100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Xbox 360 Vs PS3

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar

Xbox 360 Vs PS3

Ok so i have decided its time to buy one of these things, and am real confused on what way to go. I don;t play alot of games and buying it just to play Tiger Woods 09 Madden 09 and maybe a basketball game. Not much of a shooter guy. And since i download all my movies off the internet and play on my modded xbox i have not need for a blue ray player.

So with that said....what are your thoughts on this?

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    I went through 5 360's. I now own a PS3 and it's awesome. The difference in sound quality alone is worth it.

Bouche
    I have had my 360 for a year now and I have never had a problem with it. If you have been with xbox for a whjile dont change. I have never owned a PS so I might favour the xbox.

The controllers are better for the xbox as well. And I have played madden 09 on the 360 and its sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeett!!!Way better then 08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    After being a HUGE Xbox fan since day 1 I have to say that I prefer my PS3 now

6 Iron McG is on a distinguished road
    Xbox customer service sucks compared to PS3.

I had a near launch 360 that lasted me about 15 months then died. It took 2 weeks for them to send me a refurb. The refurb started with disc read errors almost right away. 3 months later it got so bad after I bought Tiger Woods 08 that I called to get it sent in for repair. I was so mad that I went out and bought a PS3 and Tiger Woods 08.

Fast forward two weeks, Microsoft has still not sent me a return box for the repair. I turn on the PS3 and poof, it turns itself off. I call Sony on Sunday and I have a box on Tuesday. I send the PS3 in and have it back the next Monday. All while still waiting for Microsoft to send another box.

After 4 calls I finally get a box for the 360. The new one comes in and lo and behold disc read errors. I finally said enough is enough and tore the 360 apart and cleaned the laser for the CD. Knock on wood I've had no problems since then.

Bottom line is this. The 360 is a great system with poor quality control. The PS3 is an ok system with average quality control and it's greatest feature is the Blu-ray player.

Had MS not rushed the 360 using so many poor components, Sony would not even be in the game now.

3 Wood dwalker is on a distinguished road dwalker's Avatar
    I have a PS3, and the sports games are incredible. The bonus with this system is the free Blue Ray player you get, which is worth $400 alone. I've never had an Xbox, but my friends who do are disappointed with the quality. I highly suggest the PS3.
    Slice, hook, or straight down the middle. It all looks the same on the score card.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I too have the PS3 and I am not a huge gamer. So if you just want to play a few sports games then why not get a Blu Ray player as well?! I use mine as my main DVD player now and the picture is awsome!

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    The 360 is in its prime with games right now.

the PS3... Sony as well as most gaming sites say that it is still a couple years away from it full potential. tried both first and went with a PS3. use the blu-ray alot and love it!

6 Iron McG is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattchew View Post
    The 360 is in its prime with games right now.

the PS3... Sony as well as most gaming sites say that it is still a couple years away from it full potential. tried both first and went with a PS3. use the blu-ray alot and love it!
    Anything and everything Sony says has to be taken with a very large grain of salt. Remember PS2's "Toy Story" like graphics capability according to Sony? Not even close on reality. Next comes the PS3 and Sony saying the HD generation of gaming begins when we say so. LOL. I guess that's why the majority of PS3 games are in 720p.

The PS3 will not be creating an appreciable difference in graphics like Sony keeps saying. The difference in the 360 vs PS3 will about the same as the PS2 vs Xbox. All we hear is about the Cell CPU. Sure it's powerful. So is the Quad Core CPU of my computer. But my Quad Core was matched with onboard graphics. To play any real games, I needed a good graphics card with it. And therein lies the PS3's problem. A CPU that's more powerful than the 360 but with a GPU that's only marginally better.

8 Iron dblock is on a distinguished road dblock's Avatar
    Definately go with the ps3. Intense!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    xbox 360 more & cheaper games.
    360 also offers gamerscore: keeps track of your gaming achievements.
    I will buy a PS3 as soon as they come out with a game that I want that I can't play on the 360.
    If you're not interested in a blu ray, I'd save some $ & get the 360.
    Andrew

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gropper View Post
    Ok so i have decided its time to buy one of these things, and am real confused on what way to go. I don;t play alot of games and buying it just to play Tiger Woods 09 Madden 09 and maybe a basketball game. Not much of a shooter guy. And since i download all my movies off the internet and play on my modded xbox i have not need for a blue ray player.

So with that said....what are your thoughts on this?
    Wow, as if a PS3 vs. XBox thread broke out on the Ottawa Golf forums. Since I am a total Game-a-holic, I figured I chime in, so here's my two cents, partly to respond to the individuals who had bad luck with quality and Microsoft customer support.

The latest generation of consoles all have their problems. PS3 and Nintendo included. Admittedly XBox probably has the largest failure rate, but at least Microsoft is offering an extended warranty (three years) for the most common failure "The Red Ring of Death" - which is only described as a "general hardware fault".

