100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar

Accelerating through impact

Hello

I recently had a couple of rounds at golf-o-max and found (through my buddy's observations) that I have a tendancy to decelerate a little through impact. I think I am too conscious of not trying to kill the ball.

Do any of you have any usedul drills that will help me to accelerate through the ball.

I know that hitting from the top is disasterous so whereabouts in the down swing do you start to add power? And how do you add power smoothly without ending up with a jerky swing?

Suggestions?

Hank

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    Hello

I recently had a couple of rounds at golf-o-max and found (through my buddy's observations) that I have a tendancy to decelerate a little through impact. I think I am too conscious of not trying to kill the ball.

Do any of you have any usedul drills that will help me to accelerate through the ball.

I know that hitting from the top is disasterous so whereabouts in the down swing do you start to add power? And how do you add power smoothly without ending up with a jerky swing?

Suggestions?

Hank
    An article by Mark O'Meara in a golf magazine a few years ago, suggested that you start the down swing slowly and when the hands are down opposite the back or trail shoulder, you start accelerating towards impact. It is easy to understand what this prevents.

My wife had a lesson from David O'Hearn, an excellent local player and teacher, years ago and he suggested to her that she move her arms down from the top 1/2", and then start accelerating. It worked.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Same here! I hade a different but similar problem. When I get to quick with my downswing I try to practice tempo. Very slow back swing, start the downswing with my left hip and only accelerate when my left arm reaches 9 o'clock. I try to feel that my max speed is reached about 6 inches past the ball.

Great drill.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

the "whooosh" drill

The "whooosh" drill (I'm sure there's a more technical term) might be useful for this.

Simply grip the club upside down (i.e., at the clubhead end) or use an old shaft, and take practice swings trying to make the "whooosh" sound occur at or just past the point that impact would occur.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    The "whooosh" drill (I'm sure there's a more technical term) might be useful for this.

Simply grip the club upside down (i.e., at the clubhead end) or use an old shaft, and take practice swings trying to make the "whooosh" sound occur at or just past the point that impact would occur.
    Thanks for the help fellas. I like the sound of 'the wooosh drill'. Haha

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

Adding Power and consistency!

If you want to learn about all these, and have time to practice, I recommend reading (and practicing) Ben Hogan's book "Five Lessons The Modern Fundamentals of Golf". Mike Weir credits the book for his "best" golf tips he ever reveives. It will asnwer all your questions. And make sure you read it 3-4 times and practice it evern more. It's not a long book. I read it and practice it in my living room and I can't wait to try it out on the course.
    As a summary for how to accelerate through impact for more power, Mr.Hogan said that the swing is a chain action. The downswing starts from your left hip (RH player), shoulders, arms, hands and club, in that order. You will decelerate if you start your downswing from the wrong order, ie. the hands and the arms. If you do that you will lose most of your power before impact. There are more to learn before the downswing that's why i recommend investing time and money buying the book. It's by far the best golf books I ever read, and beleive me I read a lot of them.

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Panikorn
    If you want to learn about all these, and have time to practice, I recommend reading (and practicing) Ben Hogan's book "Five Lessons The Modern Fundamentals of Golf". Mike Weir credits the book for his "best" golf tips he ever reveives. It will asnwer all your questions. And make sure you read it 3-4 times and practice it evern more. It's not a long book. I read it and practice it in my living room and I can't wait to try it out on the course.
    As a summary for how to accelerate through impact for more power, Mr.Hogan said that the swing is a chain action. The downswing starts from your left hip (RH player), shoulders, arms, hands and club, in that order. You will decelerate if you start your downswing from the wrong order, ie. the hands and the arms. If you do that you will lose most of your power before impact. There are more to learn before the downswing that's why i recommend investing time and money buying the book. It's by far the best golf books I ever read, and beleive me I read a lot of them.

Thom
    It's a great book!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    It's a great book!
    Got any video versions for those of us who can't/don't read?

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Got any video versions for those of us who can't/don't read?

Dan
    I think Jim McLean made a video from that book.

Andru
    It is a good book it's well written. Some of his instruction was a little off for me. He was a lefty playing right.

