100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

Do you believe in Karma??

This is one of the most weird things that I've ever heard of happening on a golf course.

Bart Bryant was docked two shots in a bizarre penalty that basically amounted to him opening his mouth.

Martin Laird tamped down his own pitch mark on the fringe of the 16th green during the second round, which he was not supposed to do because it was in the line of Bryant’s ball in the rough. The fact Bryant said, “Yes” when Laird asked if it was in his line meant Bryant was penalized because he allowed his line to be improved.
    Laird was not disqualified because it was not his intent to help Bryant, who chipped well over the mark.

Asked if he should have been penalized, Bryant said, “Yes, because I broke the rule.” He was more concerned that Laird, a rookie from Scotland who needs to finish this tournament to secure his PGA Tour card, was not disqualified.

It gets better because Bryant made an ace in the afternoon, on No. 13, four holes after learning he was assessed the penalty...........

Do you believe in Karma now

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The golf gods clearly owed him one.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 09-07-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Karma - NO.
    Coincidence - YES.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Karma - NO.
    Coincidence - YES.
    Killjoy.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Karma - NO.
    Coincidence - YES.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Didn't realize that we had so many Buddhist golfers here. Hallelujah!

Yesterday I was 3 down in a match after nine holes and 1 up after 14. Would you Buddhists call this Karma because the favourable events of the holes played on the back were "caused" by the unfavourable events of the front? Hmmm. I may call it something else.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Not acknowleging the wrath and graces of the golf gods is like saying "shank" on the course, or putting into an occupied hole... Your taunting them and you will pay.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    seriously BC... i have a feeling you are going to suck next round and shoot a 74
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Didn't realize that we had so many Buddhist golfers here. Hallelujah!

Yesterday I was 3 down in a match after nine holes and 1 up after 14. Would you Buddhists call this Karma because the favourable events of the holes played on the back were "caused" by the unfavourable events of the front? Hmmm. I may call it something else.
    Why would you bring up religion???

Always have to stir the pot eh?

Sad

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    wow
    Karma - NO.
    Coincidence - YES.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Why would you bring up religion???

Always have to stir the pot eh?

Sad
    Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Remember - it was person who made the first post that brought up KARMA. ("Do you believe in karma now?") Perhaps he was unaware that karma is part of Buddhist/religious philosophy. I wonder what group has the philosophy of when in doubt, when they don't understand or when they can't see another's tongue firmly planed in his cheek - throw stones?

Have a game scheduled for Tuesday but the forecast is for heavy rain. Bad karma, I guess?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    [quote=BC MIST;275118]Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Remember - it was person who made the first post that brought up KARMA. Perhaps he was unaware that karma is part of Buddhist/religious philosophy. I wonder what group has the philosophy of when in doubt, when they don't understand or when they can't see another's tongue firmly planed in his cheek - throw stones?

Have a game scheduled for Tuesday but the forecast is for heavy rain. Bad karma?[/quote] I think thats just bad weather

oops forgot the

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Remember - it was person who made the first post that brought up KARMA. Perhaps he was unaware that karma is part of Buddhist/religious philosophy. I wonder what group has the philosophy of when in doubt, when they don't understand or when they can't see another's tongue firmly planed in his cheek - throw stones?

Have a game scheduled for Tuesday but the forecast is for heavy rain. Bad karma?
    Thank you so much for the history lesson. But before you get down from you soap box you may want to also tell the students that the word Karma originated in ancient India and it is part of the Hindu, Jain, Sikh AND Buddhist philosophies.

I must really have a poor grasp of the English language because I'm not seeing how my use of the word Karma lead you to classifying some forum members as "Buddhist Golfers" But then again, you must like classifying things as I remember another post from you about "Blind Golfers"........personally we are all just "Golfers", but that's just me.

As for that other philosophy that you refer to, I'm not familiar with that. But what I DO know is that you can't turn this back on me.

I'd like to say that I'm feeling a deep sense of angst over this thread, but I fear that by using the word "angst" you'll accuse me of being a Nazi or something since it has a German origin.....

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I'm suprised this thread has gone on as long as it has. If the forum rules have been read, most will know that religion threads are a no-no. I know that wasn't the original intent, but it seems it has taken that dreaded turn. So we can end this one now.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information