CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Another stupid fundamentals question

Tee-up position, ball : clubface ratio.

........... Where should be ball be positioned height-wise? I've been told in the past that the ball should be about 1/2 visible over the top of the club face if viewed directly from behind.

Personally, I tend to tee-up a bit lower, but haven't noticed much of a difference in trajectory from when I tee-up high.

Anyone care to explain the relationship between teeing up at different heights and the effects on the shot (assuming ball in central in the stance at address).

Thanks.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Tee-up position, ball : clubface ratio.

........... Where should be ball be positioned height-wise? I've been told in the past that the ball should be about 1/2 visible over the top of the club face if viewed directly from behind.

Personally, I tend to tee-up a bit lower, but haven't noticed much of a difference in trajectory from when I tee-up high.

Anyone care to explain the relationship between teeing up at different heights and the effects on the shot (assuming ball in central in the stance at address).

Thanks.

Dan
    It depends on your club. will launch very high if your tee it up. It depends where the sweet spot is.

Get some impact tape from your favourite golf store and apply it to the face of your club. Try different heights and adjust the height till you're hitting the sweet spot.

Cheers

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    But there has to be a recommended standard to start with....

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    But there has to be a recommended standard to start with....

Dan
    You had it in your post. From everything I've read it's the equator of the ball should be level with the top of your clubhead. It's perfect for my Taylor Made 580.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    I've been told in the past that the ball should be about 1/2 visible over the top of the club face if viewed directly from behind.
    This is old school but dead on.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    This is old school but dead on.
    With todays large headed drivers and high coefficient of restitution faces, more and more golfers are teeing the ball a little higher than the traditional, "at the equator" of the ball, height.

Contact above the percusion centre or sweet spot will launch the ball higher, which is OK, as there is less spin on the ball compared to the "old" fashioned driver heads of last month. The deep faces on these clubs also for allows a ball to be teed lower for a more driving shot when needed, however, it does not have to be teed at grass blade height to get a low shot, like we had to do with the old persimmon drivers. Anyone still have a persimmon driver? These large heads make shot trajectory easier to control, but they also make fading and drawing more of a challenge, because they are built for forgiveness. In golf, there is always a trade-off.

Actually have an ancient persimmon driver made with love a care by the hands Chuck Brown, with a hard graphite insert and with the hosel drilled "open" by Chuck. This was the former way clubs could be made to cure the hooks.

Thread Information