100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge j-dog is on a distinguished road

Are my clubs outdated?? Will I notice a difference?

I've been playing golf for 2 seasons now and really enjoy it. I probably play 30 rounds a year, I'm going to be taking lessons for the second straight year come spring time. I usually shoot in the low 100's (Between 100 and 110),and sometimes break into the 90's and have shot a round of 87 once, but I don't expect it to happen again anytime soon.

I would consider myself a beginner at best.

I play with a group of guys that have been playing for over 10 years, and they all shoot in the high 70's low 80's. THey all have the latest and greatest equipment, and often suggest that I should upgrade my clubs to newer ones, as I will notice a big difference.

I'm not a wealthy guy, as I have just graduated university and started working, however, my job requires me to play a fair amount of golf (I'm a pharmaceutical sales rep)... I want to make sure that I'm not at a disadvantage.

I personally cannot see how new clubs would help somebody of my skill level. There are lots of people I know that shoot better scores than me with $150 sets of clubs.

Here are the clubs I'm currently using, which are 4th generation hand me downs from various members of my family.

Ping Eye 2 irons 2-sw
    Adams Tight Lies 16 degree fairway wood
    Ping Zing 2 Metal Driver
    SeeMore Putter (just bought this from Ebay, and looking forward to trying it out this year!!)

Any thoughts on this?? I have some money stashed away that I could use on a new set of clubs, but don't want to spend the cash if I'm not going to benefit from it anytime soon. If my current clubs are good enough for a few years, I would prefer to keep using them and buy a set when my student loans are paid off.

Thanks
    J-Dog

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Hey J.
    Your clubs are fine & your attitude/approach seems great too!! Unless you feel a really big need for job improvement (due to being a better golfer).
    Relax & enjoy those days outside. Since you seem to play with some decent(?) golfers, just watch them & learn by asking.

My two cents,
    Ciao

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I agree. Your clubs and your attitude are super. I play with a 16 year old set of irons and still get it around in the low to mid 70s. My advice, don't buy new clubs right now. Rather, invest a few dollars on two things. First, take a couple lessons from someone you can trust. Ask them to check your fundamentals. That alone should be a big help. Next, have one of the local reputable club makers check out your swing with the clubs you are using. They will be able to tell you if they are set up optimally for your swing.

Good luck and have fun.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    I think you are doing fine with what you have, no need to make a big investment at this point in my opinion. Maybe a lesson or two and take it from there, your current clubs are great. Practice and above all else, work on your short game, as most on this board will attest, most improvement comes from around the green and putting.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I would agree with all of the previous posts, although if I were to replace something I might want to check out a new driver. Pings are great clubs (as is the Adams Tight Lies), but the technology for drivers has really improved their performance over the past few years. Ebay is a good place to get one at a reasonable price, as is this forum. But if I had to pick between more lessons and a new driver, I'd still pick the lessons.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I wouldn't even think of replacing those Eye2s... they are arguably the best irons ever made.
    If you were going to spend money look at driver and fairway woods. You could pick up a very inexpensive used Titanium driver and used fairway woods that are much better than what you have. For example, Titleist 975Ds or Callaway Great Big Berthas are almost free these days and would be worlds ahead of the Zing2.

Caddy PowerFade is on a distinguished road PowerFade's Avatar
    J-Dog, everyone who replied to you is right on!

Eye-2s are excellent clubs. Not the most forgiving, but I personally don't think shovels are the way to go, especially if you want to improve your game.

The Zing driver was never well received and is known for well below average performance. Any of the top name-brand drivers of the past 4 years would be an improvement, and any in the last year would be a large jump. Check ebay and ask here for recommendations if you want to upgrade.

Lessons are good, but only if you find the right teacher. I've heard of and experienced too many horror stories of games gone south because of lessons (and see one of the recent Golf Digest's on this issue). Definitely get those fundamentals down: grip, stance, ball position, etc., and keep a close eye on them as you improve.

Have fun, and really, don't give up those Eye-2s!

Thanks for the input.

Funny enough, the Ping Zing 2 Driver is the club in my bag that I feel most confident with. The head is a bit smaller than the new drivers, and it's made of steel instead of titanium, but I seem to be able to really crank it when I tee off with it.

