100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Hootie Hair Rule

I think Hootie is still living in the '60's:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...378913496.html

I mean, c'mon - I thought the Masters was supposed to be about GOLF. Besides, it's the PGA that is supposed to set the dress code for tour events - not this overblown windbag!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I think Hootie is still living in the '60's:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...378913496.html

I mean, c'mon - I thought the Masters was supposed to be about GOLF. Besides, it's the PGA that is supposed to set the dress code for tour events - not this overblown windbag!
    It's not a Tour event as such. It's Augusta's tournament that has allowed the Tour to particpate, and they make whatever rules they want. What is the PGA going to do, pull out of the Masters? They would have it anyways.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    , and they make whatever rules they want. .
    question:

Can a guy be whoever or look whatever on and off a golf course or anywhere??

Quote Originally Posted by Hanifi
    question:

Can a guy be whoever or look whatever on and off a golf course or anywhere??
    Ahh, what does that have to do with Augusta making the policies/rules for their tournament and not the PGA Tour setting dress code, etc.?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Ahh, what does that have to do with Augusta making the policies/rules for their tournament and not the PGA Tour setting dress code, etc.?
    maybe nothing, or maybe a lot, but whatever it is, there are for sure enough rules for the game of golf that Augusta national should have and could have avoided making an issue of somebody's hair dye,
    I am sure if he would have died his hair, just for men, he wouldn't have been rejected.

maybe nothing, or maybe a lot, but whatever it is, there are for sure enough rules for the game of golf that Augusta national should have and could have avoided making an issue of somebody's hair dye,
    I am sure if he would have died his hair, just for men, he wouldn't have been rejected.
    It's not a rules of golf issue, it's the look and feel. It's a very conservative organization. Like some golf courses have different dress codes, for instance I have heard that the Hunt Club doesn't allow logo'd golf shirts (I don't know this for sure), and the Royal Montreal requires long socks when you wear shorts (I came across this last summer). Augusta has lots of these types of rules, for instance the television commentators cannot refer to the spectators as anything but "patrons". It's theirs and they will do what they want with it, Martha Burke or anyone else be d@mned.
    Colby

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Did you see where Poulter said that if he tones down on the hair he may have to "go to town" on the clothes. That will be something to see, especially if he wants to out do Jesper, CH III, and Duffy.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

It's not a Tour event as such. It's Augusta's tournament that has allowed the Tour to particpate, and they make whatever rules they want. What is the PGA going to do, pull out of the Masters? They would have it anyways.
    Well, IMHO the fact that they have the RIGHT to make ill-conceived and totally subjective rules about a someone's appearance does not make these rules any less stupid and ridiculous. And don't kid yourself, the Masters needs the PGA just as much if not more than the PGA needs the Masters. I think the PGA has more clout than you think, but Hootie hasn't done anything stupid enough (yet) for them to use it. If the PGA was not at Augusta, the tournament would not be the same.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    I hope he wears that all pink outfit he talked about, including the shoes. That should raise a few eyebrows !!!!

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=Colby]It's not a rules of golf issue, it's the look and feel. It's a very conservative organization. Like some golf courses have different dress codes, for instance I have heard that the Hunt Club doesn't allow logo'd golf shirts (I don't know this for sure), and the Royal Montreal requires long socks when you wear shorts (I came across this last summer).

Pinegrove in Montreal has the same rule, you can not wear logo'd clothes, your clothes need to ironed (maybe that's just my crazy friend) and you may not wonder around without the member you came with.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Michael
    I hope he wears that all pink outfit he talked about, including the shoes. That should raise a few eyebrows !!!!

These guys are not a member of Augusta National golf club. they are the 64 highest ranking players in the world that are participating in the masters tournament and I think by invitation or how it works, I don't know.
    Is it Augusta's privilege to have them play there or players privilege to play at Augusta or is it mutual? I think Augusta is more privileged to have the best there. if they start taking away the personal preferences from players, they will also be taking away lots of fans too and probably pee off players as well. These guys are good and Augusta can keep his rules or regulations to his members. stickit

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I can see why they'd want the field to look respectable rather than like a Green Day concert. The tournament has a tradition to it, and that tradition doesn't involve guys being rebellious to make a name for themselves because their golf game isn't getting them famous.

