CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

English Mandatory on the LPGA

This new rule could have some interesting ramifications if someone wishes to challenge it.

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=247...headlines_main
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    This new rule could have some interesting ramifications if someone wishes to challenge it.

http://www.tsn.ca/golf/story/?id=247...headlines_main
    I'm not saying that I'm for it or against it, but I'm wondering how you could challenge it I would think that the LPGA is free to create and enforce its own "rules". If an individual decides that they don't like the rules, they can choose NOT to play on that tour

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Or they can make a major stink about it.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I'm not saying that I'm for it or against it, but I'm wondering how you could challenge it I would think that the LPGA is free to create and enforce its own "rules". If an individual decides that they don't like the rules, they can choose NOT to play on that tour
    I can easily see a (U.S.) constitutional challenge. The ACLU will be all over this. I'm not saying they'll win, but you can bet they'll try.

BTW - Ms. Peters is wrong. The Tour may be headquartered in the U.S., but it is an international tour with events held in many countries.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Man, the more I think about this, the more angry I get.
    Reading between the lines you get the impression that Tour brass are ** off about so many non-Americans (read Asians) doing so well that they figure they need a way to put the screws to them. Shameful.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Man, the more I think about this, the more angry I get.
    Reading between the lines you get the impression that Tour brass are ** off about so many non-Americans (read Asians) doing so well that they figure they need a way to put the screws to them. Shameful.
    Interesting......I'm seeing it as the sponsors of the tournies are getting annoyed that they can't use the Champions as spokeswomen for their services/products because they don't speak English. I'm sure that if the Asians could speak English it wouldn't be an issue. I really see this as a language thing as opposed to an ethnicity issue

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I seem to recall that the PGA Tour was forced to make accommodations for a golfer with a disability, so they do not have carte blanche in this area. I'm sure it will be challenged as a form of discrimination under the US Constitution and/or various US labour laws. I'm sure if the NHL, NBA or MLB tried to bring in such a rule there would a MAJOR stink about it...

Interesting......I'm seeing it as the sponsors of the tournies are getting annoyed that they can't use the Champions as spokeswomen for their services/products because they don't speak English. I'm sure that if the Asians could speak English it wouldn't be an issue. I really see this as a language thing as opposed to an ethnicity issue
    Either way, it stinks.

Either way, it stinks.
    Such is life in large companies, associations and even countries......the reality is that you can't please everyone all of the time.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The US players who occasionally visit Japan to play for very big dollars should have to pass a proficiency test in Japanese.

Check out the LPGA schedule....the vast majority of official events are in Engkish speaking countries

Such is life in large companies, associations and even countries......the reality is that you can't please everyone all of the time.
    Language discrimination is often just another form of ethnic discrimination, and it stinks no matter who's doing it. Its not a question of pleasing people - it is a question of justifying why such a language requirement is necessary.

I would think as Canadians we would be even more sensitive to this issue. Personally I'm not very impressed with the LPGA's heavy-handed approach to it, and I suspect it is going to backfire on them BIG TIME.

Check out the LPGA schedule....the vast majority of official events are in Engkish speaking countries
    And...?

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Language discrimination is often just another form of ethnic discrimination, and it stinks no matter who's doing it. Its not a question of pleasing people - it is a question of justifying why such a language requirement is necessary.

I would think as Canadians we would be even more sensitive to this issue. Personally I'm not very impressed with the LPGA's heavy-handed approach to it, and I suspect it is going to backfire on them BIG TIME.
    I agree 100% that they are taking a heavy-handed approach, but I stop well short of thinking that this is a form of discrimination be it ethnic or linguistic.

The facts seem to be that the tour is experiencing money issues and they are losing sponsors....they are taking steps to help stop the bleeding.

Don't forget that they are only talking about an "oral evaluation of English skills" Public servants in Canada have similar "rules" in place for a large number of Public Service jobs and I'm sure that the standards that the public servants are required to meet are much higher.

Great debate though.......

Players who don't speak English just are not marketable in North America. This is a problem for the LPGA it seems.

This will likely be hotly contested. I expect it will be fought on the front of racism, when it's really about $ponsors wanting $poke$eople who $peak engli$h. They won't stick around for the outcome if this gets ugly. They will depart for less controversial waters and take their money with them. Since the move is to keep the sponsors happy, this could be one big backfire in the making.

This is a horrible policy that I expect will ultimately hurt the LPGA, just when they seemed to be getting a bit more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Players who don't speak English just are not marketable in North America. $ponsors wanting $poke$eople who $peak engli$h.
    I think you've captured it perfectly there

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Players who don't speak English just are not marketable in North America. This is a problem for the LPGA it seems.

This will likely be hotly contested. I expect it will be fought on the front of racism, when it's really about $ponsors wanting $poke$eople who $peak engli$h. They won't stick around for the outcome if this gets ugly. They will depart for less controversial waters and take their money with them. Since the move is to keep the sponsors happy, this could be one big backfire in the making.

This is a horrible policy that I expect will ultimately hurt the LPGA, just when they seemed to be getting a bit more attention.
    Bob Weeks has a blurb in his blog on Scoregolf.com, and I think he puts it perfectly: "It's a strong move."

