+ Reply to Thread
    6 Iron McG is on a distinguished road

Golf store ethics question

I'm just curious as to what others would do.

Let's say you patronized a local golf store for a new set of irons, driver and bag.

Next month you go to same store looking to buy a pair of shoes. You know what you want but you can only find them in size 11 or 12. You talk to manager/owner of store to find out if they have 11.5 in stock hidden somewhere. He tells you that they are not made in size 11.5 so you buy the 12 as they are closest.

Finding that odd, you do research at home and find that they are made in 11.5 size. You know that manager/owner does all the store ordering and would most likely have to known this but told you otherwise to make the sale anyway.

Would you continue to patronize this store?

For the record, I have made another purchase at said shop since then. I did more research before buying and only bought because it was the best price I could find.

Before the incident, I bought the iron set and the driver knowing I could get a better price online but decided to support a locally owned store.

3 Wood eyeping is on a distinguished road eyeping's Avatar
    I would first confront him, as to his mistake and see what he can do for you. Always remember that the priority is to sell you what they have not what you need.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    who cares, he isn't your best friend who you are buying from. he is in sales, he wants to unload stock and not have to order one pair of shoes in just for you. Its what all good sales people do... LIE
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Always remember that the priority is to sell you what they have not what you need.

Any store that has that priority wouldn't have my $$. The priority of a store/business is to make sure the customer is happy.

I would ask them first why he didn't tell you there were ½ size. He better have a good answer...

If not happy with response I would let them know that you will be shopping somewhere else and that I will encourage my friends to do the same.

I always give the benefit of the doubt to people/saleperson but I think in this case...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    who cares, he isn't your best friend who you are buying from. he is in sales, he wants to unload stock and not have to order one pair of shoes in just for you. Its what all good sales people do... LIE

BS all good sales people lie. I worked part time at the local golf store during the summer months and not once did I BS a customer. Do not call all sales people liars.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    BS all good sales people lie. I worked part time at the local golf store during the summer months and not once did I BS a customer. Do not call all sales people liars.
    I didn't, I said all GOOD sales people LOL
    willy

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Bogie irish_OG is on a distinguished road irish_OG's Avatar

NiceLY SAID!!

i've been in sales many years and i'd have to agree that the mutation of the truth is sometimes used to pull numbers.....and good sales people pull good numbers!!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Oh gawed, I see this thread heading south real fast!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

now that you're hear... lol
    willy

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Dare I say it---the stop watch has started
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    No comment.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Always remember that the priority is to sell you what they have not what you need.
    I agree with this very much... When the gf was looking at getting a new Mazda 3 we had all the details down, and the sales person said there were no Charc. Grey with leather and sunroof to be found in Ontario, so the options they had on the floor were it... (grey with cloth seats).

In checking in cornwall we found the exact model with everything we wanted sitting in the lot! Needless to say we were not impressed and will not deal with the Orleans based mazda again, but understand that they have to sell what they got to make more money.
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Outoftherough,

Not to defend Mazda in Orleans but Mazda-Cornwall probably didn't want to sell their car to Orleans.

Mazda Orleans went on line and look at what was available in Ontario and no Mazda 3 with your options.

If i have a car that I know I will sell in the next 2 weeks I don't want to send it to Orleans, I rather keep it and sell it myself. I wouldn't blame Mazda Orleans... nothing they could do.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    It is also possible that that particular store only stocks full sizes, not halves? So the sales guy may not know that they could be available.

If not then I think it very bad policy. The customer often finds out and then you have lost possible multiple sales in the future. I did used to own a shop, and was always truthful with my customers, and yes Silly, the store was very profitable. lol

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by McG View Post
    Finding that odd, you do research at home and find that they are made in 11.5 size. You know that manager/owner does all the store ordering and would most likely have to known this but told you otherwise to make the sale anyway.

Would you continue to patronize this store?
    First, I would take the shoes back.

Secondly, I would try to determine whether the manager/owner really did know they came in 1/2 sizes or not. If I found the same shoe in any 1/2 size in his store, then I would assume that he knew and he was lying to me.

If he knew, then I'm asking for a refund and never going back. After all, he's not just a salesman - he's the owner - so that's likely to be the way business will always be done there. But if he didn't know, then I would accept an exchange for the size I want and would continue to patronize the store. Stuff happens - everybody makes mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    First, I would take the shoes back.

Secondly, I would try to determine whether the manager/owner really did know they came in 1/2 sizes or not. If I found the same shoe in any 1/2 size in his store, then I would assume that he knew and he was lying to me.

If he knew, then I'm asking for a refund and never going back. After all, he's not just a salesman - he's the owner - so that's likely to be the way business will always be done there. But if he didn't know, then I would accept an exchange for the size I want and would continue to patronize the store. Stuff happens - everybody makes mistakes.
    I used the shoes for the first time the day after buying them. I usually take 11.5 size but I guess I'll never really know if 11.5 would fit me better than the 12 does. There were 1/2 sizes in anything below 10 for that shoe. I guess at the time it seemed to make sense that once you got to the larger sizes, there were no 1/2s. They were Powerbands btw.

