100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Senators

Hybrid View

Ty Webb

Senators

I am a Sens fan but, let's face it, they stink right now. What in your opinion is wrong with them.

I think Lalime's confidence (along with his teammates) is gone. Put Prusek in.

Ty

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Put Prusek in.
    You (and everyone else ) have hit the nail on the head. Or maybe that's what they should with Lalime.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    You (and everyone else ) have hit the nail on the head. Or maybe that's what they should with Lalime.
    I cover the Senators for an online media outlet, and I think that people are missing the point of what's happening.

1 - Lalime has had a poor season to date, there's no doubt about that. But, as with all good goalies heading into a playoff run, he needs to get this out of his system. The danger is that it's not quite as simple as flicking a switch, and he may not be able to recover in time for the first round of the playoffs. If he can get on a roll over the last few games, he'll be just fine. Otherwise, Ottawa's record vs. Toronto will drop to 0-4 in playoffs.

2 - Lalime is only one player. A lot of the goals he's letting in are the result of poor defensive zone clearing. How often does a Sens' player opt to try a cross-ice pass instead of making the safe play off the boards and out? It seems to me like one of the worst players on the team in terms of this is Wade Redden.

3 - Stay in the net Patty!!! Lalime wants to be the number one goalie. Jacques Martin wants Lalime to be the number one goalie. In order to achieve the desires of both people, Lalime has to stop trying to play the puck. He's no good at it, and often creates tough situations for himself and his defence in the process of trying. If you want to be in net, stay there!

4 - Melnyk, the Leafs fan. This is an intriguing scenario that I think (personally) may be happening. Ottawa seems to be matching Toronto's pace in terms of the standings. Whenever they get too far ahead, they lose a couple of stinkers. Whenever they fall too far behind, they reel off a couple of decisive wins. I would be willing to bet that Ottawa WANTS to play Toronto in the first round. They need to get the monkey off their backs, and maybe they don't see Toronto beating anyone in the first round....

5 - Timing of team peaking. Ottawa's main problem each season seems to be that they run out of gas in the playoffs. Sometimes it happens early, sometimes (like last season) a little later. But, Ottawa tends to finish strong in the regular season. This time around, it is obvious that they aren't playing as hard as they can. Maybe they're not concerned with the regular season standings. Maybe they are saving up energy for the playoffs. I certainly hope I'm right about this....

Anyways, I could go on and on....

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Some pretty interesting viewpoints there Broken. I tend to agree with you about Redden, he always seems to go for the fancy low percentage pass. But now the usually solid Phillips is guilty of a few blunders. Lalime is scrambling at the moment, trying to force things a little. Last night he kept them in it by shotstopping but ultimately lost it through bad judgement. I hope (as you suggest) they are saving it for the playoffs, but I worry that that kind of attitude is destructive and can only lead to disaster.

I know they have to get the Maple Laughs thing off their back but I start to sweat when I think about that matchup. Maybe the Sens will get Philly again or Tampa?!?

Anyway, another big game on Thursday, I hope they are up for it because there is nothing worse than watching the Sens when they don't turn up, its soooo boring!

GO SENS GO!

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    The Sens just simply have to be better all around. Lalime just isn't getting it done, and as stated, the defencemen are taking too many risks. First of all, you NEED hot goaltending to go far in the playoffs. Prusek has a 14-5 record with 3 shutouts. I say give him a chance to play now so that WHEN Lalime gets pulled in the playoffs he'll be there in solid form. They also need to tighten up in their own end- especially in the third period. How many leads have they blown this year?

Here's hoping that we crush the Leafs in round one!!

Ty Webb
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I cover the Senators for an online media outlet, and I think that people are missing the point of what's happening.

1 - Lalime has had a poor season to date, there's no doubt about that. But, as with all good goalies heading into a playoff run, he needs to get this out of his system. The danger is that it's not quite as simple as flicking a switch, and he may not be able to recover in time for the first round of the playoffs. If he can get on a roll over the last few games, he'll be just fine. Otherwise, Ottawa's record vs. Toronto will drop to 0-4 in playoffs.

2 - Lalime is only one player. A lot of the goals he's letting in are the result of poor defensive zone clearing. How often does a Sens' player opt to try a cross-ice pass instead of making the safe play off the boards and out? It seems to me like one of the worst players on the team in terms of this is Wade Redden.

3 - Stay in the net Patty!!! Lalime wants to be the number one goalie. Jacques Martin wants Lalime to be the number one goalie. In order to achieve the desires of both people, Lalime has to stop trying to play the puck. He's no good at it, and often creates tough situations for himself and his defence in the process of trying. If you want to be in net, stay there!

4 - Melnyk, the Leafs fan. This is an intriguing scenario that I think (personally) may be happening. Ottawa seems to be matching Toronto's pace in terms of the standings. Whenever they get too far ahead, they lose a couple of stinkers. Whenever they fall too far behind, they reel off a couple of decisive wins. I would be willing to bet that Ottawa WANTS to play Toronto in the first round. They need to get the monkey off their backs, and maybe they don't see Toronto beating anyone in the first round....

5 - Timing of team peaking. Ottawa's main problem each season seems to be that they run out of gas in the playoffs. Sometimes it happens early, sometimes (like last season) a little later. But, Ottawa tends to finish strong in the regular season. This time around, it is obvious that they aren't playing as hard as they can. Maybe they're not concerned with the regular season standings. Maybe they are saving up energy for the playoffs. I certainly hope I'm right about this....

Anyways, I could go on and on....

Dan
    I, personally, think Redden is overrated. He is a good passer and skater but gambles, doesn't hit and I have yet to see him win a fight. I would take Chara anyday.

I totally disagree with them wanting to play the leafs in the first round. Home ice is very important in the playoffs. I do agree that it isn't only Lalime's fault. Not alot of intensity on the team.

Ty

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    The way it looks right now, it will probably be Sens and Leafs in the first round !! I don't think either one is playing very well at this particular point in time. But I have to say it, LEAFS IN SIX !!!!

GO LEAFS GO !!!!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    The way it looks right now, it will probably be Sens and Leafs in the first round !! I don't think either one is playing very well at this particular point in time. But I have to say it, LEAFS IN SIX !!!!

GO LEAFS GO !!!!
    Senators :gfiring Leafs

LEAFS SUCK!!!

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty Webb
    I am a Sens fan but, let's face it, they stink right now. What in your opinion is wrong with them.

Ty
    I agree %100 - however as you mentioned, it isn't all Lalime's fault. The team seems to be much more relaxed, and play better when Prusek is in the net.
    I think they should stick with Lalime for now but as soon as playoffs start, if he looks shakey, I wouldn't hesitate to yank him.

Ty Webb

Ty
    After watching the Toronto game and the Tampa game, I am convinced that they should stick with Prusek.

Big_duck
    After watching the Toronto game and the Tampa game, I am convinced that they should stick with Prusek.

Dunno about that, comparing Lalime vs Montreal, against Prusiuk vs TO/Tampa, I saw nothing to indicate that the Tampa result would be any different.

Prusiuk made a couple of early puck handling gaffes against Tampa, and he was just lucky, they didn't end up in the net (both resulted in shots that missed the net), and he was out of position on one shot that went wide off of Phillips.

I would rate both Goalies about even, with Lalime having the Playoff experience and Prusiuk having the puck luck.

Thread Information