CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grip

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Grip

I know, now I'm pushing the limits of "just how basic a question" should be asked here.

I'm sure there have been posts historically that explain this all very well for right handed golf, as well as left handed. But I'm right handed shooting left, so I think it merits a question. (Also, you guys are great with responses...)

I use a "no overlap" grip, because it is about as close as I can get to baseball without doing baseball. Closer to hockey as well... etc... At any rate, I have noticed that a "pinky/index" finger interlock forces me to keep a more controlled swing. I can't really get comfortable with an overlap grip, so I'm wondering if anyone has any information on why one grip could/would be better than another. If you know specifically about r/L shooters like myself, even better.

Thanks,
    Dan - The "learning for free" guru.
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Like you, I am right handed and play golf left handed - same as hockey and baseball. My handicap bounces between 10-12 through the year. I use the interlocking grip as you describe. I find it the best way to keep my hands "together" whereas with the overlap and Vardon grips my hands alway seem to be flopping around separately. Whether they actually do flop around I don't know but it certainly feels awkward whenever I try those grips. Could be I am just comfortable with the interlock since I've used it for 30 years. It was a very popular grip when I first started to play - a guy named Nicklaus seemed to have a wee bit of success with it.

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    Like you, I am right handed and play golf left handed - same as hockey and baseball. My handicap bounces between 10-12 through the year. I use the interlocking grip as you describe. I find it the best way to keep my hands "together" whereas with the overlap and Vardon grips my hands alway seem to be flopping around separately. Whether they actually do flop around I don't know but it certainly feels awkward whenever I try those grips. Could be I am just comfortable with the interlock since I've used it for 30 years. It was a very popular grip when I first started to play - a guy named Nicklaus seemed to have a wee bit of success with it.
    Gotcha. I'm going into season 6 of my illustrious "career"... :shake

The reason I use the more "baseball" grip is that I get WAY more wrist action, which when applied properly means more distance. I'm a small guy and I hit the 5W 210-230 off the tee dead straight, but when I interlock my pinky and index finger, I lose about 20 yards, but go up about 10-15% in accuracy. I just wonder if it's worth it, since I'm a fairly good recovery player (a la Mickelson as opposed to Weir's technical style). I'm not good enough where fairways automatically translate into greens in reg. I can just as easily hit or miss from the rough.

I'm wondering if there actually is an advantage to hitting clubs longer or shorter, and how grip affects distance/accuracy.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I'm wondering if there actually is an advantage to hitting clubs longer or shorter.
    Dan
    Actually, that's another good question. Is it better to max out on your 8-iron (for ex) or be able to do the same distance with a 6 iron and be happy with it?

I hit 7-i from about 160 and closer, 8-iron from about 140-145, 9-iron up to 140, and PW depending on lie and other stuff can be up to 135yards.

Is that a normal range? I have no idea how far these clubs are supposed to go.

Dan

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    RE: GRIP
    I'm no expert, but I've never READ or HEARD of one grip improving distance or anything for that matter, other than how comfortable you are.

RE: DISTANCE/CLUB CHOICE
    For me, I'd rather go lighter on a club than max out a club. I find if I need the upper limits a club can provide, I'm gambling against probability.

RE: DISTANCES OVERALL
    You seem plenty long. Im shorter than you describe, and I do alright on reaching the green in reg. I actually think of my AVERAGE length rather than my MAX length when chosing a club. Im always 10 yards longer off a tee.

2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

it depends...

as to your question on the 8 iron vs the 6 iron, I'd say just if really depends on your situation. 8 irons land pretty soft, while a soft 6 has a lower trajectory and run a fair amount on you usually. if troubles at that back I'd go with an 8, but in terms of using something like a soft 6 iron, i don't know when i'd use it unless i'd have the opportunity to run it up onto the green without anything in front. And it's way pretty darn easy to misfire on a 6 iron. your line might be good, but you distance control might be alittle off. At least for my own talentless self it is. I try niether to max out and club like deep woods said. Just make a nice full swing in balance. If you need to kill the ball to get it where yo uwant to, take an extra club.

Yun - Also a big fan of learning for free. If I can save some money from golf, i might be able to buy some food to eat if i'm lucky

Thread Information