His thoughts and feelings about the grip will feel different. I've tried using his theories as a right hander playing left and the grip felt exactly as he explained. As a rigth hander playing right. It didn't work well. That was when I was in my mechanical mode of learning. Now it's just a good read during the winter when I can't play golf.

Steve Elkington's book is also pretty nice. I like his set up and grip chapters. Here's a paraphrased quote from the book.

"Amateurs who don't aim at anything, will hit it everytime"

5 Iron themob is on a distinguished road

Thom
    Should you move your hips once you reach the top of the swing? I find this often leaves me blockign shots because my hips finish too early. I usualy try to hold onto the hips until i'm 3/4 down the downswing(i guess the 10 o'clock position).

As an aside, after hitting the ball, should you release your wrists or just have them parallel with your left arm and then gradually release with the completion of the backswing?

5 Wood Thom Panikorn is on a distinguished road

Left Hip Leads the way.

Quote Originally Posted by themob
    Should you move your hips once you reach the top of the swing? I find this often leaves me blockign shots because my hips finish too early. I usualy try to hold onto the hips until i'm 3/4 down the downswing(i guess the 10 o'clock position).

As an aside, after hitting the ball, should you release your wrists or just have them parallel with your left arm and then gradually release with the completion of the backswing?
    The left hip leads your downswing(Hip, Shoulders, Arms, Hands and then Club). Hogan said some pro took the short cut by moving the LH just before the back swing reaches the top. Fred Couple does that too. He will bump the left hip just when the club reaches the top.
    If you block the shot it can be a lot of things. If your left hip is out of the way then it's something else, most likely you are rushing from the top with your hands. You break the order of the chain action. The concept of "swing plane" from the book would help you fix the problem. I now realize that's my problem, I am trying very hard to keep my swing on plane without "breaking the glass pane". I will block it(weak slice) every time if i "break the glass".
    One thing I like about the book is that I can analyze my shot and try to fix it on my own. And I enjoy that more than taking lesson.
    As for releasing, let nature take care of it. Meaning if your downswing is good, your impact is good you should release the wrist naturally. Don't try to manupilate the release...just let it go. Look at VJ, Anika, Palmer...they just let the wrists go wherever the force takes them. One thing though, Hogan said one of your arms has to be straight at all time...backswing...left arm straight, at impact left arm(ONLY left) straight. The only time both arms are straight is about a foot after impact, after that the left arm starts to fold and the right is staight until finish.

Thom

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    The left hip leads your downswing(Hip, Shoulders, Arms, Hands and then Club). Hogan said some pro took the short cut by moving the LH just before the back swing reaches the top. Fred Couple does that too. He will bump the left hip just when the club reaches the top.
    If you block the shot it can be a lot of things. If your left hip is out of the way then it's something else, most likely you are rushing from the top with your hands. You break the order of the chain action. The concept of "swing plane" from the book would help you fix the problem. I now realize that's my problem, I am trying very hard to keep my swing on plane without "breaking the glass pane". I will block it(weak slice) every time if i "break the glass".
    One thing I like about the book is that I can analyze my shot and try to fix it on my own. And I enjoy that more than taking lesson.
    As for releasing, let nature take care of it. Meaning if your downswing is good, your impact is good you should release the wrist naturally. Don't try to manupilate the release...just let it go. Look at VJ, Anika, Palmer...they just let the wrists go wherever the force takes them. One thing though, Hogan said one of your arms has to be straight at all time...backswing...left arm straight, at impact left arm(ONLY left) straight. The only time both arms are straight is about a foot after impact, after that the left arm starts to fold and the right is staight until finish.

Thom
    Hey Thom? Can I borrow that book?

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre

Yes the "swooshing" sound is a good way to hear when and where your club is producing the most speed, and obviously you want to hear that sound when your about to make contact with the ball. A good tool to use, as well as flipping your club upside down and swinging with the shaft, is to use a broom, one of those old brooms with I guess it's hay. I practiced this drill for a while and made sure I heard the "swooshing" sound right at impact, but by using the broom, it's a little heavier and it's a good tool to use for controlling your tempo.

Thread Information