CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar

A little dilemma

So , i'm going to change my equipment this off season , and i'm going to get my clubs fitted for my swing characteristics. However , i fully intend to work on my swing over the winter which will obviously change the characteristics.
    My dilemma is when to get fitted.
    The clubs i have are not what i need ( i need game improvement) so , do i stick with what i got until i develope my swing , then buy and get fitted or do i get new clubs sooner and develope my swing with the new set up ?
    Help...i'm confusing myself again
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Get fitted, get the new clubs, then work on the swing with the new clubs as they will be better suited to your swing and ability. just my humble opinion.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Totally agree. Once you are fitted, lessons will be far more valuable.

Re-fitting should not be necessary until significant improvements are made in your swing / club head speed.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Holy crap!!

If YOU need game improvement sticks what the hell am I doing with 3 sets or forged blade-like irons

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Holy crap!!

If YOU need game improvement sticks what the hell am I doing with 3 sets or forged blade-like irons
    It means you should sell them and buy a personalized bowling ball and pink shirt so you can take up a sport you MIGHT be able to master

Wilster, get fitted first bud!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Holy crap!!

Dreaming?
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I appreciate the input guys , so all i've got to do now is find the right clubs
    .... to be continued

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    It means you should sell them and buy a personalized bowling ball and pink shirt so you can take up a sport you MIGHT be able to master

Wilster, get fitted first bud!
    Unlike you I don't particularly enjoy playing with my balls (bowling or otherwise) in public ...........Maybe I'll looking into something like darts - I hear that they consume a beverage called Beer which is supposedly quite good

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Dreaming?
    In the immortal words of Andre Agassi - "Image is everything"

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    i was told you should take lessons first and then get fit.
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Does this not boil down to "What is the primary reason for getting fitted"

I believe that there are two possible answers to this question:

1. So that your clubs fit your physical dimensions
    2. So that your clubs fit your swing.

Obviously both factor into to it, but which one factors in more?

If you are very tall or very short I would believe that getting shaft length and lies adjusted to match you physical characteristics would be the most important single reason for getting fitted.

On the other hand if you had a super high or super low swing speed then changing shafts so that the flex matched your swing would probably be the most important single factor.

Another thing to consider would be how drastic a change will lessons cause to your existing swing? I think it is hard to say initially.........Personally I'd go and get fitted first and then, if after taking lessons and having any swing changes take hold you can go for a follow-up assessment and have some tweaking done if required.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Unlike you I don't particularly enjoy playing with my balls (bowling or otherwise) in public ...........Maybe I'll looking into something like darts - I hear that they consume a beverage called Beer which is supposedly quite good
    Are you referring to the large one with holes or the smaller hand size?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Does this not boil down to "What is the primary reason for getting fitted"

I believe that there are two possible answers to this question:

1. So that your clubs fit your physical dimensions
    2. So that your clubs fit your swing.

Obviously both factor into to it, but which one factors in more?

If you are very tall or very short I would believe that getting shaft length and lies adjusted to match you physical characteristics would be the most important single reason for getting fitted.

On the other hand if you had a super high or super low swing speed then changing shafts so that the flex matched your swing would probably be the most important single factor.

Another thing to consider would be how drastic a change will lessons cause to your existing swing? I think it is hard to say initially.........Personally I'd go and get fitted first and then, if after taking lessons and having any swing changes take hold you can go for a follow-up assessment and have some tweaking done if required.
    Hacker sums it up pretty well.

Ideally what you should do is get fitted based on your current physical ability/makeup.

For a complete novice, after lessons and playing time it's pretty much a given that their swing speed and mechanics could change dramatically requiring them to be re-fit.

If you are already have some amount of ability and are working mostly on consistency/repeatability then lessons are less likely to make a drastic change requiring a re-fit.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    I appreciate the input guys , so all i've got to do now is find the right clubs
    .... to be continued
    Will, if your a high handicapper like me then I suggest you go with the most forgiving clubs available. Until you are a 14 hc or less there is not much use in having clubs that you can "work" one way or the other. If your like me, you need clubs that can get you to the green more often. That's the ultra game improvement category.

http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp...cd2=1222959832

The Callaways irons are almost all at the top of the list.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

