100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stack and tilt

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I also have the videos and they definitely tell you to be less forward with the big stick. The S&T promotes a downward strike which is not great for the driver. It could cause very high spin rates which are not desireable for that club. If I recall right they said if you were less forward then the club would shallow out more. I am not there yet so I cannot say for sure.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Putter jwdspace is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for posting on this method, I'm going to give it a bit more research and see if it helps my game.

beaudoin
    I do not know much of the S&T except the commercial about it...featuring some PGA players. One thing that came to my mind watching the S&T is the danger to reverse pivot...ie shifting your weight on the wrong foot...to the left side on the backswing and the right side on the downswing.

Most people said it was working good on the short to middle irons...that would confirm my fear of reverse pivoting as with the short irons, the weight shift does not have to be important...so the S&T would do the job by promoting a downward and more accurate impact position...as there is little lateral movement on the upper body.

I remember M. Weir going in a very tough stretch one year or more ago...as I was watching him on TV...I was noticing that he was doing a reverse pivot...that means short and crooked!...but I belive he realize that and improve tremendously since then.

Pitching Wedge Crackberry is on a distinguished road

S&t

The Stack and Tilt method is not a new concept. Players from the 70s and 80s used this method to hit a variety of shots - like short iron shots.

There is a big difference between a reverse pivot and a front foot loaded swing.

beaudoin
    As I said...I do not say that S&T creates a reverse pivot...but there is a definite danger, especially with the longer clubs. There is no doubt that if some PGA pros use this method, it must produce good results. However, as you do not produce lateral movement, especially with the upper torso, there is a definite risk of reverse pivoting.

For the short irons, there is no doubt that promoting a downward blow to the ball is an advantage as it reduces errors.

7 Iron mikec222 is on a distinguished road
    I agree with people saying it is not a reverse pivot, leaning forward creates what would be half of the reverse pivot. Without leaning to the back foot it's not a reverse pivot. I'm not so convinced about this swing, it doesn't even look like the pga players who use it actually do what the founders say. It looks like they have some kind of of hybrid swing.

For you guys that are looking for someone to teach it, there is a pro in ontario (forget where) that has a swing similair to the stack and tilt and teaches this method. His version is is better for the driver though (he played in the Pga canadian open and was top 5 in driving distance!!) He is an amazing player.

His name escapes me though, i'll ask my boss tommorrow he's friends with him.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Mike, let us know where this guy is, Ontario is a big place, did you mean Ottawa. I was told by an SnT teacher in TO that there is one fellow in Peterborough but that is still too far.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

BC, what do you think of Mark Evershed's method and do you recommend a training aid in particular or some of his videos?
    Lefty Lucas

7 Iron mikec222 is on a distinguished road
    the pro i mentioned earlier is the head pro at Magna. Not sure where that is in Ontario

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Magna Golf & CC is in Aurora
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Very private, very classy, very expensive, very not close, very not get lessons from that Pro
    Lefty Lucas

Bob has an in

Indio could easily play there, doors will open when they see him drop off that spiffy new staff bag. Plus they have probably seen him around town, that's Bob's house on the right. Nice view
    Attached Images
    Lefty Lucas

Lob Wedge Tourstriker is on a distinguished road Tourstriker's Avatar
    Danny King is the HP at Magna, north of TO in Aurora. He's an excellent play and teacher. I recommend anyone see him for a lesson. Besides he's a great guy too.

A consistant LOW POINT is crucial to any swing and the S&T move can help matters IF you have educated hands. If you don't all the stacking and tilting won't help you one bit.

99% of the reason for a reverse pivot is due to CASTING. Casting is caused by not understanding how the tool works and thinking the bottom of the swing is at the golf ball. If you don't "throw it away" and try and scoop the ball, it's impossible to have a reverse pivot.

Understand low point and how to use the tool and there isn't that much more to it.

Clampett's book, Impact Zone, is a good read and will educate most on lag pressure and low point.

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    search for nick clearwater on youtube. some good info there to help people actually understand the swing. orrgolf.com is also useful.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Started using this method last couple of years and found a real improvement with my irons and woods/hybrids. I totally lost the ability to hit Driver anymore, though. I've gone through three trying to get it back.

The driver was so bad that on a business/golf trip last November (At Champion's Gate, Orlando) I didn't even bring my driver. No fear, however, as I was hitting my TM #2 Hubrid consistantly straight (220-240)

Don't know if I will ever bring my driver golfing again. I am getting used to having three wedges.
    Wow!

Played yesterday at Greensmere and just gripped futher down on my old 420 R7 Driver, put the ball a little closer to me to and...

On the 2nd hole (Black) I hit it to 40 Yard from the hole. (340 yds total) It helped that the fairway had much winter kill for the long roll down the hill but it was still a good hit, straight, no slice slight draw.

I also nailed my first Eagle on the 475yd par 5, 6th (White). A Great drive 265 followed by a 200 yd hybrid hit to the front on the green. Unfortunately Flag was at the back - but the very long putt went right in the middle of the cup!

Too bad my chipping was less than stellar as I didn't score well but the driver is giving me confidence and the chipping will come around.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Did anyone else see this in ontgolf.ca?
    I think with any method it's more important to incorporate what works for you from a "method" rather than being a slave to technique.
    According to a well-placed source I spoke with today, Mike Weir, once the face of the “stack and tilt” instruction method, has split with Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett after working with the teachers since 2006. Under Plummer and Bennett, Weir returned to steady play after two difficult years, beat Tiger Woods in 2007 at the Presidents Cup and won again on the PGA Tour. Last year he won nearly $3-million.
    According to sources, the split with Bennett and Plummer is amicable, and Weir had said last year that he was only using elements of stack and tilt. The split was confirmed by Weir’s agents, IMG. The golfer has an elabortate facility in his Utah home, including a video system used for swing analysis. I’ve regularly heard that Plummer and Bennett are all or nothing type instructors; in other words, either you drink the kool-aid, or you’re not part of the plan. Recently Aaron Baddeley, the other stack and tilt star, also stopped using the instructors.

Thread Information