CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metcalfe greens

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Unhappy Metcalfe greens

While Metcalfe is still one of my favourite courses overall (layout, atmosphere, price) I cannot understand how their greens can be so poor in relation to other courses of similar quality. The first green was a mess (the words of two members we played with). They are all cut very short, and therefore faster than in the past, but they are almost brown. You'd think that with the rain they'd be lush like the fairways. Some of the greens were very bumpy owing to poor cutting and on a few you could see ridges/rows from the cutting blades. When I mentioned the inconsistency between the greens the members agreed (thought it was just me) it makes for a frustrating round when you don't know the speed from one green to the next.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I've played Metcalfe a lot this year and the greens have been fine (with the exception of the first green, which IS a mess). They were punched about 10 days ago, so they are a little bumpier than usual right now.

The greens on 2, 4, 6, 16 and 18 are new or rebuilt this year and are in excellent condition. They'll be rebuilding 17 at the end of the year with a new green. With the mix of new and old greens, the speed is not always consistent from one hole to the next - but I would hardly call them "poor" in quality.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I have to agree with Kiwi on this one. I really do enjoy playing metcalfe but the greens have been very bumpy and inconsistant and the fact that they were punched recently my round there last week was awful. The greens were almost un-putable. They gave me a 10% off coupon for my next round because of the greens but sicne I'm an RM I have no use for it.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

3 Iron Paddy963 is on a distinguished road Paddy963's Avatar
    Haven't played there since the 4th but the 1st green looked like it was on the verge of complete death so it sounds like things haven't gotten any better. Apparently the large amount of rain we have been getting this year has caused them to form some sort of algea. Seems they just can't win when it comes to the greens over the last few years.

I think the inconsistency does have to do with the different ages of the greens. Even #2 and #4, which are both new this year, play differently because one of them was sodded (#2) and the other was grown from seed. I think in a couple years they'll be much more consistent.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    With the mix of new and old greens, the speed is not always consistent from one hole to the next - but I would hardly call them "poor" in quality.
    Just to clarify, the poor comment was in relation to other comparable courses I have played. They have had better greens in the past but this year places like Nation, Casselview, Meadows and even Pine View have lush green greens and some or all roll better. The Metcalfe greens are very thin, if I can use that term, as when you go to repair a pitch mark you move almost as much sand as you do grass. Greens keeping is a science and it seems that Metcalfe has a challenge ahead. It will remain one of my favourites.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I played there Friday 22nd and greens bumpy...quite a drive for me so I wont be playing much there.. It was too sloooow....but good food.
    Last edited by 314314; 08-24-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: .

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I havn't played there in 2 weeks plus but the last time I was there they had punched a couple of the greens which really needed it. They gave us coupons without us asking. As far as I am concerned they are doing what is necessary ----the rest of the couse was OK except for the amount of water and you can't blame anyone for that. With the amount of rain the older greens should be softened up a bit as too much water will kill the turf. Your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't I think the reason we see such a difference is that we compare the new nine to the old nine.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information