Hybrid Bravesox is on a distinguished road Bravesox's Avatar
    professionals only swing 80 to 85% and still miss the fairway, although that may be because they are trying to shape their shot...it should tell you swing a controlled swing of about 80 something percent and chances are you'll have more fairways.
    to go back to the question of fitting or lessons...make sure your lessons have gotten you to be good enough to the point the fitting will work for you. There is no point being fitted if you have a terrible swing/mechanics

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I agree 100% with Mike - for the typical Sunday hacker learning to save strokes around the green is far easier and realistic than grooving the perfect swing.
    Getting up and down most of the time is wonderful, and when it happens, an average round can be made into a good one. But this is very unusual.

There is no doubt that a strong short game and putting will help you score well, as you indicated, BUT, improving your long game may help a lot more than you think. An AVERAGE up and down percentage of 50% would be considered very good for most of us here, but realistically, it is probably a lot less than that for many. Less than ideal ball striking causes more missed greens/fairways/penalty strokes and thus higher scores, than may be saved with the short game.

Improve the quality of your misses and your handicap factor will tumble. Next time we play (April 15 here in Ottawa??) determine:
    (1) How many strokes were saved through the short game?
    (2) How many were lost via poor ball striking?

100% agree with BCMist.

When I was hovering around a 12/13 index my biggest problem was losing strokes to penalties off the tee. A concerted effort to fix that got me to the 6-7 range I'm at right now.

Where I'm losing strokes right now is missing way too many greens. Hopefully this year I will fix that.

Thread Information