100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Otter Creek Golf Club

I played Otter Creek Golf Club this past week, first time I have played there.The course opened this summer and has come along very well.

Located just outside Otterville, which is not far from Tillsonburg the course is easy to get too off the 401.

Built on 260 acres of land that Otter Creek flows through the course offers some very nice scenery and some very good golf holes. We played the blue tees which measure just over 6700 yards. The longest Par 3 from those tees measures 200 yards, the longest par 4 is 441 yards and the longest Par 5 was 550.

There is a Par 4 that can be driven, 279 yards. In fact one of the guys I played with hit an easy driver and his ball landed 3 inches in front of the cup. A 1/2 inch to the left and it would have hit the flag stick.

A couple of the Par 4's make you think about club selection off the tee which is also a nice thing.

#9 is a Par 4 that plays 418 yards but it is all up hill. 268 yards off the tee is a ravine, which can not be driven over.

There is currently no club house, just a trailer to pay green fees etc. No alcohol served on the course. Not sure why, maybe they have not applied for their license.

One word of advice, take a cart if you play the course. There are some long distances in between greens and tees. It is not a friendly course to walk.

If you are within easy driving distance then check the course out. It is worth playing at least once, I would go back again.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    played last week. loved it. Thought the number 9 hole was the only one i did not like. Severely up hill and into the wind. If you do not drive it far enough, you have problems hitting your second over the ravine. To get to the ravine you need a 268 yard uphill into wind, tee shot, something i do not have.
    Other than that it has many memorable and different holes, lots of elevation changes, fairways and greens that look like the course is in good shape, does not look brand new plus the greens rolled decent and true. Agree with all other comments above re needing a cart and the lack of any alcohol (plus no food as they ran out of sandwhiches that day so only had chips and pop).
    But i would overlook that, and prices are cheap. Not in the gta so it only charges around $65 including cart weekdays, used lastminutegolfer to get it for $48 inc tax and cart. Nice track, worth seeking out.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I loved the 9th hole It was into the wind the day I played. I hit driver, 5 iron to set up an easy 2 putt par.

I agree if you are not long off the tee it would be a tough hole. However there are other tees to play. Apparently they have a card that has blue and white tees on it. That brings the yardage down to around 6200 yards. Ask for that card if you play it again. 6700 yards is just about my limits. However I did not find too many of the par 4's that long when compared to some of the par 4's I play at STG&CC. The longest par 4 was 432, the 15th and I made par.

If you play off the tees you are comfortable with you will truly enjoy the course.

Decent prices for now. I am curious as to what they do next season as far as green fees go. I feel they can not raise them much. After all they are in the middle of no where. The lack of beer was not an issue to me. I am sure they'll be licensed once they build the clubhouse.

There was a beverage cart around quite often so at least you could buy pop or water.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Yeah, i agree blue white would be better. I also agree that only a couple other holes (one a par 3 was long enough you needed a longer iron but because of wind it would not land and hold green) but other than that most holes were not too long playing all blues.
    Re prices. I just cannot understand how a course as nice as this, can survive in middle of nowhere. Just coming off of the 401 to go south in what i thought would be a little zig and little zag and ....pow! you're there...was quite the little jaunt...add in the unexpected construction exactly where you needed to go to the course, becoming quite a long detour.
    I know from when my mom lived in london that the area has a surplus of affordable golf and that people genereally golfing there, will not pay alot. Tell them to travel from london all the way there and are they going into the middle of the country for high priced golf? No way.
    But....its a really nice course...so loyal players will make the trek...but can i ever see it busy busy? not a chance.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

I was told that the green on the longest Par 3, the 12th was going to be rebuilt. Then I was told it was not going to be rebuilt

Next time I play there I will aim for the front right portion of that green and hope the pin is accessible from there. Hitting a hybrid into that green from 200 +, or 4 or 5 iron for that matter just won't work. The green slopes away.

As for the location. I doubt they are trying to attract London golfers. Woodstock is booming, with the new auto plant opening, etc. I think that is who they are targeting. They claim it is 15 minutes south of Woodstock. I could not tell you that for sure as I came from Highway #3 and went north. The construction will not be there next year.

Time will tell, but someone must have done some golf market research before investing the amount of cash it took to build that course.

Thread Information