CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shafts

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Shafts

I'm 18, and when i started playing about 5 years ago i bought irons with graphite shafts, as i needed the extra power. I now find that my iron shots are all pulling to the left, although i have always had a slice (and still do with my woods ). Is this a result of the shafts having too much whip?

Thanks
    Jon

Caddy PowerFade is on a distinguished road PowerFade's Avatar
    Jon, slices and pulls are caused by the same out-to-in motion. The slice has the clubface open and the pull has the clubface closed. I'd guess you pull with the shorter irons, are pretty straight with the mid and long irons and slice from possibly the 3 iron on up to the driver. It's very common.

Whippy shafts would cause either or both of these: too high, ballooning ballflight or hooks, where the ball starts out straight then curves dramatically to the left. With your long club slicing your pull is caused by the closed face.

Two suggestions: fix the out-to-in swingpath, and get fitted for clubs. A change of shafts won't fix this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    I'm 18, and when i started playing about 5 years ago i bought irons with graphite shafts, as i needed the extra power. I now find that my iron shots are all pulling to the left, although i have always had a slice (and still do with my woods ). Is this a result of the shafts having too much whip?

Thanks
    Jon

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf

Thanks
    Jon
    You started golf at 13 and now at 18 you are much stronger than previously, so it is possible that the shafts are too flexible, which may encourage a hook. However, because you pull your shots, the problem is as has been stated above, an outside path to the ball.

A contradiction? Graphites shafts provide extra power. It is the lightness of a graphite shaft which allows you to swing the same clubhead weight, faster.

Thread Information