+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Senators

Ty Webb

Senators

I am a Sens fan but, let's face it, they stink right now. What in your opinion is wrong with them.

I think Lalime's confidence (along with his teammates) is gone. Put Prusek in.

Ty

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Put Prusek in.
    You (and everyone else ) have hit the nail on the head. Or maybe that's what they should with Lalime.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    You (and everyone else ) have hit the nail on the head. Or maybe that's what they should with Lalime.
    I cover the Senators for an online media outlet, and I think that people are missing the point of what's happening.

1 - Lalime has had a poor season to date, there's no doubt about that. But, as with all good goalies heading into a playoff run, he needs to get this out of his system. The danger is that it's not quite as simple as flicking a switch, and he may not be able to recover in time for the first round of the playoffs. If he can get on a roll over the last few games, he'll be just fine. Otherwise, Ottawa's record vs. Toronto will drop to 0-4 in playoffs.

2 - Lalime is only one player. A lot of the goals he's letting in are the result of poor defensive zone clearing. How often does a Sens' player opt to try a cross-ice pass instead of making the safe play off the boards and out? It seems to me like one of the worst players on the team in terms of this is Wade Redden.

3 - Stay in the net Patty!!! Lalime wants to be the number one goalie. Jacques Martin wants Lalime to be the number one goalie. In order to achieve the desires of both people, Lalime has to stop trying to play the puck. He's no good at it, and often creates tough situations for himself and his defence in the process of trying. If you want to be in net, stay there!

4 - Melnyk, the Leafs fan. This is an intriguing scenario that I think (personally) may be happening. Ottawa seems to be matching Toronto's pace in terms of the standings. Whenever they get too far ahead, they lose a couple of stinkers. Whenever they fall too far behind, they reel off a couple of decisive wins. I would be willing to bet that Ottawa WANTS to play Toronto in the first round. They need to get the monkey off their backs, and maybe they don't see Toronto beating anyone in the first round....

5 - Timing of team peaking. Ottawa's main problem each season seems to be that they run out of gas in the playoffs. Sometimes it happens early, sometimes (like last season) a little later. But, Ottawa tends to finish strong in the regular season. This time around, it is obvious that they aren't playing as hard as they can. Maybe they're not concerned with the regular season standings. Maybe they are saving up energy for the playoffs. I certainly hope I'm right about this....

Anyways, I could go on and on....

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Some pretty interesting viewpoints there Broken. I tend to agree with you about Redden, he always seems to go for the fancy low percentage pass. But now the usually solid Phillips is guilty of a few blunders. Lalime is scrambling at the moment, trying to force things a little. Last night he kept them in it by shotstopping but ultimately lost it through bad judgement. I hope (as you suggest) they are saving it for the playoffs, but I worry that that kind of attitude is destructive and can only lead to disaster.

I know they have to get the Maple Laughs thing off their back but I start to sweat when I think about that matchup. Maybe the Sens will get Philly again or Tampa?!?

Anyway, another big game on Thursday, I hope they are up for it because there is nothing worse than watching the Sens when they don't turn up, its soooo boring!

GO SENS GO!

Ty Webb
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I cover the Senators for an online media outlet, and I think that people are missing the point of what's happening.

1 - Lalime has had a poor season to date, there's no doubt about that. But, as with all good goalies heading into a playoff run, he needs to get this out of his system. The danger is that it's not quite as simple as flicking a switch, and he may not be able to recover in time for the first round of the playoffs. If he can get on a roll over the last few games, he'll be just fine. Otherwise, Ottawa's record vs. Toronto will drop to 0-4 in playoffs.

2 - Lalime is only one player. A lot of the goals he's letting in are the result of poor defensive zone clearing. How often does a Sens' player opt to try a cross-ice pass instead of making the safe play off the boards and out? It seems to me like one of the worst players on the team in terms of this is Wade Redden.

3 - Stay in the net Patty!!! Lalime wants to be the number one goalie. Jacques Martin wants Lalime to be the number one goalie. In order to achieve the desires of both people, Lalime has to stop trying to play the puck. He's no good at it, and often creates tough situations for himself and his defence in the process of trying. If you want to be in net, stay there!

4 - Melnyk, the Leafs fan. This is an intriguing scenario that I think (personally) may be happening. Ottawa seems to be matching Toronto's pace in terms of the standings. Whenever they get too far ahead, they lose a couple of stinkers. Whenever they fall too far behind, they reel off a couple of decisive wins. I would be willing to bet that Ottawa WANTS to play Toronto in the first round. They need to get the monkey off their backs, and maybe they don't see Toronto beating anyone in the first round....

