100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar

Cable Boxes - HD PVR

Any advice about buying HD PVR boxes for Rogers Cable? That is, where? what? etc.

I hate renting everything.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Check futureshop as they usually have deals on them. Only thing I don't like about purchasing the box is if Rogers upgrades the box to something better, then you are stuck with an old version. AFter the 1 year if something goes wrong the its all you for repairs.... but I think you can purchase extended warranty through futureshop.
    Proud member of the 2012 OG vs TGN Ryder Cup winning team

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The Rogers box is currently going for $500 at Futureshop which is the equivalent of 20 months of rental time. When I first got my box (rented) from Rogers they were selling for $700 so renting was a much safer bet. I had one rental box die after about a year and the second is still going strong after 2+ years.

As far as obsolescence goes, Rogers gets their boxes from Cisco (who acquired Scientific Atlanta) and I have not heard of them testing any new boxes.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Any advice about buying HD PVR boxes for Rogers Cable? That is, where? what? etc.

I hate renting everything.
    Buying an HD PVR these days is probably not a great idea.

1) They are expensive (i.e.: $499 @ future shop http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0054019&catid=)

2) If they fail on you after a year (after the warranty expires), you are hosed. Where as if you are renting, you just go in and swap it for a new one. Personally I have been using the same HD-PVR for three years, with no problem, but a friend of mine is on his third Rogers HD-PVR in two or so years.

3) If you give them a call, you can most likely get them waive the rental fee for up to two years. Which is exactly what I did (savings of $25 x 24 = $600). You can buy a lot of stuff on Ottawa Golf with $600. btw: when you call (1-888-rogers-1), they only people you want to talk with are in the retentions department... so saying "cable" and "cancel services" should do the trick.

There is a large thread on this topic on www.redflagdeals.com.
    http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...ht=free+hd+pvr

* while you are on the phone with them, you might as well ask if they can lower your Internet cost as well. I think they gave me 20% off after I told them I was thinking about switching to teksavvy or 3web.

http://www.get3web.com/highspeed/hig...p?page=hsindex
    http://www.teksavvy.com/en/resdsl.asp?ID=7&mID=1

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post

3) If you give them a call, you can most likely get them waive the rental fee for up to two years. Which is exactly what I did (savings of $25 x 24 = $600). You can buy a lot of stuff on Ottawa Golf with $600. btw: when you call (1-888-rogers-1), they only people you want to talk with are in the retentions department... so saying "cable" and "cancel services" should do the trick.
    Lots of good advice here, thanks. I especially like the above. The last time we called 1-888-rogers1, we waited 3 hours on hold ...

I think cancel services is a good start.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I got both my HD PVR and my HD box free, plus 20% off my cable, internet, cel & Home phones. Just as an FYI.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OutOfTheRough View Post
    Check futureshop as they usually have deals on them. Only thing I don't like about purchasing the box is if Rogers upgrades the box to something better, then you are stuck with an old version. AFter the 1 year if something goes wrong the its all you for repairs.... but I think you can purchase extended warranty through futureshop.
    I just say no to Future Shop extended warranties. But I suppose for this sort of item it might make some sense to have a little extra insurance. Personally*, I would just purchase it using a credit card that doubles the warranty up to an extra year. Most no fee gold cards should do this (ex: TD Visa Gold), but I would call your card company just to make sure.

*if for some reason I was dead set on actually buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    I got both my HD PVR and my HD box free, plus 20% off my cable, internet, cel & Home phones. Just as an FYI.
    Care to share your methodology with the rest of us, please?

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Same as Maximus. I called and told them I was leaving and they counter offered with this; of course I wasn't leaving but they didn't know that right?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Just a little "headsup" fellas. Last week I had a problem with only Rogers Cable. My 90 year old mother was trying to have an extra outlet removed from her bill and was having problems dealing with the system.

I took over the problem and found out that she had been charged for the extra outlet since 1988------the problem here is that she never had an extra outlet.

I took the complaint all the way up to the Office Of The President and was told that they would only be responsible for 90 days worth of incorrect billing and it was buyer beware world. As well she was paying for an obsolete plan that everyone else pays 50% of what she was paying.

In the end the upshot of the story is that no matter what you buy/rent etc from Rogers--you can negotiate the prices just the same as if you were purchasing an automobile. The agents selling or renting for the company do this all the time---that's why there are so many decrepencies from one customer to the next.

I think it's time to go back to "rabbit ears"
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Putter pitremd is on a distinguished road

New Cisco Netbox from Rogers

I replaced my old Scientific Atlanta HD PVR with the new Cisco Netbox because it was starting to pixilate frequently . Piece of junk. Can't use it with my home theater because the sound keeps cutting out. My in-laws just got one and they are having sound problems as well. The Rogers guys at their stores will tell you they are having lots of problems. Same with the guys from Best Buy/Future Shop. Don't buy it! I've checked out some forums. Lots of problems. I'm trying to get one of the old boxes again.

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    I bought one recently off the shopping channel, but it's the older unit. Comes with a 2-year warranty: http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/Ro...s?nav=R:675339
    "Be happy, but never satisfied." – Bruce Lee

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Does anyone have expirience using an HD antenna? I'm considering it rather than paying for cable
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Rogers Next box is horrible. We went through six in a year.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Txxxxxxx View Post
    Rogers Next box is horrible. We went through six in a year.
    And way over-priced if you want to rent it. $26+tax/month whereas you can rent a Bell HD PVR for a mere $12+tax/month.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information