When I bought the irons set there, I went in wanting the A3os based on reviews I'd found online. I had a long talk with the guy back then and that's how I know he was the manager/owner and he seemed very knowledgable about all his product. Now that I think about back then, he did have a set of A2os there that he kept pushing at me instead of the A3os because they were last years model and he could give them to me for $100 cheaper. Maybe that should have told me something right there.

I guess the motto here is to be informed about what you want before you go. I really only have myself to blame.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Depends on the person. If you're honest you'll get repeat business for a lifetime and the word of mouth will go around. If you bs then you will make the sale but will never see that customer again and the word of mouth won't be favorable.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

of course he wantedd you to buy last years model of the adams irons. they are just sitting there and he wants to unload them. its all about volume. this is why there are seasonal sales and this is why old stock goes on sale. a good sales person imo is the one that understands that its in the best interest of the store to sell you the clearance stuff over a newer model. the greater the volume, the more money the store makes and having you walk out of the store without the shoes and getting them elsewhere does them no good. lieing to you gets them your money and moves stock.
    you can run a store honestly if you like, tell customers "wait one week ad you can get it on sale" or "we can order that size for you" but you are better off getting the product out and the money in. most people wouldnt go back home and check online AFTER they bought it so they dont really care if they lie. for every 100 people they lie to maybe one catches them? how many people who figure out they got screwed wont go back there again. you are a golfer and if they have a season ending sale most people would forget they got screwed and head back to get a good deal during a sale. golf is like crack... you cant quit and as long as you are playing you will want to save money. Dont go back if you dont want to but you will just get lied to by someone else. here is something i do to avoid this kind of stuff. go to golftown and talk to someone who isnt a department head and let him help you. he isnt an owner or mgr and doesnt have the stores best interest at heart cause he is going to get his $9/hr regardless of the stoere doing well or poorly. i think most who have something to gain by lieing to you... will
    willy

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

No, No, No

A salesperson would lie to get the sale, an excellent sales person would have told the buyer he did not have the item in stock and that another store may have it cheaper. This way the buyer's confidence is not shaken in the store and loyalty is established. Your way silly is a one time sale then none. Ever hear of the saying " the business that stays is the business that pays" Why risk a good customer writing a post like this for one stupid sale. DUH!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I would go back and speak to the manager, and ask why he told you they don't come in the size that you asked for. I would go with some website info stating the sizes that are manufactured and available. I would also ask him to take back the shoes that he sold you, and to order the proper size that you originally asked for. If he says no, then you are stuck with shoes that are the wrong size. I guess you have to do some research on the product before you go shopping now a days.

The question I might ask is: If the shoes were the wrong size, and don't fit properly on your feet, why did you buy them in the first place? Wouldn't you look at other brands, styles, to find a pair that fit your feet and that are comfortable, instead of taking a pai that doesn't fit well.

Just my $0.02, and overpriced at that...

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    The question I might ask is: If the shoes were the wrong size, and don't fit properly on your feet, why did you buy them in the first place? Wouldn't you look at other brands, styles, to find a pair that fit your feet and that are comfortable, instead of taking a pai that doesn't fit well.

Just my $0.02, and overpriced at that...
    I did try on other shoes at the time but I found the Powerbands to be the most comfortable of the bunch. And even in 12, in the store they seemed to fit just as good as any 11.5 that I had on.

Willy, I really don't understand you. You don't make much sense. You would lie to make a sale.

Reminder to myself: Never BUY anything from SillyWilly... he is probably lying to make a sale.

I have bought quite a few things from member from this great website and guess what.. nobody lied to me. Items were always in the condition that I was told. Feedback is what this site is going on just like in the real world.

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    I agree with this very much... When the gf was looking at getting a new Mazda 3 we had all the details down, and the sales person said there were no Charc. Grey with leather and sunroof to be found in Ontario, so the options they had on the floor were it... (grey with cloth seats).

In checking in cornwall we found the exact model with everything we wanted sitting in the lot! Needless to say we were not impressed and will not deal with the Orleans based mazda again, but understand that they have to sell what they got to make more money.
    My parents had almost the exact same experience there. They wanted a Mazda 3 with certain options in a certain colour. The dealer said there were none in the city and they would have had to order one from the factory. When they asked him to look for one in the next trim level up, he said they would have to sign a purchase order before he would even look to see if they had one!

Turns out the Mazda dealer on bank st had the exact car they wanted, so they went there instead.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    I agree with that to a certain extent, but never to the extent that I talked someone into buying something they wouldnt like. if they didnt have the product they should have recomended a different product, with similar features. or if you told him that, that product is the only one you want then they should have ordered it for you.

Working for customer service for a very reputable shoe company right now i see every day just how many special orders are placed... alot of them, so it is nothing out of the ordinary for stores to make their customers happy by getting them what they want

Musicman, I din't post this, EyePing did. I agree with you...

Thread Information