CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New club ideas

MattGrass

New club ideas

I am thinking of hitting GolfTown or the forums in the next couple of weeks for next season. I was wondering about some suggestions for clubs that others have felt were excellent. Obviously it will depend on the feel etc once I've had the chance to hit them.

I'm really looking for some suggestions to try once I am there. My budget is around $500 max so I'd like to find something in the store and then find em here over the winter.

I am currently playing MacGregor PMB Tour irons which I purchased here. They are shafted with S 300's. My hdcp index is 6.4 based on scores entered into www.stracka.com 's databse/system and I regularly shoot 77-81 depending on the tees and the day.

I guess Im looking to tinker and I sometimes think what if I hit a more forgiving set of irons. Currently my goal is to begin hitting the ball more often into the 20 foot range.
    I usually make my scores by grinding out two putt pars or up and downs from around the green. Id like to get it closer more often from 175yrds out or less. Wouldnt we all though.

My current yardages are approx. I rarely hit my 4 or 6 iron. Mental thing perhaps.

56*- 100/105
    52*-115/120
    PW-130/135
    9I- 140-150
    8I- 160
    7I- 170
    5I- 185
    3I- 210

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Talking

Seriously, buy big easy's MP60 heads and get them shafted with the shaft of your choice... I think I have a set of Project X HL 6.0 4-PW that I'll let go for $120. That would be a wicked combination.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I agree...there are too many great deals on here to go spend $1000 on irons at GT. For $500 you are limited to most sets at GT which would be around $450 + tax. The Saint will even put that set together for you for a good price and he does great work.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    You definitely need to get away from True Temper S-series shafts. I couldn't believe the difference in feel when you step up to a higher quality shaft like Project X, Rifle or Nippon

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    If I were to suggest an iron set, I don't play them but have used them and feel amazing are the Ping S-58's.

3 Wood petah is on a distinguished road
    GT is selling the Nike CCI forged irons for $450....i think that is a great deal. But i have never hit these before so i can't comment on their performance.....

MattGrass
    Anyone comment on a similar switch, from classic shape blades to a more forgiving type iron?

I am hoping to only have to make some basic tweaks in my game while still keeping the gains Ive made this year.

Played yesterday and a theme is developing. Hit the GIR, but 40-50 feet away. End up having to grind out tough two putts all day long.

Aaron

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    It sounds like your aproach shots seem to be the one you have most issues with ?
    Maybe a simple change in your more lofted clubs may be the solution.

Not everyone wants to have different makes of clubs in their bag , but perhaps you should get fitted for your irons , you may find your higher lofted clubs need to be adjusted for lie or loft.

As far as a club selection goes , you sound lke your a pretty competitant golfer and you should be playing some higher end forged cbs , I loved the Cally x-tours for the longest time (on liquidation at GT), and they can be had for a reasonable price now , otherwise the Titleist AP2 are a sweet looking club.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Are you either short/long or right/left? If you are 40-50ft short/long, then it is your distance control. And if that is the case, are you sure you are juddging your distances correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by MattGrass View Post
    Anyone comment on a similar switch, from classic shape blades to a more forgiving type iron?

I am hoping to only have to make some basic tweaks in my game while still keeping the gains Ive made this year.

Played yesterday and a theme is developing. Hit the GIR, but 40-50 feet away. End up having to grind out tough two putts all day long.

Aaron

MattGrass
    This year I have worked hard on my distances and when my game is on, I am usually within that 20ft sweet spot on the greens as long as I am hitting a 7i or better approach shot. Lately though I am leaving that type of shot outside this scoring area. There really isnt a pattern. Ive been short, left, right. Dont really go long.

Mainly it seems like these irons just require you to hit the ball really crisply in order to get it in tight and perhaps Ive fallen into a habit of trying to hit a softer, guided shot. Almost like Im trying to be too handsy, trying to guide the shot rather than just square up and hit it like it didnt matter.

I still enjoy these clubs, but the question is would I enjoy new to me clubs even more? I know there are other guys like this on this forum.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    This year I have worked hard on my distances and when my game is on, I am usually within that 20ft sweet spot on the greens as long as I am hitting a 7i or better approach shot. Lately though I am leaving that type of shot outside this scoring area. There really isnt a pattern. Ive been short, left, right. Dont really go long.

Mainly it seems like these irons just require you to hit the ball really crisply in order to get it in tight and perhaps Ive fallen into a habit of trying to hit a softer, guided shot. Almost like Im trying to be too handsy, trying to guide the shot rather than just square up and hit it like it didnt matter.

I still enjoy these clubs, but the question is would I enjoy new to me clubs even more? I know there are other guys like this on this forum.

Guilty!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

5 Wood PatS is on a distinguished road PatS's Avatar
    PING i5 w/ KB Tour shafts.

Par Samick is on a distinguished road

Aaron
    I made the switch this year from muscleback blades to a more forgiving iron. Taylormade r7 TP with KB Tours. Sooooo much easier to hit, better ball flight, misses go almost the same distance, and they are very accurate. I have increased my GIR by switching to these alone.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Seriously, buy big easy's MP60 heads and get them shafted with the shaft of your choice... I think I have a set of Project X HL 6.0 4-PW that I'll let go for $120. That would be a wicked combination.

I couldn't resist the temptation. I have these heads now shafted with the PX's and they are deadly accurate with excellent trajectory....and do they ever feel nice. ...They have replaced the X-Forged in my bag.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

MattGrass
    I am scouring the boards here for next years babies.....

Shhhhhh..... dont tell my wife though!

MattGrass
    Im curious about what you guys think my MacGreggor clubs might be worth if I sell em. What is a decent price to ask?

They are in decent shape, for their age. No major dings or dents. Grips are corded and could play another year well enough unless your really picky. Set comes with a 52* matching gap wedge. D300 shafts.

Any ideas? Anyone want some nice blades in trade?

Aaron

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Im curious about what you guys think my MacGreggor clubs might be worth if I sell em. What is a decent price to ask?
    Suggest trying a couple of sites like PGA Value Guide and/or Golf Bluebook. Note: US currency.

Dave

MattGrass
    Thanks,

Says $100

Bout what I thought.

MattGrass
    Bump to the top, still looking for a blade look but I want more forgiveness out of my mis.

Aaron

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    Hey dude,
    My handicap is a little higher then yours but last season was also a break through season for me and it happened using r7's from Taylor Made. I know you are looking for the blade look so these probably wont fit your style, but when I started hitting these Irons it made a world of difference. Seems like I am getting much better contact, the ball flight is predictable and with the loftier sticks (8-9-pw-gw) I can usually put it within the range that you are looking for. Give them a try, plus they can be had for pretty cheap right now

9 Iron gemballa2006 is on a distinguished road
    If you are still looking, have a look at teh Mizuno MX-200. They have more of a players look but with the forgiveness you are looking for.

5 Iron mysticalwarrior is on a distinguished road mysticalwarrior's Avatar

clubs

http://www.kyoeigolf.com/product/01.html

http://www.nakashimagolf.com/irons_np1.php

Check these out awsome and the vega wedges are the best I have ever used

Thread Information