CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge killer21 is on a distinguished road killer21's Avatar

Prolaunch Platinum x Flex Tip Trim???

Any know the tip trimming instructions? Golfsmith says 1.25" for standard. Other sites say butt trim only. Graffalloy site doesn't have trimming instructions for Platinum. Their website sucks! I think it is 4" P.t.s..

Thanks for your help.

both Golfsmith and Golfworks recommend 1.25" so I will go with the experts.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Depends on the head. Stick the raw shaft in the head . Measure total club length. Subtract total length from shaft raw length. That is the amount that need to be tip trimmed. Different bores yields different results.
    It aslo depends on the clubmaker. Satanat the GW is a big fan of no tipping. His take is that it will allow you to launch the ball higher. He is a big fan of high launch. Some swear by tipping and some prefer a target frequency.If it does not fit you must acquit
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Depends on the head. Stick the raw shaft in the head . Measure total club length. Subtract total length from shaft raw length. That is the amount that need to be tip trimmed. Different bores yields different results.
    It aslo depends on the clubmaker. Satanat the GW is a big fan of no tipping. His take is that it will allow you to launch the ball higher. He is a big fan of high launch. Some swear by tipping and some prefer a target frequency.If it does not fit you must acquit
    Thanks Chieflongtee!
    I was a little curious to find out what would happen if not tipped. I assumed would play a little softer and launch higher. Good theory on not tipping depending on what you are trying to achieve. I had a prolaunch blue in there originally, tipped 1 1/4" to spec (btw Cally Hyper X Driver 10*) and it was plenty high enough. Liked the ease of launch, but think I could achieve a little less spin and a little less height. So I believe I will tip it 1 1/4" or whatever it measures out to as you suggested so I can compare to the pl blue.
    The story is I have worked my ball flight too low with tour heads and low launching shafts that I finally realized I was losing distance so now trying to increase launch to gain distance, thus the PL Blue experiment. May go back to the PL Blue if the platinum doesn't do the trick. Look forward to talking again.
    Great advice!

Just measured it as you said, came out to .75", so I think that means the Hyper X is a blind bore hosel - could not find that info anywhere so assumed it was standard bore.
    So I am going to tip trim it .75", that is the blind bore spec on the trim insturctions.
    Is Blind bore the correct term for the Hyper X Hosel?

If I tip it 11/4" than I would have had a problem achieving the original 45.5" shaft length so that explains why the shaft was coming up a bit short as I over trimmed it.
    Thanks again.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    If not tool late install it with no tip trimming and do not cut to final playing lenth. Blow a grip on(if you have acccess to a compressor) and try it like that(you can grip down) If you like it remove the grip and cut to final playing lenth. If you don't like it pull it and trim it. Repeat the process until you hit your target" Keep in mind though that you only have 4 '' PTS. Good luck.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Putter 73monte is on a distinguished road
    You should tip it the recommended 1.25. The reason being, the raw length of that shaft is meant for a bore-thru. You would tip it .75 for a blind bore, and the 1.25 is for standard. If you don't trim it. the shaft will not play to spec. Likely considerably softer.

Thread Information