100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dgs300/ Dgs200

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar

Dgs300/ Dgs200

With the wealth of knowledge available on this forum could I please have a simple answer to this Question.
    I currently play a 52 dgr wedge with a DGS300 shaft will I notice a huge difference in "feel" adding to my bag a 56 dgr wedge using a DGS200 (same brand of club head) Feel free to expose my obvious ignorance.

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ
    Feel free to expose my obvious ignorance.
    There you go.

Caddy PowerFade is on a distinguished road PowerFade's Avatar
    All joking aside...

Not in a wedge and unlikely with longer irons. 200 is slightly lighter than 300, which, within a flex, should feel the same. You might get a bit more clubhead speed with the lighter shaft, but of course that's not what you're going for with a wedge, and would be hard to notice anyway.

Hope this helps.

With the wealth of knowledge available on this forum could I please have a simple answer to this Question.
    I currently play a 52 dgr wedge with a DGS300 shaft will I notice a huge difference in "feel" adding to my bag a 56 dgr wedge using a DGS200 (same brand of club head) Feel free to expose my obvious ignorance.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Agree with the above poster. The difference will be negligible. In fact the very slightly softer DGS200 might be nice in the SW. I doubt however anyone could really tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerFade
    All joking aside...

Not in a wedge and unlikely with longer irons. 200 is slightly lighter than 300, which, within a flex, should feel the same. You might get a bit more clubhead speed with the lighter shaft, but of course that's not what you're going for with a wedge, and would be hard to notice anyway.

Hope this helps.

I am not a club maker. This is what I have read, based on Andre's recommendation. For each 9 gram of shaft, swing weight changes by 1 point, but it is really not felt by any armature player until there is a 4 or more points change in swing weight before even a pro can feel the difference. therefore depending on the difference in shaft weight from a DGS 200 to DGS 300, you may find out how much of swing weight you are loosing if the shafts are equal lenght. and if the difference is about 4 points or 36 grams in shaft weight, you won't even feel the difference. Hope this helps.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanifi
    I am not a club maker. This is what I have read, based on Andre's recommendation. For each 9 gram of shaft, swing weight changes by 1 point, but it is really not felt by any armature player until there is a 4 or more points change in swing weight before even a pro can feel the difference. therefore depending on the difference in shaft weight from a DGS 200 to DGS 300, you may find out how much of swing weight you are loosing if the shafts are equal lenght. and if the difference is about 4 points or 36 grams in shaft weight, you won't even feel the difference. Hope this helps.
    Forget about the swingweight in the above scenario as any change that might exist will not be felt and even if it was, it's not that important. Swingweight matching is an archiac way of matching clubs, but perhaps, more about that some other time.

Here are the differences between a DGS200 and a DGS300.

Frequency: 318 cpm versus 320 cpm

Torque: 1.67* versus 1.66*

Minimum swing speed required: 82.17 mph versus 82.78 ***

These numbers are based on a 5 iron with a length of 37.5". If you can tell the difference between these two clubs when swinging, you have the touch of a surgeon. Oh, you are a surgeon.

An average golfer better have a healthy swingspeed with the 5 iron in order for the Dynamic or Dynamic Gold line to work effectively for them. It's obvious that they play very stiff compared to other steel shafts, and it is a truism that too many golfers are playing with a shaft that is too stiff for their swing speeds or rate of acceleration.

Lighten/soften up.

*** DSFI. Dynacraft Shaft Fitting Index, Technical Resources, Shaft Information, Chapter 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Forget about the swingweight in the above scenario as any change that might exist will not be felt and even if it was, it's not that important. Swingweight matching is an archiac way of matching clubs, but perhaps, more about that some other time.

Here are the differences between a DGS200 and a DGS300.

Frequency: 318 cpm versus 320 cpm

Torque: 1.67* versus 1.66*

Minimum swing speed required: 82.17 mph versus 82.78 ***

These numbers are based on a 5 iron with a length of 37.5". If you can tell the difference between these two clubs when swinging, you have the touch of a surgeon. Oh, you are a surgeon.

An average golfer better have a healthy swingspeed with the 5 iron in order for the Dynamic or Dynamic Gold line to work effectively for them. It's obvious that they play very stiff compared to other steel shafts, and it is a truism that too many golfers are playing with a shaft that is too stiff for their swing speeds or rate of acceleration.

Lighten/soften up.

*** DSFI. Dynacraft Shaft Fitting Index, Technical Resources, Shaft Information, Chapter 2.
    I think that's what I said too. And since he is talking about wedges, and we all know that wedges have the heaviest head in our clubs, and have shortest shaft. and becuase he is using the same heads, therefore wieght, flex, frequency, tourque of the shafts are not that imperative in how they perform when it come to wedeges.. It's the bounce and loft and head weight and how they feel that are more important than frequency and torque. wedges are used for around the green shots, and hardly used at the full swing. If I am wrong please correct me.

Thread Information