5 - Timing of team peaking. Ottawa's main problem each season seems to be that they run out of gas in the playoffs. Sometimes it happens early, sometimes (like last season) a little later. But, Ottawa tends to finish strong in the regular season. This time around, it is obvious that they aren't playing as hard as they can. Maybe they're not concerned with the regular season standings. Maybe they are saving up energy for the playoffs. I certainly hope I'm right about this....

Anyways, I could go on and on....

Dan
    I, personally, think Redden is overrated. He is a good passer and skater but gambles, doesn't hit and I have yet to see him win a fight. I would take Chara anyday.

I totally disagree with them wanting to play the leafs in the first round. Home ice is very important in the playoffs. I do agree that it isn't only Lalime's fault. Not alot of intensity on the team.

Ty

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    The way it looks right now, it will probably be Sens and Leafs in the first round !! I don't think either one is playing very well at this particular point in time. But I have to say it, LEAFS IN SIX !!!!

GO LEAFS GO !!!!

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    The Sens just simply have to be better all around. Lalime just isn't getting it done, and as stated, the defencemen are taking too many risks. First of all, you NEED hot goaltending to go far in the playoffs. Prusek has a 14-5 record with 3 shutouts. I say give him a chance to play now so that WHEN Lalime gets pulled in the playoffs he'll be there in solid form. They also need to tighten up in their own end- especially in the third period. How many leads have they blown this year?

Here's hoping that we crush the Leafs in round one!!

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty Webb
    I am a Sens fan but, let's face it, they stink right now. What in your opinion is wrong with them.

I think Lalime's confidence (along with his teammates) is gone. Put Prusek in.

Ty
    I agree %100 - however as you mentioned, it isn't all Lalime's fault. The team seems to be much more relaxed, and play better when Prusek is in the net.
    I think they should stick with Lalime for now but as soon as playoffs start, if he looks shakey, I wouldn't hesitate to yank him.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    The way it looks right now, it will probably be Sens and Leafs in the first round !! I don't think either one is playing very well at this particular point in time. But I have to say it, LEAFS IN SIX !!!!

GO LEAFS GO !!!!
    Senators :gfiring Leafs

LEAFS SUCK!!!

Dan

Ty Webb
    Senators :gfiring Leafs

LEAFS SUCK!!!

Dan
    How does one know it is truely sping?

The Leafs are out.

Nuff said

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    Alfredson is a good golfer for a reason... He always gets his full golf season in every year...

LET'S GO FLYERS.....

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The sens are never gonna win a cup until they realize that wade redden has no idea how to play simple defensive hockey. He is definitely not a first string d-man. Agreed, they do need some improvement in the goaltending area, but in all fairness, it wasn't the goaltending that killed them in the playoffs last year - it was Redden and Rachunek on a last minute 2 on 2 (at least they've gotten rid of half of the duo). Overall, the sens still haven't demonstrated enough grit in the playoffs. Last year they lucked out in facing the Isles, and then a terrible goalie in Chechmanek, and faltered when faced with a real challenge. The Sens are too european (go Grapes) and simply don't play the style of hockey that works in the playoffs. Not to mention, no team has ever won the stanley cup with a european captain: My not so humble opinion

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    From my perspective it would appear that the Sens need a serious injection in self-confidence. Winners know in their heart of hearts that they are worthy of victory and that they are capable, one way or another, of securing it. That trait is characteristic of all good teams past and present. Examples abound - Brooklyn Dodgers (of many years ago), Boston Celtics (of old), New York Yankees (of almost any year), Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Russian Red Army hockey team. Would that I had a prescription for imbuing that kind of iness into the Senators, but I don't. If I had that insight I would already have shared it with my perenial heart break team, the Boston Red Sox. Senator fans should consider themselves lucky. Their frustration is of relatively recent vintage. By contrast, the Red Sox are working on what seems like a century of angst. Surely there must be a psychiatrist or psychologist in the house who can, for the good of the community, work on their collective psyche! I sure we would all chip in to cover the fee.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Most of us hope that the Sens turn things around, however, it is unlikely because:

(1) good goaltending is essential(Ottawa is 17 games above .500, Lalime is 1.)

