+ Reply to Thread
    Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar

Playing after weight training

Has anyone tried playing a round or hitting balls after weight training? I did so last night and had totally no tempo and was constantly trying to clobber the ball. Lesson learned but was wondering if anyone else had the same experience?

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    I've done it before, did an upper body workout and right to the range. As you said, not a great idea...

I have worked out at lunch and played a round later in the afternoon with no issues.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moochie View Post
    Has anyone tried playing a round or hitting balls after weight training? I did so last night and had totally no tempo and was constantly trying to clobber the ball. Lesson learned but was wondering if anyone else had the same experience?
    It depends.. If I have time before round, I use very light weights and work on the the larger muscles (back, chess, legs). Stay away from the bicepts and shoulders, otherwise you'll have dead arms... I try to stretch more. Lately, my routines includes more and heavier weight training after the round. It seems to work for me knowing my next round is several days later and your body has more time to rest..
    Have a warm shower, then a cold Corona.. and you'll snooze like a puppy

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    very dangerous.. you can tear a muscle by doing that
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    very dangerous.. you can tear a muscle by doing that
    A warm shower and cold beer can cause a muscle tear
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Weight training. People do that?

Sand Wedge Mightiestmik is on a distinguished road
    It screws up my yardages completely.... If you want to be consistent at golf, either work out during the winter and then learn your yardages early, or don't work out, cause if you work out during the season, your screwed, IMO.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    IMO,Tiger does it all the time...I doubt his yardages change that much. It's just knowing that if you are playing a round of golf that day, maybe just stick to cardio that day. It would be tough to continually move forward with your training if you are working out in the off season, taking 5-6 months off and then going back...you will probably be back to square one come the off season...especially if you are like me and like to have a few bevies after a round.

But let's be honest everyone's different. I have never worked out on a "game day" but I can't imagine that it's great for your body and your game if you are working out hard and then go and play a round. I am sure the pros have a modified work out for when they work out before a round.

Golf Nut Bullet is on a distinguished road Bullet's Avatar
    Ok well never played after hitting the gym but played last Sunday after having a very physically exausting few weeks at work. 1st few holes went well. I was carrying for the round due to the fact that I didn't have a parntner for a cart. After 9 holes I was burnt and had no tempo or anyway of mentaly correcting my errors. So if you had a good workout I would skip golf for that day or at least make it a late round after an early morning workout.
    Bad days golf, better then a good days work!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Weight training. People do that?
    I had a hard time believing this as well but apparently it is so.... probably just another short lived fad like the Taylor Made Bubbles
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    If you focus on the major muscle groups and use high rep lower weight you should not have any issues as the muscle fibers for those workout do not tear as much and need less rebuilding. If you do heavy lifting workouts or arms, shoulders then you wait at least 2-3 hrs before doing anything that requires some sort of coordination effort.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Lob Wedge Mightydocb is on a distinguished road
    Did it last week hit the ball fine but fatigued out by the end of the round maybe use a cart on those days.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    I've suffered from tendonitis in my right elbow for 3 months now. It started the day I did an arm workout, and then went and played golf. I haven't been able to touch weights since... However, I do think that strength and flexibility training are a necessity if one wants to improve their game. I started taking fitness more seriously almost two years ago, and it definitely helped my game immensely. I think the key is to be really dilligent in regards to warming up, stretching, and listening to your body.

Thread Information