I seem to have a bit of a difficult time hitting the Adams 16* wood, so I may replace that.

I'm definatly going to keep the irons as they seem to be quite popular on this board.

Thanks again,
    J-dog

Lob Wedge MITCH is on a distinguished road

Winter Golf School

I would suggest joining a winter golf program. A couple of Spring lessons is a good idea, but a winter of lesons and video taping will improve your game for sure. There are several good schools that offer winter packages. The Pineview golf course in my opinion is one of the best and very reasonable. Approximately $275.00 f or 4 months, open 7 days a week, includes unlimited hitting, instructions and video. Good luck!!!

Of course if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Keep the Zing if it works for you. Your difficulty with the Adams may be the shaft (what shafts do yo have in your woods?) or simply the very low profile of the head. It's very easy to get under the ball and hit it too high or pop it up, especially from fluffy lies.

Quote Originally Posted by j-dog
    Thanks for the input.

Funny enough, the Ping Zing 2 Driver is the club in my bag that I feel most confident with. The head is a bit smaller than the new drivers, and it's made of steel instead of titanium, but I seem to be able to really crank it when I tee off with it.

I seem to have a bit of a difficult time hitting the Adams 16* wood, so I may replace that.

I'm definatly going to keep the irons as they seem to be quite popular on this board.

Thanks again,
    J-dog

My Adams wood has a stiff graphite shaft (which is also what I have in my ping driver). I'm not sure how to determine what types of shafts I need, but I'm a fairly well built strong guy, and I have been told that I have a fast swing speed, if that means anything.

I find that I have problems hitting the adams when the ball is in the rough or anything taller than fairway grass. According to the Adams website, this club is supposed to be ideal for hitting out of the rough, so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I only have this one Adams wood in my bag, I don't have a 3 or 5 wood, as I have been told that this Tight Lies wood is like a 4 wood, and should technically replace the 3 and 5.

Which stiff graphite shafts do you have in these clubs? Are they the stock offerings from the manufacturer or upgrades? How do you hit your driver--pretty straight, one way more than the other, or all over the place? (All over the place or to the left, if you're a righty, could indicate that your shafts are too soft.)

The Tight Lies is best for just that: tight lies in the fairway or on hardpan. It has a very shallow face and is meant to pick balls up and get them in the air. If the ball is sitting up at all in the grass, it becomes very difficult to hit it square. So it could be the clubhead, and it could also be that you are hitting down on the ball too much (instead of sweeping it). That could be something you could fix.

Best out of the rough, especially with someone who hits down on the ball with their woods is a hybrid iron-wood like the Adams i-wood, Taylor Made Mid Rescue (a bit shallow), PRGR 200i, 020i, 040i (which I play) and 050i, and also the Hogan hybrid that just came out--I've heard some very good things about this one especially for the relatively low price. There are other good ones from Tour Edge, Cobra, Kasco, etc. You might want to look into these, or go for a deeper-faced fairway wood.

Of course, the best thing is to get a professional fitting. There's a thread (Clubmaker, "RE-Fitting") on this right now, and there should be some recommendations on where to go in Ottawa for a good dynamic fitting. Just a thought.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Pings

J-Dog. The Pings are atill in demand.http://www.ottawagolf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3094
    If anything I would have the lies checked and see if the shafts are too stiff for you. Ping shafts have been known to be on the stiff side.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    keep the clubs if you like them, old clubs won't hold you back. I am a scratch player and my clubs are from 2001. Like has been said many times, if it works, stick with it. Those are great irons

Driver Brent4Hire is on a distinguished road

Adams Tight Lies

Everyone is right on the money, IMHO. The lessons work wonders. As a relative beginner myself I can attest to the fact that a lesson or two and a proper fitting are the way to go. I would look for a driver, but that's me. The Adams, on the other hand, I would definitely replace. I tried a Tight Lies 5 wood for half a summer and honestly could not make one shot with it. I replaced it with a Jazz unassumed risk 4 wood and the difference was unbelievable...it just set up better for me I guess.

Good luck...I don't think you need it since you have a job that demands that you play golf...I have a golf habit that demands that I go to my job...want to trade???
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, ya might as well dance.

Thread Information