CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

FT-5 shaft replacement

My bro-in-law has an FT-5 with a stock shaft and brought it to a reputable clubmaker in a store to have the shaft replaced with a Aldila By You Proto. He was suggested this shaft at a Callaway fitting. The club fitter told him that he could not remove the shaft as the heat to remove the shaft would melt the graphite head and that such a procedure could only been done at Callaway.

I was wondering if any experts on this forum would agree with this assessment? Would a heat gun at a low setting not work?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It can be done but you need to know what you are doing.

I believe the Chief has done some.

If it were my own club I would do it but I wouldn't want to do someone else's.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Thanks, i am reading some info on it on Golfwrx forum, I think the store will work something out for him.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    The procedure is to cut the shaft off at insertion point and heat up the insides via heating rod and remove or drill out the remaining shaft.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Thanks, would it help to heat up the drill bit to ensure the epoxy is all removed?
    Lefty Lucas

Pitching Wedge killer21 is on a distinguished road killer21's Avatar
    I just successfully removed an Ft-5 myself. You can cut the shaft and drill it out as discussed. To try to salvage the shaft you need to use the Hot Rod Method (they cost $20). The key is enough heat the hot rod, make sure it is red hot, insert it through the grip end for about 30 seconds at a time. It takes numerous insertions and patience to get it done, but it worked for me tonight. Key is a strong enough heat sorce - I used a standard size torch to heat the hot rod until it's red hot, not a micro or gun. Wait 10 seconds and then insert it for about 30 seconds at a time and crank slowly and gently. All the time protecting the seal between the carbon composite body and steel face with a wet papertowel rolled up.

This is kind of the coles notes version, but I had success tonight. In the past my heat source wasn't strong enough and I had to cut and drill. Messy but fine.

Their are detailed instructions on Golfsmith website on Pulling a callaway shaft.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Lefty Lucas

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    The hot rod inside the shaft will most likely ruin the shaft from the inside. So yes you can pull it successfully but it may not be int he same condition when you put it back in if you do. It can easily be pulled using the old method ,a good puller, a wet rag(or club shield) and a ping removal tool and minimal heat. . the original ferrule will most likely be scrapped and will need to be be replaced. Callaway wil void the warranty though if you pull it yourself.Other than that use the saint,s method. cut the shaft and drill it oul. No heat is required then just patience.
    Cheers
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I thnk that is what will be the case. The shaft could be sold as it will still be about 43" but obvioulsy playing a lot stiffer.
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information