(2) the refereeing is atrocious at best during the regular season, and during the playoffs the refs leave their whistles in their lockers. This means that more skillful teams like Ottawa, get out punched, hooked and held by a less skillful team like Toronto.

(3) teams with more "heart," sadly, like Toronto, raise their game a notch in the playoffs.

Interesting comment on Team 1200 this morning. "It was ironic to see Lalime heading to the bench with two minutes to go in the game last night. He was 58 minutes too late.

If they were to play and beat Toronto in Round 1, it would give them a tremendous boost in confidence, however, with the way they are playing now, they could easily finish 7th. That means Philadelphia?

It's past time for them to show us their mettle.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 03-25-2004 at 08:14 AM.

Dan: I am amused to find that my earlier e-mail was censored for using a proper English word which I will spell out here for fear of being screened out again. Here it is: c...o...c....k.....iness. Would that my spam filter worked so well as your protector of public decency.

By the way, here is an article I came across just now contrasting c..o...c...k..iness and arrogance under the following sub-title: "A goaltender's attitude is as important as any save made." The article is accessible here: http://www.mv.com/ipusers/mask/Quistgard/fqarrog.htm

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    ... it wasn't the goaltending that killed them in the playoffs last year - it was Redden and Rachunek on a last minute 2 on 2 (at least they've gotten rid of half of the duo).
    Actually the fault on the final goal last year was definitely not Redden's. Rachunek gambled and lost at the blueline and then Havlat gave up on the backcheck. If Havlat does not quit, there is no scoring opportunity.

As for this year, Lalime does not have it. He actually played OK in the Boston game yesterday but as someone else said above - DON't HANDLE THE PUCK. Most goaltenders are poor puckhandlers and Lalime is worse than average (Prusek is even worse). 2 of the 4 goals on Tuesday were Lalime's fault for mishandling the puck.

I also agree the defence is not playing well - taking the wrong player on a 2 on 1 (you learn in PeeWee to let the goaltender play the shooter and the D plays the plyer without the puck); not clearing the opposition from the front of the net; gambling and losing at the offensive blueline and missing the puck and the opposition player.

Time to go on a retreat and reset their attitudes and realize they will play 4 games and out at this pace in the playoffs.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    jonf,

Well said, they don't play the style of hockey to be successful in the playoffs. As a Leafs fan, I hope they play each other in the first round. The Leafs will win that round for sure, if there are any that would like to wager any different, please let me know!!!
    Last edited by Michael; 03-25-2004 at 07:36 AM.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Dan: I am amused to find that my earlier e-mail was censored for using a proper English word
    This is automatically filtered by the forum software. Certain combinations of letters will be *'d out

IE a mis-hit is mi

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    There are a lot of people who are saying that Lalime isn't the reason that they are doing badly, but is only a small part of it.

Unlike most starting NHL goaltenders, Lalime rarely makes the big saves at the right times, and even if he does, he usually lets in a soft one to make up for it. Goalies like Martin Brodeur and Jose Theodore are All-Stars for a reason, they have the ability to keep their team in the game. As far as I can see, Lalime doesn't have that ability anymore. Everytime the puck is in the Sens end near the net I cringe because I can just picture the goal being scored.

Redden is a grossly over-rated defensemen. He makes at least two mistakes per game, and they are often very costly. Rachunek was probably the worst, but Redden is not far behind. If he wants to be a goal scorer then he should be a forward, but he isn't. He's a defensemen, so leave the scoring to the rest of our HIGH powered offense and just concentrate on keeping the puck out of our end.

The Sens are too european (go Grapes) and simply don't play the style of hockey that works in the playoffs.
    Clearly the words of someone who knows nothing about hockey. Europeans are the only reason to watch hockey nowadays.

Let's see how a Leafs' fan justifies their claim of being "better suited for the playoffs" than the Senators:

Leafs have 37 years of futility (soon to be 38)
    Senators had a team for 11 years, of which you can clearly discout about 4 for expansion-itis.

Gee, if only they handed out a prize for beating Ottawa, Toronto wouldn't look like the bag of crap team they really are in the playoffs....