The LPGA has struggled to create a name for itself in the marketplace, and now you have arguably the greatest player in its history, and a very marketable one at that, set for retirement. As everyone is saying, this is about sponsorship dollars, no question.

IS THERE ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT?

The LPGA is a business, and thus has the right to run its business as it sees fit. If you started a company that did the majority of its business in the US, would you hire someone who couldn't speak English as your media spokesperson?

Step outside the sickening bubble of PC that envelops Canada, and realize that this is the type of thing that society needs. You want something? Go get it, but don't say you have a RIGHT to it simply because you exist.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Bob Weeks has a blurb in his blog on Scoregolf.com, and I think he puts it perfectly: "It's a strong move."

The LPGA has struggled to create a name for itself in the marketplace, and now you have arguably the greatest player in its history, and a very marketable one at that, set for retirement. As everyone is saying, this is about sponsorship dollars, no question.

The LPGA is a business, and thus has the right to run its business as it sees fit. If you started a company that did the majority of its business in the US, would you hire someone who couldn't speak English as your media spokesperson?

Step outside the sickening bubble of PC that envelops Canada, and realize that this is the type of thing that society needs. You want something? Go get it, but don't say you have a RIGHT to it simply because you exist.
    A. Weekes is a tool, and always has been.
    B. There's a difference between "strong business sense" and trampling on someone's basic human rights.

BillD
    Since when is playing being priveledged and talented enough to play on the LPGA Tour a "basic human right" ?

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    B. There's a difference between "strong business sense" and trampling on someone's basic human rights.
    Playing golf on the LPGA Tour is a basic human right now? Where do I sign up!

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    Since when is playing being priveledged and talented enough to play on the LPGA Tour a "basic human right" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Playing golf on the LPGA Tour is a basic human right now? Where do I sign up!
    HELLO! English only, remember? It's got nothing to do with playing ability.

BillD
    At the risk of being politically incorrect (Of which I am not worried in the least) I for one have no interest in watching the korean automotons play Golf or win Tournaments. Their culture dictates that they remain demure, understated and not show any type of a boastful character. They certainly adhere to this if you ever watch their victory speeches with their one word answers. Sure, let them play if they cannot speak English but they are not the most interesting individuals in the world to watch. Sponsors and the LPGA have recognized this.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    As everyone is saying, this is about sponsorship dollars, no question.
    Definitely not, but the more appropriate move would have been to offer free English language training to any player that wished to partake. This is going to be a PR disaster for the LPGA.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by BillD View Post
    At the risk of being politically incorrect (Of which I am not worried in the least) I for one have no interest in watching the korean automotons play Golf or win Tournaments. Their culture dictates that they remain demure, understated and not show any type of a boastful character. They certainly adhere to this if you ever watch their victory speeches with their one word answers. Sure, let them play if they cannot speak English but they are not the most interesting individuals in the world to watch. Sponsors and the LPGA have recognized this.
    That's what your remote is for. No one is forcing you to watch. You have complete freedom to change to whatever channel you want, or hit the "off" button, and don't watch at all. That is your right.

Don't forget that they are only talking about an "oral evaluation of English skills" Public servants in Canada have similar "rules" in place for a large number of Public Service jobs and I'm sure that the standards that the public servants are required to meet are much higher.

Great debate though.......
    Don't even get me started on language discrimination in the Public Service...

...and I fully understand why the LPGA and its sponsors would prefer that their players speak English, and should support and encourage players to learn it. But when it becomes a requirement that will directly impact the player's ability to earn a living, then it becomes a labour issue and a human rights issue.

Plus I think there is a bigger picture that the LPGA should consider. Ultimately the LPGA is a sports league that supposedly features the top female players in the world. How can they continue to claim that when certain players are excluded not because of their ability but because of their language? What happens if other sports leagues like hockey, baseball, basketball or soccer were to bring in similar requirements?

Come to think of it, there are some Americans in the NFL and NBA who could fail an "oral evaluation of their English skills"!! Wouldn't that be interesting!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    That's what your remote is for. No one is forcing you to watch. You have complete freedom to change to whatever channel you want, or hit the "off" button, and don't watch at all. That is your right.
    Nobody is forcing the ladies to play on the LPGA Tour. They have complete freedom to play on any other tour or not play at all.

BTW: I'm not picking on you LobWedge... just in a bit of a scrappy mood!

It's the strongest pro tour for the women. If they qualify on their skills and talent they should be allowed to play, as they have been until now. It might be appropriate to help them learn English to enhance their marketability to sponsors, but that should be enough.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    what's the big deal? Your employer has the right to insist that you can speak english (or french or whatever other language). Why should it be any different for the LPGA. There is no such thing as discrimination based on ability. If you are unABLE to speak English, and your employer insists that you do so, you may learn the language. It's really as simple as that.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Here's a funny, if biting, retort to the LPGA policy: http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the...a_intelligente

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Nobody is forcing the ladies to play on the LPGA Tour. They have complete freedom to play on any other tour or not play at all.
    The "you can always go work somewhere else" argument has been discredited a long, long time ago. If a player challenges this in court, the LPGA will likely have to show that a proficiency in English is necessary and/or reasonable or they will lose.

Thread Information