100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Speak English, says LPGA

The LPGA Tour boasts players from all over the world, and it wants all of them to be able to speak English.

More...

6 Iron McG is on a distinguished road
    There is no doubt that we'll have hundreds or thousands of politically correct idiots calling the LPGA racist over this one.

The LPGA is selling a product. That product is the golfers. To sell a golfer, they have to be able to communicate to the buyer which is the public.

This is a business move done solely to keep the LPGA alive. Nothing more.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    If the best golfer was mute what kind of policy would they adopt? Sign language?It is a game and most replies from tour players are clichés anyway. When a north american golfer joins theAasian tour is he forced to learn korean?. I watch golf to see the best players in the world perform under pressure not to listen to what they have to say.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    If the best golfer was mute what kind of policy would they adopt? Sign language?It is a game and most replies from tour players are clichés anyway. When a north american golfer joins theAasian tour is he forced to learn korean?. I watch golf to see the best players in the world perform under pressure not to listen to what they have to say.
    Comparing someone with a disability to someone who is fully capable of learning a language is a pretty pathetic way to make a point.

The LPGA is taking steps that it believes will ensure it's future. They are not asking the Koreans to have plastic surgery to look like us. They are asking them to speak another language that will benefit both the tour and the golfer.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McG View Post
    There is no doubt that we'll have hundreds or thousands of politically correct idiots calling the LPGA racist over this one.

The LPGA is selling a product. That product is the golfers. To sell a golfer, they have to be able to communicate to the buyer which is the public.

This is a business move done solely to keep the LPGA alive. Nothing more.
    What a completely BS post. Of course it's discrimination. US law says it is.

To sell a golfer, the golfer needs to put up the lowest number possible.

This is a control move to try and limit foreign content on the LPGA Tour. They're getting their asses handed to them by the South Koreans on a regular basis and they don't like it, so instead of focusing their energy on developing some more decent home-grown talent, they're trying to illegally tilt the playing field.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post

This is a control move to try and limit foreign content on the LPGA Tour. They're getting their asses handed to them by the South Koreans on a regular basis and they don't like it, so instead of focusing their energy on developing some more decent home-grown talent, they're trying to illegally tilt the playing field.
    Give me a break LobWedge. You're blowing this way out of proportion for no reason at all.

All of those great Korean golfers will learn to speak English and remain on tour. And they'll start getting endorsement deals because they can appear in commercials and communicate with us.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post

LobWedge, the LPGA Tour is not in the business of waving the American flag. Their best player over the last ten years was a Swede, now it's a Mexican. The LPGA does not "develop" any players through sponsorships or investments.

You are blowing this so far out of proportion it's not funny. And you are WRONG on this one. You let on like you know more about this issue than other posters...

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    politically correct idiots -- so if you are politically correct you are an idiot -- wow!!

They are asking them to speak another language that will benefit both the tour and the golfer.

That is what the Tour says but do you actually believe that the golfer need to learn english. Samsung for example has paid her $10 millions + in the last 10 years even though she didn't speak english... bad girl.The top golfer all make more $$$ off the tour ... maybe the LPGA should ask for a cut of their revenue. There is life and lots of $$ in non-speaking english country... I think the LPGA should be looking somewhere else to promote and improve their product. I think they are looking at the PGA and think they should follow their lead. It is a women sport and will sadly never be as popular. Why not play at different venues. Look how popular it was in Canada... What about some tourneys in Korea, Brasil, etc...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McG View Post
    Comparing someone with a disability to someone who is fully capable of learning a language is a pretty pathetic way to make a point.

The LPGA is taking steps that it believes will ensure it's future. They are not asking the Koreans to have plastic surgery to look like us. They are asking them to speak another language that will benefit both the tour and the golfer.
    If they don't learn the language and lose endorsements because of it it is their loss. You can't force anyone to learn a language if they do not wan't to. Are you watching the LPGA because of golf skills or beacuse of the language that is spoken out there.If you do not agree with me please do not give me that pathetic bs to win your argument.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    LobWedge, the LPGA Tour is not in the business of waving the American flag.
    Really?

"We're more of an international tour now, but we're an American-based tour..." - LPGA deputy commissioner Libba Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    You are blowing this so far out of proportion it's not funny. And you are WRONG on this one. You let on like you know more about this issue than other posters...
    Well then I guess the ACLU already wading into the debate blows it even more out of proportion then?

BTW - It helps being married to a constitutional scholar.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    politically correct idiots -- so if you are politically correct you are an idiot -- wow!!
    Good job cutting that sentence to make it work like you want.

I am against discrimination based on race and color. But when someone is asked to do something like learn basic english that will benefit them and their employer and then we having people jumping over the LPGA screaming racist then we have taken political correctness too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    If they don't learn the language and lose endorsements because of it it is their loss. You can't force anyone to learn a language if they do not wan't to. Are you watching the LPGA because of golf skills or beacuse of the language that is spoken out there.If you do not agree with me please do not give me that pathetic bs to win your argument.
    You and I watch golf because we want to see great golf. I personally could care less if the LPGA was all foreign and could not speak a word of english.

However, unlike you, I am able to step back and see that the LPGA is trying to ensure it's survival by being able to promote it's players.

When the LPGA decides that you must be white and speak english then I'll agree with you. Until then, sorry.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    OK, I've thought about a ---gulp---compromise.

To all players who cannot pass the oral English test by the end of the 2009 season, they will have to enroll in English classes put on by the Tour.

No suspensions, no taking away of playing priveleges...but to those who continue to do poorly on the tests? I haven't come up with that yet...

Thread Information