Just my opinion though, and I've had much crazier hair than that guy......

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    And to think they will be serving up Canadian Beer at the Master's meal...........gotta think maybe that will make their hair stand up too??
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I can see it now. A new band out of Augusta, Georgia. Hootie and Hair Police. One can only imagine what this purveyor of stlyle would say to John Daly, should he qualify to play this year. "Sorry, John, but you really have to do something about that distended stomach of yours. You will upset our gentle patrons with your girth. Would you like to use one of our Augusta green girdles? Also, you simply cannot smoke on our course. Bad image, you know. And, oh, by the way, just so we are clear, no burping, cursing or farting!"

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    I can see it now. A new band out of Augusta, Georgia. Hootie and Hair Police. One can only imagine what this purveyor of stlyle would say to John Daly, should he qualify to play this year. "Sorry, John, but you really have to do something about that distended stomach of yours. You will upset our gentle patrons with your girth. Would you like to use one of our Augusta green girdles? Also, you simply cannot smoke on our course. Bad image, you know. And, oh, by the way, just so we are clear, no burping, cursing or farting!"
    Yeah, the world would be WAY worse to live in if we tried to get rid of farting in golf....

Daly needs to lose the stylized mullet before he'll really be consistent on tour, I'm convinced of that.

Dan

Sand Wedge Pilgrim is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I can see why they'd want the field to look respectable...
    How is his hair NOT respectable, but Jesper's clothes ARE? Good for him by not making a big deal out of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim
    How is his hair NOT respectable, but Jesper's clothes ARE? Good for him by not making a big deal out of it...
    Even Alice Cooper takes of the freaking makeup to play in Pro-Ams.... Parnevik's clothes are funny, but still respectable. They just don't match.

I know what you're saying, and for my own part I don't care about stupid haircuts as I had many weird ones (never coloured though). But there's also a "look" that most people are used to. Fred Couples?

Why do white-collar jobs require wearing a suit?

Like I said, it's my opinion, so argue something factual. Taste in hair and clothing isn't likely going to get resolved in this forum....

We'll settle it on the course. Me and my crazy mullet, you and your mohawk....

Dan
    Last edited by broken27; 03-11-2004 at 10:57 PM.

It's not a rules of golf issue, it's the look and feel. It's a very conservative organization. Like some golf courses have different dress codes, for instance I have heard that the Hunt Club doesn't allow logo'd golf shirts (I don't know this for sure), and the Royal Montreal requires long socks when you wear shorts (I came across this last summer).
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    Pinegrove in Montreal has the same rule, you can not wear logo'd clothes, your clothes need to ironed (maybe that's just my crazy friend) and you may not wonder around without the member you came with.
    Rest assured, when the LPGA played at Hunt Club the players were allowed to wear logo'd clothes. When the Canadian Open was at Royal Montreal, no one cared if your socks were long enough or whether your clothes were ironed.

Except for Hanifi, it seems that most people on this forum have missed the point. We're not talking about membership in the club. As a very private and very exclusive country club, Augusta can make all the silly rules and policies it wants for members. Most people don't join for the golf anyway, they join for the status, prestige, etc. If they don't like the rules, they always have the option of becoming a member somewhere else.

The Masters is a professional golf tournament. It is one of the most important tournaments in the world played by the top professional golfers in the world - all of whom earn their living by playing in tournaments just like it. They are not members and never will be. The one week out of 52 that they spend at this tournament is one of the most important times in their career. Playing somewhere else because you don't like the rules is not an option for them. When some jerk tells you can't play unless you get a haircut or change your shirt, what choice do you really have?

The vast majority of PGA golf tournaments are held at private clubs, and many of these clubs have very strict rules about dress and appearance. But only Hootie Johnson makes PGA players conform to these rules. Why? Because he's basically a bully, and he knows he can get away with it.

This is not about upholding the "integrity of the game". Hootie Johnson has not been appointed as the "guardian of golf traditions". That's for the USGA, R&A, PGA and other golf organizations to do. Quite frankly, this is simply an abuse of power.

...Quite frankly, this is simply an abuse of power.
    Exactly.

