CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    6 Iron McG is on a distinguished road

Need some input on why I hit right.......

My game has gone from decent to pathetic over the last little while.

I've been having problems with slicing and hitting the ball to the right in general during the last little while.

I went to the range last night armed with all my clubs and set up on the grass right about in the middle of the tee-off area.
    The roadway for carts runs about 50 feet to the right of where I was setting up.

First off was my 7 iron. Every shot was ending up near the cart path. No slice. Next was the 9 iron, same thing.

Next out was my new driver. 15 balls in a row sliced hard to the right deep into the woods.

I'm pretty flustered at this point. I try moving the ball in the stance, no effect.

Finally, I start to see something. When I choke up on the clubs, I hit them all mostly down the center where I'm aiming.

I'm 5'9 and this has made me think that a set of clubs off the rack are simply too long for me. Does anyone concur?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    7i and 9i are easy to hit straight and driver is the hardest, so that's not unusual.

Most drivers are simply too long for the average golfer to contol properly. They also are very unforgiving of any swing faults so if you are coming from the outside then you will slice the ball.

If choking up helps then you can shorten the driver to 44" long and see if that helps.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by McG View Post
    I've been having problems with slicing and hitting the ball to the right in general during the last little while.
    While the ball ends up right (open club face) where does the ball start?
    1. If left of target line, see a professional.
    2. If on target line, strengthen your grip, ie., turn your hands clockwise (right hander) until ball goes straight
    3. If right of target line, do #2, until the ball gently curves back to the target line.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Just took a lesson for exactly what you are describing last week - very likely you're 'casting' the club on the downswing and not closing the face on your follow through.

The drill he gave me was to set up a box in line with your desired swing path, and address an imaginary ball such that the toe of your club is just barely not touching it. Take the club back halfway and ensure the shaft is in line with your target, and the toe of the club is pointing straight vertically. Take an easy swing through and stop in the same position on the follow through - shaft in line with your target and toe again pointing vertical.

You should not make contact with the box doing this. Ensure you're using your hips on both the partial backswing and the downswing in this drill. Make sure you don't get in the habit of watching yourself take the club away. After you get used to this drill, you can add a real or practice ball and just do half-swing shots. Eventually you can start taking the club back when you get comfortable with this as well.

The results were the difference between night and day.

If all else fails - see a professional. Hope this helps!
    Wannabe Golf

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    What BC and Foddz said.... particularly the parts about seeing a professional
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Eagle buykrux is on a distinguished road
    aim left

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buykrux View Post
    aim left
    Terrible advice. I did that for years to correct for my inevitable slice. Now it's habit, and I miss left with some of my good shots.
    Wannabe Golf

6 Iron McG is on a distinguished road
    I solved this myself last night by checking my swing in a mirror.

I have a really bad habit of putting my head down during the address. On the swing, my left arm can't get by my chin resulting in wayward shots and lack of power as I'm swinging around my chin. The reason why my head is down so far is because I've been paying special attention to my grip lately. It seriously screws with the spine angle.

So utilizing this knowledge, I made sure to keep my chin a fist length from my chest and to rely on the feel of my grip not looking at it. The result was my second best round of the year. I birdied the first two freakin holes! I lost my focus for the few shots on the back half of the front nine but then settled myself down for the back nine quite nicely.

Getting the arm under the chin put all my clubs 20-30 yards longer than I've been hitting them. I hit a 7 iron 160 yards in the air onto the 16th green. My 7 is usually only good for 135-140 yards with a solid hit. One of the guys I played with told me he averages 250 yards with the drive off the tee. I was 20-30 yards in front of him every time. I've never hit so many shots straight at the pin in my life.

So for now, we'll consider this case closed.

Thank you very much everyone for your help.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    2. If on target line, strengthen your grip, ie., turn your hands clockwise (right hander) until ball goes straight
    This seems to be my problem because when the ball starts left of the target, it goes straight - no hook, no fade (slice).

So, when you say turn yours hands clockwise, I think that is what I need to try.

Could it also be that I don't hold the club face straight to the target? I sometimes think I have it open at the start of my swing, and think that would cause the same problem. Of course, that may also be corrected with a "stronger" grip.

4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

Alright, stupid question time... I'm at work, so maybe i'm having a hard time visualizing this...

I'm assuming you mean to leave the club in the same position at address, and just shift your hands clockwise around the grip, correct? If so, how does this close the club face more?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering how I can convince my brain this is a good idea to try out..... (I am suffering a mild case of the OP problem, my longer club shots are slicing to the right, after initially heading off down the target line-ish)

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel View Post
    Alright, stupid question time... I'm at work, so maybe i'm having a hard time visualizing this...

I'm assuming you mean to leave the club in the same position at address, and just shift your hands clockwise around the grip, correct? If so, how does this close the club face more?

I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering how I can convince my brain this is a good idea to try out..... (I am suffering a mild case of the OP problem, my longer club shots are slicing to the right, after initially heading off down the target line-ish)
    This is what a strong grip looks like. With the clubface in the square position, the hands are rotated to the right. When you look down at your grip, you should see 2 1/2 to 3 knuckles on your top hand, and the V's formed by the thumbs/forefingers should point toward your right shoulder.

And now for the lighter side... The person who wrote the link below should be shot. The grip shown, and described in the link is not strong at all, in fact it's about as weak as it gets.

http://www.easy-golf-tips.com/strong-golf-grip.html
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Driver tacks451 is on a distinguished road tacks451's Avatar

poor grip

I had the same problem and went to a CPGA pro who fixed me up in less than 15 minutes. that picture of a so called grip is bad it is a weak grip, get the bottom hand turned over further so you can at least see your fingers. then pound them out there where the big dogs pee!!!

Thread Information