100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    I find that most of them are a couple of years out of date, and don't allow for the fact that the main highway through NB is now mostly 4 lane with a 110 KPH speed limit.

######################

HAH, the Trans-Can thru NB is more like the Autobahn in Germany. If you're not doing at least 130 you'll get honked at get over. I couldn't believe how fast the cops went by us (& I was doing 135)

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Hmmm! Your directions pass through the USA. Mapquest goes around the States and adds 2h-driving distance. Interesting!!

jbrace, do you stay in Canada or go through the USA when you go back home?
    We stayed in Canada the whole way. I did not want to chance an unexpected hold-up at the border (in and out). As for places to stay. Anywhere in the Cavendish area is ideal if you have kids and/or non-golfers with you. That's the heart of Tourist country. Its on the north coast right in the middle. It's very centralized to the whole island, convenient to many golf courses and kid's attractions. Crowbush is less than an hour from the Cavendish area. Here's a good link to refer to.

http://www.golfpei.ca/index.php

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Of course the whole Province is only 135 miles from one tip to the other! It's probably only about 30 miles going across the middle?

Don't worry about being to far from anywhere

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar

Perhaps a stupid question..........

I am setting up my summer excursion to PEI and have checked out alot of golf courses both on the way and in PEI.......here is the stupid question........Why would anyone go south (US) to play golf in the summer.....I have a coworker that won't shut up about playing in South Carolina this summer..........Canada has some fantastic courses, obviously the best people and our dollar is taken at par within Canada. What more could you ask for.

PS...Our beer has some alcohol in it

2 Iron Gulfer is on a distinguished road Gulfer's Avatar
    In regard to where to stay that suits the golfer and also families, the 2 best options are:

1. Stay in Charlottetown or on the Brackley Point Road, which will keep you 15 minutes to Brackley Beach area (great for family), 1/2 hour drive to Cavendish (great again for family), and also 20 mins - 1/2 hour drive to Crowbush Cove, and about 45 minutes to Dundarave/Brudenell. Plus, you're in or near Charlottetown to use restaurants, etc.
    2. Stay in Cavendish. You have all the tourism things there, and it's about 1 hour 15 to Dundarave, an hour to Crowbush, and 1/2 hour to Charlottetown.

If it were me, I'd stay Brackley Point Road area and you're going to be easy driving to everything.

8 Iron stanley is on a distinguished road
    My folks are from PEI and I spent my summers there growing up. I go back "home" every year.

My cousins are members at Brudenell. (700 or so for a membership...unreal) So when I play there, I can usually get the island rate.

If you're from "away" they charge you more...

Lots of courses, Robert's about right with the count.

"........Why would anyone go south (US) to play golf in the summer....."

I don't know. The last few years you had to be lucky with the weather. But for great golf??...hey, it's worth the gamble.

I always go through Quebec and NB to get there, 13 hours to the bridge from Ottawa, especially now that most of NB is double lanes.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stanley
    "........Why would anyone go south (US) to play golf in the summer....."
    I think there's a conception that if you change countries, you're living something exotic. True that maybe PEI has as nice or even nicer courses, better beer, nice people, but I'm sure S. Carolina has some pretty spectacular golf as well, and I know from experience that it's a very nice state to visit.

Definitely peaked on this whole PEI idea though....

Any stops along the way you guys would recommend, both for golf and tourism?

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Dan.....I agree with you on one point (tell anyone and I will deny it!) that there are beautiful courses in S. Carolina as well as other states.........the point I was trying to make was that our season is very short comparitively....we should support Canadian courses..........I am a big believer in keeping Canadian money in Canada....boost our economy first.........the part about the beer?.....that doesn't just apply to PEI but to all of Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I think there's a conception that if you change countries, you're living something exotic. True that maybe PEI has as nice or even nicer courses, better beer, nice people, but I'm sure S. Carolina has some pretty spectacular golf as well, and I know from experience that it's a very nice state to visit.

Definitely peaked on this whole PEI idea though....

Any stops along the way you guys would recommend, both for golf and tourism?

Dan

Thread Information