Dan

Clearly the words of someone who knows nothing about hockey. Europeans are the only reason to watch hockey nowadays.
    Well, the thing is, Europeans, with a few exceptions like essa tikkanen and peter forsberg, although better offensive producers, simply do not perform well in the playoffs. You would have a hard time naming a european dominated team that has excelled in the playoffs. They shy away from physical contact, and do not play with the intesity necessary to last during the grueling playoffs. The excel in the season, and cower in the playoffs. Europeans are now a necessary part of a team, but the senators are simply dominated by europeans, as well as lacking a true power forward. And saying that europeans are the only reason to watch hockey is the obviously the view of someone who does not appreciate the physicallity that has been a part of the game since its beginning. Hitting, fighting, and brawls have always been, and should always be a part of the game.
    By the way, i am a sens fan, but am not going to kid myself by saying that they can or will win the cup with the team they have now

Well, the thing is, *1*Europeans, with a few exceptions like essa tikkanen and peter forsberg, although better offensive producers, simply do not perform well in the playoffs. *2*And saying that europeans are the only reason to watch hockey is the obviously the view of someone who does not appreciate the physicallity that has been a part of the game since its beginning. Hitting, fighting, and brawls have always been, and should always be a part of the game.By the way, i am a sens fan, but am not going to kid myself by saying that they can or will win the cup with the team they have now
    I'll address your comments one at a time, based on the numbering of the points above:

1 - Europeans do just as well if not better overall in point-production than North Americans in the playoffs. I fail to see how Esa Tikkanen got into this, but you're entitled to your opinion, as am I. Ottawa's best players in the playoffs have always been Europeans (although of course that is largely attributable to the sheer number of Euros).

I study hockey, and understand how the "Conn Smyth" balloting works. You could have 10 European guys who perform better in the playoffs, and they'd still not get the award because hockey writers vote for the award. Where are all the hockey writers from? Mainly Canada and the USA.

Nuff sed.

2 - Violence has not always been a part of hockey. Certainly there is a physical component involved in the game, but the best players in today's game in that respect are Bobby Holik and Dariusz Kasparaitis. They've been solid in every playoffs they've been involved in. Ottawa? How about Vaclav Varada? How about Chara? How about Volchenkov? No lack of toughness in our European content. Chara had a separated shoulder in last season's playoffs, which justifiably explains his sub-par physical play...

I would be surprised if anyone on this forum spends more hours per day studying hockey than I do, but if you'd care to correct me on anything I've said, let me know.

Dan

I'll address your comments one at a time, based on the numbering of the points above:

1 - Europeans do just as well if not better overall in point-production than North Americans in the playoffs.

Nuff sed.

2 - Violence has not always been a part of hockey. Certainly there is a physical component involved in the game, but the best players in today's game in that respect are Bobby Holik and Dariusz Kasparaitis.

Dan
    1 - Point production is not the only important factor in measuring success. North American players, on top of producing offensively, excel in terms of plus/minus, and have the ability to intimidate and grind it out in the most physical of series. Stevey-Y's playoff was one of the most courageous, important, and gritty performances in a long time. Players like claude lemieux, who downright suck during the season, are able to step their game up during the playoffs, while most europeans tend to lose their edge

2 - Wow, all i can say is that this point of view is very ignorant.
    1933 - eddie shore attacks ace bailey from behind bpulling him to the ice, fracturing his skull
    1955 - Maurice richard delivers a vicious two hander to the head of Hal Laycoe, and then punches linesman Cliff Thompson in the head
    1969 - Wayne maki and Ted Green get into a vicious stick swinging incident, maki eventually giving green a fractured skull, which required multiple surgeries and a steel plate to correct
    1972 - Bobby Clarke delivers a vicious slash to the leg of Russia's star player (can't think of the name right now) He wasn't the same for the rest of the Summitt Series.
    Don't tell me that violence is not a part of the game.

Bobby Holik and Darius Kasparitus are definitely not the top physical players in the game. I will not argue that further, as it is a waste of my time. Players like Scott Stevens and Steve Yzerman are the pinaccle of playoff performance. Neither shies away from contact, even with severe injuries, and both provide tremendous support both on and off the ice.

anyways, thats what i have to say

1 - Point production is not the only important factor in measuring success. North American players, on top of producing offensively, excel in terms of plus/minus, and have the ability to intimidate and grind it out in the most physical of series. Stevey-Y's playoff was one of the most courageous, important, and gritty performances in a long time. Players like claude lemieux, who downright suck during the season, are able to step their game up during the playoffs, while most europeans tend to lose their edge

2 - Wow, all i can say is that this point of view is very ignorant.
    1933 - eddie shore attacks ace bailey from behind bpulling him to the ice, fracturing his skull
    1955 - Maurice richard delivers a vicious two hander to the head of Hal Laycoe, and then punches linesman Cliff Thompson in the head
    1969 - Wayne maki and Ted Green get into a vicious stick swinging incident, maki eventually giving green a fractured skull, which required multiple surgeries and a steel plate to correct
    1972 - Bobby Clarke delivers a vicious slash to the leg of Russia's star player (can't think of the name right now) He wasn't the same for the rest of the Summitt Series.
    Don't tell me that violence is not a part of the game.