My handicap is around 13 , and i've come to realize that blades or players clubs aren't helping me on my consistancy. So i guess i'm looking for game improvement or super game improvement (whatever the difference is) to help with the not so good shots.
    The goal is to get around a 10 h/c and hold it there for a while.
    Then of course get to scratch and go on tour
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Will, if your a high handicapper like me then I suggest you go with the most forgiving clubs available. Until you are a 14 hc or less there is not much use in having clubs that you can "work" one way or the other. If your like me, you need clubs that can get you to the green more often. That's the ultra game improvement category.

http://www.golfworks.com/article.asp...cd2=1222959832

The Callaways irons are almost all at the top of the list.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Heck, go gor the ultra game improvement, there is a nice set of X-14s in the RH forum for a mere 2 bills.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

I agree with Lefty----why buy an expensive race car whn your having trouble driving a vw? Seriously---I thought of doing this in the spring and when all was said and done it would not be cheap. I'm currently using a set of clubs bought at CB 5 yeas ago---just starting to hit my driver. I am consistantly between 87 nd 93 but I can also go from a low of 83 to a high last week of 102 My average for the year is 90.3 and I'll be dammed if I can my HC down to 19. As far as I am concerned it's not being consistant-----if your not consistant with what your using now---what makes spending big bucks on equipment you cant use make any sense???? Wierd question but I think you know what I mean.

Believe it or not I am happy with how I am playing---just got to realize that with only 5 years playing there are just too many variables in this game to become a low handicapper---say under 10. Willy your a lot younger than I so you would have a much better chance; but I think you have to be consitant first.

This game if a lot of fun; but in no means easy

Just my humble opinion---as this game keeps telling me

I'll give the counter opinion on blades vs cavity backs.

When I switched to blades about 4 years ago I was around a 13 or 14. The "nice" thing about blades is that when you miss, you know it. They can be very unforgiving of mistakes. However, they also give you a lot of feedback in terms of whether you hit the ball on the toe, or thin, etc.

I was able to get my handicap down from 13-14 in the 7 +/-1 range in about two years using the blades.

One extra piece of information is that I fit my blades to swing (lie, length, loft were all adjusted) when I was a 13 and they were the same when I was a 7.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Another "con" against the game-improvement category I find is too much offset. I'm not a low handicapper, but my tendancy with irons is to draw or hook the ball. This is just pronounced with offset game improvement irons. I know not all so-called game improvement sets are really offset, but the majority tend to be.
    Andrew

I've had cavity backs and blades and both have their advantages ,for sure , but I'll be taking my time on this one , i really like the titleist ap1 and the cobra s9's , but i'm open to opinions on others

I forget, what's your current iron setup?

Wishon 550c and 550m r-flex shafts

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Check the "What's in the bag" icon
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I did but he didn't have the shaft info. Which R-flex?

It may be as simple as the shafts aren't a good fit for you. I'm a notorious shaft ho, and really started playing better when I went to stiffer shafts. First to Rifles, then to PX, and now onto FST Pro 125s.

Since I build my own I can tinker (seemingly endlessly) with the shaft setup. I'm really liking my current setup which is a non-standard slope for the FSTs.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    I've had cavity backs and blades and both have their advantages ,for sure , but I'll be taking my time on this one , i really like the titleist ap1 and the cobra s9's , but i'm open to opinions on others
    Both the AP1 and S9 have a very thick top line....if your used to playing baldes this might turn you off.
    try the Cleveland CG Golds, super game improvment yet have a very conservative shape.

http://clevelandgolf.com

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/s...-P5601C23.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    Both the AP1 and S9 have a very thick top line....if your used to playing baldes this might turn you off.
    try the Cleveland CG Golds, super game improvment yet have a very conservative shape.

http://clevelandgolf.com

http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/s...-P5601C23.aspx
    Yeah , i forgot about these , they are pretty sweet also.
    The shafts in the wishons are dynamic gold r300 .

Have you ever tried Rifles?

I've personally never been a fan of the DG. Just don't like the feel of them.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Another "con" against the game-improvement category I find is too much offset. I'm not a low handicapper, but my tendancy with irons is to draw or hook the ball. This is just pronounced with offset game improvement irons. I know not all so-called game improvement sets are really offset, but the majority tend to be.
    You're the exception to the rule i.e draw. I have seen a lot of game improvement heads with minimal offset. On the other hand the Ping Eyes 2 would not be for you.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    two different takes on the issue:

From a clubmaker's standpoint:

Myth 12 - Custom fit golf clubs are only for really good golfers.

