CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand Point

Ace Felix is on a distinguished road Felix's Avatar

Sand Point

Playing Sand point Friday and someone told a buddy of mine that it was in terrible shape. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    All I have heard is the same. I think they had major thatch issues with the greens and they basically turned to straight mud.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I played there with Priorlad on Sept 6. The fairways were very very nice, at least half of the greens were fine, the other half had some dead spots. But that was almost 3 weeks ago now...
    It was well worth it then.
    Andrew

BigFlopper

Root rot

Yeah I was out there a few weeks ago and the greens were dead. I talked to a guy in the proshop and he said it was because there was too much rain and the roots just rotted. I doubt it would have recovered by now.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Is sand point the Arnprior course?
    Bite, Bite!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I played there two weeks ago--the greens were ok then?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Don't confuse Sand Point with Madawaska. Both are in Arnprior. Madawaska is in great shape. I cannot speak for the other course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershot View Post
    Is sand point the Arnprior course?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFlopper View Post
    Yeah I was out there a few weeks ago and the greens were dead. I talked to a guy in the proshop and he said it was because there was too much rain and the roots just rotted. I doubt it would have recovered by now.
    If this is the case then why haven't all the other courses in the area suffered the same plight, as we have all had a very wet year?

There are various fungi that can do serious damage to greens depending on weather conditions and the ability of the greens staff to recognize the symptoms and treat/spray accordingly is paramount. There is more to solving the problem than cutting a few trees.

5 Iron priorlad is on a distinguished road
    I agree that there were some serious issues 4 to 6 weeks ago with our greens at the Arnprior Golf Course. They had recovered rather nicely, and as of last Sunday were in quite decent shape.

That said, 7 of the greens were deep core aerated last Sunday evening. I haven't been to the course since that time, but I should imagine that these 7 greens will be bumpy.

Our management team procured the services of the RCGA agronomist when this most recent problem with our greens arose. His findings indicated that the problems with the greens were caused by several factors: entry and exit area compaction, thatching and insufficient air flow and sunshine.

The course has responded by: purchasing a new deep core aerator, beginning a tree removal program to improve airflow and sunshine, and commencing a long term plan to agressively deal with the compaction issue.

We are expecting to see a vast improvement in the quality of the greens as early as next summer.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by priorlad View Post
    Our management team procured the services of the RCGA agronomist when this most recent problem with our greens arose. His findings indicated that the problems with the greens were caused by several factors: entry and exit area compaction, thatching and insufficient air flow and sunshine.

The course has responded by: purchasing a new deep core aerator, beginning a tree removal program to improve airflow and sunshine, and commencing a long term plan to agressively deal with the compaction issue.

We are expecting to see a vast improvement in the quality of the greens as early as next summer.
    There is no doubt that changing the way your course is cared for is needed and I hope that you get the improvements you deserve. Your course was in superb condition in June and seemingly, "all of a sudden" it was not. The value of 2 or 3 times yearly aeration cannot be underestimated in our harsh, Eastern Ontario climate and so the aerator will certainly help.

From my past experience, however, I have seen a "Southern Ontario" influence produce unacceptable results. If the summer is hot and wet/humid, greenskeepers do a lot of spraying when they see certain symptoms on the turf and I hope your staff knows what they look like and has the budget to spray when needed. With so many course from which to choose and with Renfrew/Whitetail/Oaks only a few more kilometres farther up the Valley, AGC has to be in good shape to attract the paying customers. Best of luck.

When I was played AGC in July, there was damage on the first 12 greens but very little on the rest. Was there any reason for this revealed?

BC: I haven't been made aware of any differences in the greens that would make the first 12 be affected, but of course, the 1st 12 greens contain 8 of the original greens to the AGC. They are 85 years old, and the other ten, newer greens are only 20 years old. I would expect that the base materials are different, causing a problem with the older greens.

Sand Point

OK I played there on Friday and yes the course is in need of some work. Was dissapointed. Last time I played there (June) I told Mike behind the counter how beautiful the course was and in great shape. But I sure do hope some time and TLC is spent on the course, cause I will not play it again this year. Just my 2 cents

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Felix, can you be more specific, were the greens in bad shape but fairways were fine etc. Did the greens hold the ball, I am playing there on Saturday.Thanks, Luc
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Lefty,

I played on both Saturday and Sunday at Sand Point. The fairways are excellent. The rough is thick and difficult. The greens are as puttable as freshly punched greens are. The greens are all receptive to the ball, and are holding well. My playing partner yesterday shot his best round in 5 years of being a member at Sand Point.

PriorLad

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Good

Well, that sounds pretty good, a lot of courses have punched greens, are they all punched or are they recovering form being punched. Yesterday, at Falconridge the greens were very bumpy and awful, would your greens be better than that?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Lefty,

The greens were punched last Sunday and Monday(21st and 22nd), and the healing process is well advanced now, and should only be better come next weekend. I was looking at my stats from yesterday, and I had two 3 putts, only 1 of which I could attribute to the green's condition. The other 3 putt was caused by a brain cramp which led me to hit my 1st putt 9 feet past the hole. I didn't deserve to make the comebacker!

PriorLad

Sounds good, glad to hear the greens are healing, I PM'd you with a request.

Luc
    Lefty Lucas

Sand Point

Ok Lefty IMO the greens were basically unputtable lots of bear spots with no grass at all, the fairways were plush with nice rough, and the greens were not holdable. So there is my view on it, please let me know what you think. Obviously priorlad is a member and I do respect that but these are my thoughts only

Well now, somewhat differing opinions, in any case they cannot be worse than the greens I played last Sunday at Falconridge, they were yucky
    Lefty Lucas

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I played on Sunday and the greens are not that bad at all. Only some are punched and roll like punched greens roll. Others are in good shape and roll really nice. To say that the course or the greens are unplayable is a bit dramatic.

Thanks for all of the input guys, sounds like it will be OK for the most part.
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information