Bobby Holik and Darius Kasparitus are definitely not the top physical players in the game. I will not argue that further, as it is a waste of my time. Players like Scott Stevens and Steve Yzerman are the pinaccle of playoff performance. Neither shies away from contact, even with severe injuries, and both provide tremendous support both on and off the ice.

anyways, thats what i have to say
    Won't bother addressing your first point, since it has not much to do with anything realistic or even remotely rooted in reality. Stats can be generated to prove/disprove anything you want to convey, so let's not look too closely at that. Seeing as how your own point revolved around not measuring success on point production (which in my books is the most important part of the game since you can't win 0-0).

As for point two, I never said violence hasn't PLAGUED the game for years. It's a stupid, trifling part of the game. Of course the new generation of Canadian and American players excel at it. In Europe, they don't teach sucker-punching a guy then breaking his neck. Sorry, guess we're just not as good as a nation that has won a single gold medal in 50 years with a population double that of ours (CZR). Oh well, life's a *.

I'm very surprised that you're not a Leafs fan. Sounds like you appreciate the crap that they put on the ice each game, and that you applaud losers like Todd Bertuzzi for their macho-istic cowardly behaviour. Good for you, feel proud that fans like yourself are what is pushing the NHL to ruin. Soon you'll have nothing to watch BUT good, clean, skilled European hockey. A much better game to begin with.

Cheers,
    Dan

Won't bother addressing your first point, since it has not much to do with anything realistic or even remotely rooted in reality. Stats can be generated to prove/disprove anything you want to convey, so let's not look too closely at that. Seeing as how your own point revolved around not measuring success on point production (which in my books is the most important part of the game since you can't win 0-0).

As for point two, I never said violence hasn't PLAGUED the game for years. It's a stupid, trifling part of the game. Of course the new generation of Canadian and American players excel at it. In Europe, they don't teach sucker-punching a guy then breaking his neck. Sorry, guess we're just not as good as a nation that has won a single gold medal in 50 years with a population double that of ours (CZR). Oh well, life's a *.

I'm very surprised that you're not a Leafs fan. Sounds like you appreciate the crap that they put on the ice each game, and that you applaud losers like Todd Bertuzzi for their macho-istic cowardly behaviour. Good for you, feel proud that fans like yourself are what is pushing the NHL to ruin. Soon you'll have nothing to watch BUT good, clean, skilled European hockey. A much better game to begin with.

Cheers,
    Dan
    First of all, i will agree that its not worth arguing about stats and so on, but i will point out that you do have to be able to prevent the other team from scoring as well as being able to score.
    Canada has won 1 gold medal - because until recently, all our professional players were not allowed to participate. This means that other countries were going up against second rate canadian players. I'm offended that you suggest sucker punching to be something we teach here in Canada. We teach how to make a proper body check (something i'm certain they don't do in Europe, they probably just teach how to duck out of the way), and we teach players that Bertuzzi-like behaviour is unacceptable. However, we can't turn around and condemn the game because of a few incidents. No one used to mind, but the media has to hype it up as if hockey players are a burden on society, and that one act of violence will send an entire generation into a frenzy of violence. THis is crap.
    Pushing the NHL to ruin? That's crap - absolute crap. i'd rather see a few fights than a bunch of ballet. If you don't like contact, go watch some figure skating.

... We teach how to make a proper body check (something i'm certain they don't do in Europe, they probably just teach how to duck out of the way), ...

