CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Question Designated Drop Zones

No rules officials please, at least until we have a couple of answers. Thanks.

A course has a number of "drop zones" set up on specific holes, for relief from shots that are known or virtually certain to have entered the water hazards on those holes. The scorecard mentions these drop zones in the Local Rules.

Q. Are players required to use those designated drop zones when taking relief? Why or why not? (please cite the specific rulebook section, if applicable)
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Well, I found this:

If the Committee considers that it is not feasible or practicable
    to proceed in accordance with a Rule providing relief, it may
    establish Dropping Zones in which balls may or must be
    dropped when taking relief. Generally, such Dropping Zones
    should be provided as an additional relief option to those available
    under the Rule itself, rather than being mandatory.

Using the example of a Dropping Zone for a water hazard, when
    such a Dropping Zone is established, the following Local Rule
    is recommended:

“If a ball is in or it is known or virtually certain that a ball that
    has not been found is in the water hazard (specify location), the
    player may:
    (i) proceed
    under Rule 26; or
    (ii) as an additional option, drop a ball, under penalty of
    one stroke, in the Dropping Zone.
    PEN ALTY FOR BREACH OF LOCAL RULE:
    Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play — Two strokes.”
    So I would say the answer is, "You are not required to, unless the Committee said you had to."

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Well done. This can be found in Appendix I - Local Rules, Part A.6. and Part B.8.

Unless a Local Rule specifies that a drop zone on a particular hole must be used to take relief, the player may also proceed under the appropriate rule (in most cases its Rule 26-1, but not exclusively).

It's always best to weigh your options when considering whether or not to employ a drop zone for relief.

One example of this is #7 at Loch March. The drop zone is left of the green on the tee side of the hazard, so any ball dropped in the DZ must still be played across the water to the green. Additionally, the DZ is in an area of rough, so you may not get the best lie when you drop for a delicate pitch over water. Depending on the position of the flag (central or right), the player may be wiser to opt for a drop under 26-1b and possibly drop within the large closely mown area in front of the hazard and have a much better chance at making clean contact, and likely have a better angle to the pin.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    #7 at LM is a good example of when not to use the drop zone. OTOH, the drop zone on #13 is much friendlier than hitting over the water again.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    #7 at LM is a good example of when not to use the drop zone. OTOH, the drop zone on #13 is much friendlier than hitting over the water again.
    Yeah, depending on which tees you play. If it's from the golds, your tee-side DZ is a 2 yard deep strip of short grass, 155 yards from the green. I'll use the DZ in the collection area, thanks.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    That reminds me of something that happened last time I played LM. Watch for a new thread.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information