This is not about upholding the "integrity of the game". Hootie Johnson has not been appointed as the "guardian of golf traditions". That's for the USGA, R&A, PGA and other golf organizations to do. Quite frankly, this is simply an abuse of power.
    So I guess any office that makes you adhere to a dress code is simply abusing their power as well?

Dan

Rest assured, when the LPGA played at Hunt Club the players were allowed to wear logo'd clothes. When the Canadian Open was at Royal Montreal, no one cared if your socks were long enough or whether your clothes were ironed.
    I can't comment about the LPGA at the Hunt, but socks were a moot point at the Royal Montreal for the PGA because the Tour's dress code requires players to wear pants. The Royal doesn't care about the gallery, but if you want to wear shorts there when you play, you have to have long socks. When I played there, I wore pants because I didn't have long socks with me, and didn't want to buy them.

Abuse of power? Probably, but who really cares. It's their bat and their ball, and if you want to play in their tournament, it's their call. Does it matter if they say no earrings on players? The Masters is a professional golf tournament run by Augusta, not the PGA! Last year Augusta said no advertisers. If Augusta wanted to, they could say no television! They are the guardians of golf tradition at Augusta Country Club and for one week a year, golfers and patrons flock to the event.
    Colby

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=EDSGOLF]
    Like some golf courses have different dress codes, for instance I have heard that the Hunt Club doesn't allow logo'd golf shirts (I don't know this for sure)

When the LPGA played there they allowed logo's, but you are correct - Hunt Club does not regularly allow logo'd clothing.
    I wouldn't call the "hair rule" an abuse of power, but maybe a misguided use of power.

Big_duck

The Masters is a professional golf tournament.
    Sorry Tig, your wrong. The Masters is an invitational tournament not a pro tour event. That being said Hootie is a blowfish ... eeer blowhard.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Sorry Tig, your wrong. The Masters is an invitational tournament not a pro tour event. That being said Hootie is a blowfish ... eeer blowhard.
    Not that its a big deal, BUT...

If the PGA turned and said: "Sorry, you can't dictate what our players do, we're pulling out.", do you think Augusta would
    a) care
    b) not care

I think its (A), I think both party get something out of it.

But ya, who cares, its the guy's hair, and he said "no problem, I'll change the colours."

What I find MORE insulting is that Jack Nicklaus AND Arnie Palmer had to petition/argue with Hootie to revoke his "old guys should stop playing" memo...

This is Arnold Palmer's 50th time, and he wasn't going to show up: what a shame. I love seeing those guys, whether they shoot well or not. That's when I'd be slamming Hootie...the idiot.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    This is stupid! Augusta is still living in the 50's.

There are grumpy old men that have nothing else to do but criticise everybody that does not fit there stands.

Remember when tiger was a junior, him being black was an issue.

:reallymad
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    This is stupid! Augusta is still living in the 50's.

There are grumpy old men that have nothing else to do but criticise everybody that does not fit there stands.

Remember when tiger was a junior, him being black was an issue.

:reallymad
    Being black is something you're born with. Dying your hair is a STATEMENT of some sort. Making yourself non-conformist these days makes you part of the majority, so whoopdee doo!!!

I don't care myself, since I've had WAY more ridiculous haircuts than this guy, but I respect the fact that Hootie can set his own rules at his own club. Why can't a guy just have his own little piece of Utopia in the world?

If you own it, implicitly you should be the lawmaker of that property, as long as you don't physically hurt anyone in the enforcement of those laws. What the hell is wrong with that? Everyone wants freedom of choice and all that crap when I'm dissing that trans-gender guy playing in Australia, but then you slap down restrictions on how Hootie can run his club? This is what I meant about "extreme liberalism" frightening me. It's not going to reduce conflict, it'll just change the issues and put us back to zero in terms of being able to deal with each other.

Better the enemy you know than the enemy you don't know.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    This is what I meant about "extreme liberalism" frightening me.
    Come on, lets be realistic. HOW this guys hair looks MATTERS JUST AS MUCH as Hootie deciding he doesn't like it. Its sad. The guys a loon with too much time on his hand. God forbid if he found out one of the PGA players is gay.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim
    God forbid if he found out one of the PGA players is gay.
    Probably the next headline.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Probably the next headline.
    Closets are pretty much locked in Augusta. I don't think anybody can break out.

Thread Information