100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar

Ball plugged in the grass wall of a bunker..

Say your playing a links style course and you ball is plugged in the face of a bunker (steep grass wall).. Do you get relief? and if so where? You wouldn't be able to drop on the wall as its straight down and say 5 feet high.. I wouldn't think you would drop into the bunker? Is the wall part of the hazard? If it is part of the hazard and you take an uplayable where is your relief?

Thanks..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the grass wall isn't part of the hazard since that is determined by the boundary of the sand.

So you'd take relief from the embedded lie and drop. If it rolls into the hazard you'd need to re-drop under 20-2.c.i. Assuming it rolls in again then you'd need to place it where it touched on the second drop.

If it won't stay put then you place it at the nearest spot not in a hazard and not nearer the hole under 20-3.d.i.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    These should cover it Lance. Since the grass bank is not part of the bunker, it is considered "through the green".

25-2/5 Ball Embedded in Grass Bank or Face of Bunker
    Q. Are grass banks or faces of bunkers considered to be “closely mown areas” under Rule 25-2 (Embedded Ball) and may relief be taken from them under that Rule?
    A. No, not unless they are cut to fairway height or less.

28/4 Ball Deemed Unplayable Through the Green Dropped in Hazard
    Q. A player’s ball lies through the green. The player deems the ball unplayable. In proceeding under Rule 28b or c, the player drops a ball in a hazard. Is this permissible?
    A. Yes.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginker View Post
    Say your playing a links style course and you ball is plugged in the face of a bunker (steep grass wall).. .
    As it is a links style course is the face actually living grass or riveted (ie stacked) turf where the grass is no longer growing? If the latter, it would be considered to be in the bunker.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    As it is a links style course is the face actually living grass or riveted (ie stacked) turf where the grass is no longer growing? If the latter, it would be considered to be in the bunker.
    Not necessarily...

33-8/39 Local Rule for Bunker Faces Consisting of Stacked Turf
    Q. The face of a bunker that consists of stacked turf may be grass-covered or earthen. May a Committee make a Local Rule deeming that such faces are not “closely mown areas” (Rule 25-2)?
    A. Yes.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Under R&A rules , unless the face is closely mown you would not get a free drop
    Unless a local rule , which I believe is always in play when playing under USGA rules ...which allows relief for a plugged ball thru the green "Im under R&A so might be wrong"

As said above , if free , you drop and if it rolls into the bunker you redrop , and then play of place if the ball rolls in again

If the dropped ball rolls back into the hole it was originally plugged in then your faced with no redrop "check that fact tho , Im only 99%"

If the grass is rough , and no free drop ...then an unplayable is an option ....probably 28b ....go back in a line as far as you wish keeping the ball and pin in line

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    Under R&A rules , unless the face is closely mown you would not get a free drop
    Unless a local rule , which I believe is always in play when playing under USGA rules ...which allows relief for a plugged ball thru the green "Im under R&A so might be wrong"
    The Local Rule you mention is not applied consistently through the R&A area.
    It is virtually standard in the USGA area,
    In the Europe it is virtually never used (except in the winter), patchily in A&NZ and very common in the monsoon areas of Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Not necessarily...

Bottom line is Lance, stop trying to hit driver off the deck with a 6-foot high bunker wall standing in front of you.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Ive seen the local rule used once in NZ .....but I dont get around as much as I used to lol

Thread Information