100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar

what is Alfie worth?

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=251186

He has not even played a game this year and talk about him for next year has already started!

My opinion is alfie is worth more than Sundin, and would get offers that match what Mats got this year. Wont be surprised if he takes much less to say in Ottawa. Not only does he love being a Sen he loves this city and said he will call it home for ever. How many players would give up $$ to get a player to help win the cup! none but Alfie! He is the back bone of this team and hope he ends his career as a Senator!

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    priceless

Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo View Post
    priceless
    to alot of people in this city that statement is true!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    A lot. he is a pillar in the community and th heart and soul of the team just look at their record when he's injured. Not good.

If he asks to sleep wioth Melnyk's wife, the keys to his car, and the watch off his wrist I would say "yes sir!!!:.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Priceless works for me........

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    i would think they will have good conversations with Alfie and he will take a reduced fee, but only if its because they need the money to sign another 'piece' of the puzzle, such as a true #1 goalie. Hopefully Gerber does play like we all hope he does, but if not they could be scooping up a goalie in December/January.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    what good is giving up money to win a club if you didn' win the cup... if you don't win the cup then you are just stupid IMO
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I guess you are right, English is your second language
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I guess that the chance you take! Be like me buying a lotto tickett....kinda sucks ya spent 5 bucks but lost. but you dont know unless you take the chance. Just means he wants to win...a little more than most!

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    what good is giving up money to win a club if you didn' win the cup... if you don't win the cup then you are just stupid IMO

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    You give up the money for a CHANCE to win the cup......
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Yes of course. All of sports is a chance who knows who may get injured, or what might happen. Its all about taking the best chance possible.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    The other "Super Star Swede" was stupid. Alfie isn't.

The other one would not wave his no trade claus, he wanted to remain with his team.

Now where is he?

Alfie feels the Sens can win the Cup. Add in the fact he loves your city so why not stay?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post

The other one would not wave his no trade claus, he wanted to remain with his team.

Now where is he?

Alfie feels the Sens can win the Cup. Add in the fact he loves your city so why not stay?
    I agree totally

I'll also submit that I think Alfie is one of those guys who realizes that the difference between 4-5M/yr and 6-7M/yr isn't that much because both amounts are more than you one could ever need in a lifetime

if he thinks 4-5 vs 6-7 is the same i hope he goes because I don't want an idiot as my captain. to you it maybe a lot of money but these guys spend a lot as well. its a dif of 1m after tax
    willy

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    if he thinks 4-5 vs 6-7 is the same i hope he goes because I don't want an idiot as my captain. to you it maybe a lot of money but these guys spend a lot as well. its a dif of 1m after tax
    I guess you want to bring back Alexei Yashin then. No way he would take a measly 4-5 million - he's a guy who really knows the value of a dollar!

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    these guys spend a lot as well
    So living a life of excess and greed makes them smarter somehow?

It all comes down to what you place value on. Is staying in Ottawa worth $1M to Alfredsson? A few people have mentioned Aflie is priceless to our team. How priceless is Ottawa to him? We'll soon find out.
    Wannabe Golf

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Alfie will retire a Sen after this contract and can basically write his own ticket. He is the face of the team and a pillar in the community. He also realizes that to win, you need balance and I don't think he'll seek a huge contract in order to keep some balance on the team. He's that kind of guy. Expect Alfie to work for the Sens in some capacity long after he retires as well.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Seems like its unfair to expect Alfie to take the hit against market value just because he's a 'good guy' and a 'team player'. Those type of things, in addition to his outstanding skills as a player, should earn him a premium, not force him to give up a discount. He has played out his under market contract without complaint, an especially honourable act given the Yashin BS that he was witness to. He is the best player the Sens have and deserves to be paid that way. It shouldn't even be a question.

there are a lot of good guys in the NHL and they have to do what is best for themselves. What is best for the team comes after them, their family, their career.. these guys do spend a lot of money. They don't just go out and spend $5mil on a house, they put a down payment, they take a loan for the rest, they invest their money. They lose money, they make money. They will be done playing when they are 40 and have 40+ years to think about. Not every NHL player gets a job in hockey and by the time they retire their educations are worth nothing... so yes, $1m cash in your pocket is a lot of money.
    willy

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    The Sens should lock him up for life, perhaps a playing salary and then a guaranteed job with the team afterwards. Not sure how they can do that since there are no longer the "personal services" contracts.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

oh, you could do that in the past? tell the guy to stop playing and then put him in an office? that would be kinda cool
    willy

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post

Now where is he?

Why is he stupid? There's nobody holding a gun to his head saying he has to play. He's a free agent, he can go wherever he wants (or not at all), that's his choice. They gave him a "no trade" clause, and people whined because he wouldn't waive it. It was his to do with as he chose. He owes that team nothing. He negotiated that clause because he didn't want to go anywhere else.

If Alfie is so happy to stay in Ottawa, then why did he negotiate such a simple 70/70 escape clause for each of the next 3 years? Because, if things go for a crap, then he can jump ship.

Seems to me that the guy with the "no trade" showed more loyalty than the guy with the escape clause.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Why is he stupid? There's nobody holding a gun to his head saying he has to play. He's a free agent, he can go wherever he wants (or not at all), that's his choice. They gave him a "no trade" clause, and people whined because he wouldn't waive it. It was his to do with as he chose. He owes that team nothing. He negotiated that clause because he didn't want to go anywhere else.

If Alfie is so happy to stay in Ottawa, then why did he negotiate such a simple 70/70 escape clause for each of the next 3 years? Because, if things go for a crap, then he can jump ship.

Seems to me that the guy with the "no trade" showed more loyalty than the guy with the escape clause.
    I agree on sundin....not really fair to say what he is doing is stupid....I just dont think he really wants to go to a team that has little chance of doing much this year in Vancouver and to go to the Habs would be a slap in the face to the Leafs. I think he is just tired and does not really know if he wants to play another 82 game season.

Dont think you can really say that Alfie is less loyal for taking a 70/70 clause...Mukler put that in there to make his contract seem a little more fair. The guy was taking alot less than market value. If he gets the option at the end of the year and takes it he is well deserving of it....but dont think he will be asking for 8 mil over the next 4 season though. He might look for a little more but nothing that will hurt the team.

Thread Information