100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Question Hypothetical Question.......

You come to a cross roads in your life and have to make a choice. Do you:

A) Continue as is being assured that you will be moderately happy with your decision for the rest of your life but knowing what lies ahead is what's keeping you from being completely happy

or

B) Change things up on a hunch/feeling you have that you could be truly happy for the rest of your life with your decision but you don't know what lies ahead?

Interested to hear people's thoughts on this one.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Dunno...I'll get back to you in three months when I'm back from Europe and I've made that decision.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I've generally chosen change (a new adventure, if you will) over maintaining the security the status quo. An analysis of the available information has always informed those critical decisions. Generally, though, no amount of analysis will necessarily guarantee which decision is the correct one to make. You sometimes have to take a leap of faith. It is for that reason that oftentimes my instincts have tilted the balance in one direction as opposed to another. A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is, at least for me, not a life lived to its fullest.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Most of us would like to say "change" but it really depends on your circumstances.
    As you get a little older the risk becomes greater as more things come into your life and things become more complicated.
    When i was younger the new adventures were what i lived for , but now the comfort zone is the easier choice ,although not always the correct one.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    It certainly can be very tough to make those choices.

It is hard for us to really advise given we don't really know what kind of a choice you are looking to make.

But in general, I would probably say go with your gut. Have fun, do what is exciting to you. You don't ever want to look back and say you didn't give it a try.

There is a song by Lee Ann Womak that brought me to tears the first time I heard, I drove my kids crazy playing it for them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTQfERb9HVk

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    WOW--very heavy question this early in the morning First--the older you get-the wiser you get but you still can't change what's in the future because you don't know whats in the future. You can only hope that you still have the ability to deal with the "now" The only problem I have is the way the "older generation" must learn to deal with the rapidly changing times so much quicker than generations in the past.

Supposedly we have matured to the point where this should be no problem but as Wilster says "the comfort zone is the easiest choice-but not always the right one"

To be quite honest---my comfort zone is the golf course---that's why I am there at least 4 times a week

Interesting question Geoff
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    B)... go for it.. a turtle never gets anywhere unless he sticks his head out

Do you want to always wonder what could have been???
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I don't think life is about big decisions, it's more about the accumulation of little ones. Look at how you've lived your life so far, what's important to you, what makes you happy.....The choice should be a lot clearer and probably less daunting.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I have pretty much always chosen option B.

Right now I would say that I have only had one of those decisions not go well, but as they say, hindsight is 20-20. When I look back at that particular decision now, had I gone the other way it's not 100% that I'd actually be better off than I am now since the situation changed radically 3-4 months later.

In essence, you can't control what the world throws at you so don't sweat it when (not if) things change.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

6 Iron Moose Head is on a distinguished road Moose Head's Avatar
    B, I chose B. I'm going through a divorce right now for pretty much those reasons. Why be comfortable for the rest of your life when you can be truly happy. Obviously it's a big risk but sometimes you just have to think of yourself first.

Whatever you choose, go with it 1005 and never regret, regret will eat you up and will do no good for you. Be commited to your decision and everything will work out in time.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    If "B" includes me buying a winning lottery ticket (I never buy lottery tickets), then using the winnings to travel the world golfing and enjoying beers from all over the world then I'll take "B".

If that isn't what B is then I'm probably the only guy who will take A, because I'm extremely lazy and change generally requires effort.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    As I always say "a beer in the hand is worth 2 in the fridge"
    Andrew

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    You come to a cross roads in your life and have to make a choice. Do you:

A) Continue as is being assured that you will be moderately happy with your decision for the rest of your life but knowing what lies ahead is what's keeping you from being completely happy

or

B) Change things up on a hunch/feeling you have that you could be truly happy for the rest of your life with your decision but you don't know what lies ahead?
    The fact is that you don't really know what lies ahead for choice A) either. The fact that you have positioned the two choices in this way says as much about you and which choice you want to be correct as it does about which choice actually is the correct choice for you. But don't kid yourself - nobody really knows what lies ahead for either choice.

Tough decision. Good luck, my friend.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I made a big move last year and switched jobs - from one I had been in for 11 years - where I was very comfortable though not completely happy and somewhat complacent. As someone who doesn't like change, it was a somewhat difficult decision as there was some risk involved, but ultimately an easy one since I did want a change and to learn something new. 9 months in, I am happy I made the change.

