CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

Recommendations on a computer retailer wanted

Hey everyone,

The time has come for me to up-grade my PC at home and rather than going to a box store and buying a generic POS I thought I'd see if anyone here has a recommendation on where I should go.

I just bought a new 24" monitor so I'm just looking for the box. I want to stay with a PC as opposed to a Mac because I have a relatively big collection of software. The machine doesn't have to be a super powerful gaming PC, but I do play PC based games so that will be a consideration.

Who out there has good quality PCs with good prices and outstanding customer service.

Thanks

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    RB Computing in Bells Corners always provided me with outstanding service when I used to build my own computers. Obviously it's going to be hard to compete with Dell and HP for the same system due to the margins and scale they work on.

What kind of specs are you looking at? You could be better off buying a business based computer from someplace like dell and then just tossing in your own video card and memory to get a little more performance. Depending on the chipset in the system, you shouldn't have much trouble overclocking any of the C2D cpu's for some more free performance.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I built my own - much easier than it sounds. These guys seem to have much better prices than most I have dealt with.

http://directcanada.com/

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    For the last few years, I have always build my computers... I get most of the hardware from http://www.pccyber.com/ and always with ASUS motherboards, Kingston memory and seagate drives... Good prices but service ok... I do my homework up front so I know what I am looking for...

6 Iron McG is on a distinguished road
    I've built my own before but I find now that it's easier to wait for a sale at Future Shop or Best Buy and then buy some upgrades online.

I bought an HP at the Future Shop boxing day sale. It has a quad core CPU which to buy alone would have been over 1/2 the price I paid for the computer. I added a second hard drive, 2 more gigs of ram, 8800gt video card and upgraded the power supply. All for less than $1000.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    You can always go the refurbished route from FS/BB too. They have solid Quad Core Media Centre computers at 30-40% off the new price sometimes (usually HP).
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    I've always liked www.sprintcomputer.com on Somerset.
    "Get your smile on!"

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Computer Rise, 613-841-7885, corner of St. Joseph and Youville, Orleans (strip mall east of Ultrimar Gas). They have what you are looking for.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I agree with PC Cyber I buy almost all my PC stuff from them.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

9 Iron N.V.M. is on a distinguished road
    go to NCIX.com and build your own. they have prebuilt basic setups that you can add or subtract from. if you hate Vista, just tell them you want XP. just that easy.here's the PCBuilder page:

http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/

i've purchased several machines for the shop(Intel Core2D's, Raid 1 setups), only thing is i go pick them up since they're 10 minutes away from me.(save shipping). they usually run in the $650 price range, but if you're into gaming, a good vid card can really pump up the price.

Thread Information