Okay, I understand why professional golfers have to be perfectly fitted. I can even
    understand why some of my low handicap friends would want to do so. But I am just a
    weekend hacker. My game doesn't justify having a set that is that fancy.

As a matter of fact, you have it exactly backwards. Pros and low handicappers could
    play golf with just about anything. Over the years they have grooved their swings to
    the point where they can almost instantly adjust to almost any equipment problem or
    difference.

YOU, however, DO NOT have that ability, which is why YOU need custom clubs even
    MORE than they do.

From a golf pro:

Custom Golf Clubs are becoming very popular and much more affordable than they used to be. The question is whether or not you should get fitted and this depends on your skill level and how much you are willing to spend. Read on to figure out whether or not you should get fitted for custom clubs.
    The first thing to consider when thinking about getting fitted for custom clubs is your skill level. If you are a high handicap golfer, then custom clubs are your last thought. High handicap golfers should be more concerned with their short game and their swing before they every consider getting fitted. The custom golf club makers will make it sound like their clubs will fix your entire game, but that is not true.
    If you are a mid handicap golfer, then you might want custom clubs, but they will be a poor investment because they will not really help your golf swing or handicap much. You should still be working you your swing and your short game. These are the areas that need to worked on in order to drop your handicap.
    Now if you are a low handicap golfer, say around a 10 or below, then getting fitted for a custom set of golf clubs is definately a wise investment for you. This will be a step towards scratch golf for you, although it will not be a dramatic improvement, it will help in many areas. You should still be concentrating on your short game to drop more strokes from your handicap.
    The second thing to consider with getting fitted is the price. You need to figure out whether it is more important to spend the money on new clubs or on lessons, books, and training aids to help you swing the clubs you already have better.
    So if you are considering getting fitted and you are not a 10 or below handicap golfer, then you need to consider using the money you might spend on new golf clubs to get lessons, books, a range pass for practice, and training aids to help you swing your current clubs better first. Then, after refining your swing you may want to consider custom golf clubs.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    two different takes on the issue:

From a clubmaker's standpoint:

Myth 12 - Custom fit golf clubs are only for really good golfers.

Okay, I understand why professional golfers have to be perfectly fitted. I can even
    understand why some of my low handicap friends would want to do so. But I am just a
    weekend hacker. My game doesn't justify having a set that is that fancy.

As a matter of fact, you have it exactly backwards. Pros and low handicappers could
    play golf with just about anything. Over the years they have grooved their swings to
    the point where they can almost instantly adjust to almost any equipment problem or
    difference.

YOU, however, DO NOT have that ability, which is why YOU need custom clubs even
    MORE than they do.

From a golf pro:

Custom Golf Clubs are becoming very popular and much more affordable than they used to be. The question is whether or not you should get fitted and this depends on your skill level and how much you are willing to spend. Read on to figure out whether or not you should get fitted for custom clubs.
    The first thing to consider when thinking about getting fitted for custom clubs is your skill level. If you are a high handicap golfer, then custom clubs are your last thought. High handicap golfers should be more concerned with their short game and their swing before they every consider getting fitted. The custom golf club makers will make it sound like their clubs will fix your entire game, but that is not true.
    If you are a mid handicap golfer, then you might want custom clubs, but they will be a poor investment because they will not really help your golf swing or handicap much. You should still be working you your swing and your short game. These are the areas that need to worked on in order to drop your handicap.
    Now if you are a low handicap golfer, say around a 10 or below, then getting fitted for a custom set of golf clubs is definately a wise investment for you. This will be a step towards scratch golf for you, although it will not be a dramatic improvement, it will help in many areas. You should still be concentrating on your short game to drop more strokes from your handicap.
    The second thing to consider with getting fitted is the price. You need to figure out whether it is more important to spend the money on new clubs or on lessons, books, and training aids to help you swing the clubs you already have better.
    So if you are considering getting fitted and you are not a 10 or below handicap golfer, then you need to consider using the money you might spend on new golf clubs to get lessons, books, a range pass for practice, and training aids to help you swing your current clubs better first. Then, after refining your swing you may want to consider custom golf clubs.

Chief---but does not the reasoning by the pro make more sense ? If your going to learn to do something---should you not be learning how to do it right --- first ?

Thread Information