CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The LPGA policy is in no way similar to the language laws in Quebec. Quebec is attempting to maintain its cultural integrity, which is rooted in the French language. Unless the LPGA is arguing that the Korean players threaten the cultural integrity of the "American tour," which they are not doing, then their linguistic policy can, and should be, judged on a different basis.

Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    Curious, do you feel as strongly about the language situation in Quebec?

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    English on the LPGA tour is a totally different issue than the language laws in Quebec IMO and to go much further down that road will probably lead us to the type of political discussion that is not allowed in the forums.....

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    Quebec is attempting to maintain its cultural integrity, which is rooted in the French language.
    Interesting rationalization

English on the LPGA tour is a totally different issue than the language laws in Quebec IMO and to go much further down that road will probably lead us to the type of political discussion that is not allowed in the forums.....
    Different because? not trying to get political here just curious if you feel same standards should apply to all institutions /gov'ts/organizations
    (And there has been a fair bit of US targeted bashing here if we really want to be careful of the political undertones)

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Come on guys. The language law in Quebec, bill 101, specifically refers to the language of signage, not the language of the workplace. It was found to be unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, so don't use it as an example of the 'legality' of the LPGA language restriction because, if anything, it is an example of how it may not be legal. It stands only because the province invoked the notwithstanding clause, but it was deemed an unfair abrogation of both freedom of expression, and equality rights.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The only rationalization here is the failure to see the difference between the two situations. As for US targeted bashing, I have done no such thing. What I and many others have reacted to is the heavy-handed manner in which the Tour's leaders have tried to "persuaded" a significant percentage of their membership to learn English, something which I am sure they could have been encouraged to do without the threat of banishment. It's really quite amazing that they did not foresee that handled poorly (as has unquestionably been done) this would turn into a nightmare for them, which it has. And still no sign of the commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by rancherJ View Post
    Interesting rationalization

Different because? not trying to get political here just curious if you feel same standards should apply to all institutions /gov'ts/organizations
    (And there has been a fair bit of US targeted bashing here if we really want to be careful of the political undertones)

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I think the bottom line is on this matter is this. We have no say in how the LPGA runs their tour.

Personally if I had paid money to play in a LPGA Pro Am I would prefer to be able to at least chat with my Asian playing partner. I do not think it is too much to ask of any member to be able to speak some English. This would be a benefit for not only the Tour but the players. Being able to speak with potential sponsors etc can only benefit a foreign player who is residing in the US.

I doubt the LPGA wants their foreign members to have a complete command of the English Language.

Heck George Bush does not have complete command of the English Language

Some of the spelling on this site reveals the same issue

Thread Information