Pushing the NHL to ruin? That's crap - absolute crap. i'd rather see a few fights than a bunch of ballet. If you don't like contact, go watch some figure skating.
    I really attempted to stay out of this thread but I couldn't. Hopefully, the derogatory remark about Europeans was a bit of an exageration intended to make a point. If not then the comment does appear to be xenophobic. As for the desire to see a few fights rather than ballet, I would suggest that this attitude lies at the heart of what is wrong with hockey today. The beauty, speed, grace and, yes, hard hitting (note, I did not say fighting) is losing out to world wide wrestling on ice. An example of the kind of real hockey that I'm talking about occured on New Years Eve in 1975 between the Montreal Canadiens and the Russian Red Army team. Anyone who saw it, will not forget it notwithstanding the fact that it ended in a 3-3 tie. Fighting was not the predominant theme of that evening. Lest I be accused of knowing nothing about hockey and its true nature, I take comfort in the fact that much the same point has recently been made by Ken Dryden and that Hall of Famer does know quite a bit about the game.
    Last edited by mpare; 03-25-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    I really attempted to stay out of this thread but I couldn't. Hopefully, the derogatory remark about Europeans was a bit of an exageration intended to make a point. If not then the comment does appear to be xenophobic. As for the desire to see a few fights rather than ballet, I would suggest that this attitude lies at the heart of what is wrong with hockey today. The beauty, speed, grace and, yes, hard hitting (note, I did not say fighting) is losing out to world wide wrestling on ice. An example of the kind of real hockey that I'm talking about occured on New Years Eve in 1975 between the Montreal Canadiens and the Russian Red Army team. Anyone who saw it, will not forget it notwithstanding the fact that it ended in a 3-3 tie. Fighting was not the predominant theme of that evening. Lest I be accused of knowing nothing about hockey and its true nature, I take comfort in the fact that much the same point has recently been made by Ken Dryden and that Hall of Famer does know quite a bit about the game.
    Maybe i'm guilty of not making this clear. I am not trying to say that fighting should be a predominant force in the game, but i certainly believe that it does have its place. A good fight can be exhilerating to watch, and can definitely change the course of the game. One of the most exciting playoff series in recent years was undoubtedly the Colorado-Detroit series from a few years back (i believe it was 97). This was also one of the roughest series, at least once breaking out into a brawl where Chris Osgood and Patrick Roy met mid-air at centre ice. Violent, yes. Entertaining, yes. Thrilling, yes. Not to mention, some damn good hockey.

Also, I don't think European's are bad hockey players, but i definitely stand by my point that their style is one not suited particularly well to playoff hockey.

... Also, I don't think European's are bad hockey players, but i definitely stand by my point that their style is one not suited particularly well to playoff hockey.
    You are probably right about a wide open, fast paced style of hockey not being suited to playoff hockey. The reason for this rests with the referees. Having swallowed their whistles for the playoffs, the refs then allow more hooking, clutching, and grabbing than one would normally see during the regular season. As a result, the pace of play is reduced to the lowest common denominator and we get a slow, plodding and bruttish type of game the outcome of which favours those who can do the most physical damage. For me, and I am probably in the minority here, that is a shame.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road

Sens win

Was at the Sens-Canadiens game this evening...

Nice to see Lalime come up with 8 or 9 awesome saves. Nice to see that the line-juggling worked, at least for Alfredsson-Smolinski-Bondra...

I just read the bickering going on in the above posts, and it occurred to me what's wrong with the Senators - the fans. So many fans have no heart, and the ones who do (like me) keep quiet while the people who hop on and off the bandwagon day by day are the loudest. It's definitely frustrating to listen to The Team 1200 every day, but I do because I'm a huge fan.

Anyways, I think that Lalime has found something...if it's anything close to last year's playoff performance, then I'll be happy...and maybe the Sens can get back on track and start their playoff march - if it goes through Toronto, all the better !!!

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Maybe i'm guilty of not making this clear. I am not trying to say that fighting should be a predominant force in the game, but i certainly believe that it does have its place. A good fight can be exhilerating to watch, and can definitely change the course of the game. One of the most exciting playoff series in recent years was undoubtedly the Colorado-Detroit series from a few years back (i believe it was 97). This was also one of the roughest series, at least once breaking out into a brawl where Chris Osgood and Patrick Roy met mid-air at centre ice. Violent, yes. Entertaining, yes. Thrilling, yes. Not to mention, some damn good hockey.

Also, I don't think European's are bad hockey players, but i definitely stand by my point that their style is one not suited particularly well to playoff hockey.
    Actually, in 1996-1997 Detroit won with the infamous "V" line of Sergei Fedorov, Igor Larionov, Vyacheslav Kozlov, Vladimir Konstantinov, and Slava Fetisov.

Note that they ONLY lost 4 games throughout the playoffs that year..... Europeans anyone??

Thread Information