100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road

Firewood in Ottawa

Hey all, figured I'd ask here since it's about the only Ottawa-centric forum I visit.

The gal and I moved into our new (to us) house in Barrhaven at the end of June. The house has a wood burning fireplace. I'd like to use it a fair bit this winter to help heat the house. Plus, being an old Boy Scout, I dig the smell of a wood fire.

The question is, where is the best place to order firewood from? I've heard you can get cords from Shouldice Farms delivered.

Ideally, I'd like wood that's already split, though if i get whole wood I guess I could invest in a manual log splitter fro $100 from Crappy Tire (and get a work out)

Also, I'm probably getting late in the season, so I should order soon, eh?

I need to measure the space in my garage to see if I'm ok with a cord, or if I should just get a half cord! (or face cord)

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    wow.. a full cord for a fireplace in a house? a face cord might be more what you are looking for.

where is the fireplace realitive to the thermostat? you may find that running a fire all the time may keep the room you are in nice and warm but leave the furnace turned off so the bedrooms upstairs stay ice cold.

just a thought. As for getting wood in the city delivered by the cord? I have no idea. I know there's a guy on St. Laurent just north of wakley that sells firewood. Bit of a haul from Barrhaven however.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    a fireplace actually can draw more warmth up the chimney than it createsas as you have to leave the draft open long after the fire is producing any appreciable heat.They are great for ambience and if you can close off the room you might actually come out ahead. there are a few folks delivering wood, one of whom you mentioned
    FYI his wood is all ash or soft maple, not top of the line heat wood but fine for a quick fire. best case scenario a mix of sugar maple oak and beech would be my choice.
    Good luck there's tons of crap out there and they will tell you what you want to hear in order to sell it to you.
    Look at it this way if you pay $120-$150 a face cord (4ftx8ftx16in.) yielding numerous romantic evenings it is well worth the investment!
    Don't bother splitting your own wood if your planning to burn it this year.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    a fireplace actually can draw more warmth up the chimney than it createsas as you have to leave the draft open long after the fire is producing any appreciable heat.They are great for ambience and if you can close off the room you might actually come out ahead. there are a few folks delivering wood, one of whom you mentioned
    FYI his wood is all ash or soft maple, not top of the line heat wood but fine for a quick fire. best case scenario a mix of sugar maple oak and beech would be my choice.
    Good luck there's tons of crap out there and they will tell you what you want to hear in order to sell it to you.
    Look at it this way if you pay $120-$150 a face cord (4ftx8ftx16in.) yielding numerous romantic evenings it is well worth the investment!
    Don't bother splitting your own wood if your planning to burn it this year.

Romantic evenings you say.....hmmmm, I should look into getting a wood burning fireplace.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Romantic evenings you say.....hmmmm, I should look into getting a wood burning fireplace.
    careful, I did end up with 4 kids......

Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    wow.. a full cord for a fireplace in a house? a face cord might be more what you are looking for.

where is the fireplace realitive to the thermostat? you may find that running a fire all the time may keep the room you are in nice and warm but leave the furnace turned off so the bedrooms upstairs stay ice cold.

just a thought. As for getting wood in the city delivered by the cord? I have no idea. I know there's a guy on St. Laurent just north of wakley that sells firewood. Bit of a haul from Barrhaven however.
    Thanks for the advice, maybe a face cord would be good enough?

The fireplace is in the family room, off our kitchen. The thermostat is in our foyer, so it's a good jaunt away, maybe 40 feet. It might affect the temperature in the 'stat a bit, but I guess the only way to find out is to play it by ear!

I'll look into the guy off St. Laurent.......

As for romance, that's a side benefit! Maybe it'll get the lady to watch hockey with me on Saturdays now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
    Thanks for the advice, maybe a face cord would be good enough?

The fireplace is in the family room, off our kitchen. The thermostat is in our foyer, so it's a good jaunt away, maybe 40 feet. It might affect the temperature in the 'stat a bit, but I guess the only way to find out is to play it by ear!

I'll look into the guy off St. Laurent.......

As for romance, that's a side benefit! Maybe it'll get the lady to watch hockey with me on Saturdays now.
    A face cord is a lot of wood for a 'sometimes' fireplace its 4ftx8ftx16in - meaning one row of split wood thats 8ft long and stacked 4ft high... a CORD of wood also called a bush cord is 4ftx4ftx8ft... thats a big pile of wood to keep in the city.

my parents heat the cottage all winter with a wood stove and burn about 6 bush cord a winter
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

my parents heat the cottage all winter with a wood stove and burn about 6 bush cord a winter
    that must be some kind of monster wood stove to put that much wood thru it in one winter!

Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    that must be some kind of monster wood stove to put that much wood thru it in one winter!
    Burning season starts in octoberish and doesn't end until easter. They have an oil furnace as back up but burning wood is much cheaper.

Also my father seems to think that 86 is room temperature in the living room
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Golfer_Gofer
    I heat my home with wood also and trust me that is pryro territory

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I have bought from these guys for several years.
    Dry split hardwood.
    Several face cords each year for my wood stove.

Shouldice Farms, Richmond, ON
    613-838-4203

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    I have bought from these guys for several years.
    Dry split hardwood.
    Several face cords each year for my wood stove.

Shouldice Farms, Richmond, ON
    613-838-4203
    Thanks for the number. When do you usually get it delievered? And you go through more then one face cord? Does your stove heat your whole house?

I'm gonna organize my garage soon, and if I have room for a full cord, I may just get it anyway........ not sure!

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I keep my house at a fairly cool temperature (some guests have called it cold).

When I get home I use most of a blue re-cycle box of wood to keep the living area warm for the entire evening on weeknights. Some weekends I use a lot more if I am around.

I usually go through about 2 to 3 face cords each winter, which I get delivered in the fall. This is a lot of wood. I have a huge garage though.

Thread Information