I think happiness is very important, though other factors play in as well.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    'B' I ALWAYS have and always will go with my gut feeling......

Good luck with the decision my friend....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    A lesson from my Dad before he passed away:

You rarely regret what you did - but almost always regret what you did not do.

Take the plunge.
    ________
    Ford Zeta Engine History
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    The fact is that you don't really know what lies ahead for choice A) either. The fact that you have positioned the two choices in this way says as much about you and which choice you want to be correct as it does about which choice actually is the correct choice for you. But don't kid yourself - nobody really knows what lies ahead for either choice.

Tough decision. Good luck, my friend.

A is basically a daily routine scenario, so I do have a pretty good idea of what lies ahead in that choice.

I appreciate all the replies. I know it's tough to give an answer with such a vague question, but lets just say that it could be life changing. Does that change anyone's opinion?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    B)... go for it.. a turtle never gets anywhere unless he sticks his head out

Do you want to always wonder what could have been???
    True, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence

A is basically a daily routine scenario, so I do have a pretty good idea of what lies ahead in that choice.

I appreciate all the replies. I know it's tough to give an answer with such a vague question, but lets just say that it could be life changing. Does that change anyone's opinion?

And I almost forgot to add, it could greatly affect the lives of others as well.

It depends on your definition of life changing.

If it's just job related, then that's pretty easy. Move on to the one you think will be better for you.

If it's something bigger (kids, etc.) then that's more complicated.

Seems like you're struggling. May as well take a load off, just lay it out and I'll decide for you. No need to thank me, I'm happy to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Seems like you're struggling. May as well take a load off, just lay it out and I'll decide for you. No need to thank me, I'm happy to do it.

I won't lie, I am struggling. But it's not something I can air out here. Thanks for the offer though.

I am quite intrigued that most say go for what makes you happy. I wonder if they knew what I was struggling with, if it would change their minds......

But what I was really trying to find out what, just how important is happiness to someone in their life. I know in the end, I have to ultimately make the decision and live with it's consequences, but is happiness more important, or is comfort/complacency and being somewhat happy more important.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    And I almost forgot to add, it could greatly affect the lives of others as well.
    you're gonna stop ho'ing clubs?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    you're gonna stop ho'ing clubs?

Now that's funny, and i don't care who you are.

I forgot to ask you about this when you picked up the clubs. My advice would be better than spacklers.

The big problem is that everyone defines their happiness differently.

Some people are happiest working their buns off at their careers and not having spare time to do anything else. Often at the expense of kids, families, etc. Others are the complete opposite.

Just remember, advice freely given can be ignored.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Not for me. From my experience there is no definitive right answer... or wrong answer.

What is right for one person is not right for another. Sometimes change is good, sometimes happiness is wanting what you've got instead of getting what you want. You try your best, and you'll find out later (sometimes much, much later) if your decision was the right one for you or not.

That being said, I do think your age is a factor. It is easier to learn and recover from your mistakes (and everybody makes them) when you're younger. What is important to you often changes as well - what is right for you at one time may not be right for you at another.

Whatever the question is, I don't think you can decide it by an informal poll. Its YOUR future, not ours.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    You do know that a vasectomy can be reversed, right Geoff? Haha just kidding buddy. You'll make the right call.
    Last edited by Sakuraba; 09-10-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: moustaches can also be shaved off
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I forgot to ask you about this when you picked up the clubs. My advice would be better than spacklers.
    That you forgot to ask only proves that you are uncaring and ill-suited as a 'decider'.

I think maybe we should add a poll to this thread. The selections would be:

A: Geoff's b
    B: Geoff's a
    C: let Spackler decide
    D: leave the club ho-ing to Chris at the risk of allowing him to assume a used club market monopoly
    E: all of the above.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I think a lot of the problem is that what we think we want now, isn't necessarily what we find we want and need in the future. So I think you have to live in the now. What is going to make you happy now? and in that quest for happiness, remembering to be the kind of person you want to be.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    That you forgot to ask only proves that you are uncaring and ill-suited as a 'decider'.

I think maybe we should add a poll to this thread. The selections would be:

A: Geoff's b
    B: Geoff's a
    C: let Spackler decide
    D: leave the club ho-ing to Chris at the risk of allowing him to assume a used club market monopoly
    E: all of the above.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Thread Information