Two friends of mine had this happen, but had good experiences with turn around time for repair / replacements (~10 days total turnaround from request for repair, to XBox back at home). This is about the same time it took for Nintendo to send my Wii back after the GPU on it conked out.

I have had an XBox Elite pretty much from it's release date on, and have had absolutely zero problems with it. And apparently the newer XBox 360s to market have slightly different designs, use less power, etc. and hopefully are less prone to failure.

Now for the opinion...

If you wanted a Blu Ray player, I'd go with the PS3.

If you liked playing Halo 3, I'd go with the XBox 360.

But since you aren't interested in either, it's a wash for you, since the sports games pretty much play the same on both systems (frame rate, detail levels, etc.). You may want to go to future shop and try both and see which controller you like the feel of better, and go with that.

One thing that I really like about XBox 360 is the Live component. Yes, you have to pay a subscription, but it really draws out the life of games (co-op play, achievements, downloadable content, etc). There are also a few really cool Microsoft Arcade titles available for download. I downloaded UNO a few weeks ago, and it's extremely entertaining... a trip down memory lane.

Can't go wrong with either one... but you'll probably save a few bucks going with XBox.

Enjoy and Happy Gaming!

1 Iron Bidou is on a distinguished road Bidou's Avatar

Ps3

Since you will play mostly sports oriented games, go with the PS3. I have both systems and enjoy them equally as much for different reasons.

Xbox
    -Xbox live for multiplayer is stellar (Call of Duty 4, Halo)
    -More games, cheaper as well.
    -Ability to download movies

PS3
    -Wicked graphics, def outduels the Xbox in that category
    -On-line multi player not as easy or as fun.
    -Blu-Ray player for HD movies
    -Built in wireless networking card with a web browser. (Nice feature)

If you can hold off until September 7th it looks like there will be price drops on the XBox 360.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=622874

Xbox 360 Arcade SKU (256MB): $199.99 (currently $279.99)
    Xbox 360 Pro SKU (60GB): $299.99 (currently $349.99)
    Xbox 360 Elite SKU (120GB): $399.99 (currently $449.99)

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    Can't go wrong with either one... but you'll probably save a few bucks going with XBox.

Enjoy and Happy Gaming!
    This is pretty good advice right here.

There have been several comparisons of the graphics on multi-platform games, and even with the significant perceived hardware advantage that the PS3 holds, it seems the challenges of porting the game for the cell processor isn't easy, and often the end results are equal to or worse than the 360.

Sports games are going to play almost identically, and if you have any interest in joining online leagues, Live will probably offer the better service (although I haven't tried the PS3 network).

Another thing to note is that the XBOX will be seeing a price drop on Sept 7th (I think). Unless it doesn't come North of the Border, you'll be able to pick up the core system for $199, the 60gb "Pro" console for $299 and the Elite system for $399.

Something you might want to take a look at is the price of used games for both consoles on places like Kijiji and Craigslist. The 360 has a higher game attach rate than the other two consoles, so there should be more used games out on the market to be had at low prices.

EDIT: I was a little slow on the prices apparently...
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Thanks for all the help guys, i thought i was leaning towards the PS3 but the price cuts are making me rethink that......has there been any talk of the PS3 comming down?

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    They've introduced an 80gb model in the states for $400, which I believe replaces their 60gb model. If you look at Sony's entertainment division and the massive losses it's taken, and couple that with the less than stellar attach rate for games, it would be hard for them to eat another price drop unless the 360 drops significantly cut into sales.

Ya never know though.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    I went through 5 360's. I now own a PS3 and it's awesome. The difference in sound quality alone is worth it.
    5 XBox 360s? Yikes, that bites. Did you place them next to your gas fireplace turned on at full blast or something? What was the problem? Red Ring of Death, other issues?

Not sure I would agree with you on the sound quality alone being worth it, but it's possible that the PS3 has the edge in this category... I haven't really done a sound comparison personally myself. Do you have some specific examples? i.e.: do EA sports games sound better on the PS3?

I found a couple of good PS3 vs. XBox posts on the interwebs:

This blog post is from last year, but I like this guys take:
    http://juliangnam.wordpress.com/2007...***ing-matter/ (note: that ottawagolf has filtered a specific F-bomb in the url that will need to be added back in).

And here is another very good article comparing the two consoles:
    http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstat...ne-year-later/

One note that is mentioned somewhere in the second article I believe, is the volume of the XBox 360 DVD drive. This I would have to agree with, and it is somewhat annoying. I have gotten used to it now, but if there was one thing that I would put on the XBox 360 improvement wish list, it would be a quieter drive.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I got a free month of xbox lve gold with my warranty-replacement 360, I've been playin halo 3 on xbox live for about 4 days, its fun, but I am getting pretty badly beaten up. I don't know if I eveer posted this youtube like before, but its gold:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOkF0McZKIw
    Andrew

Thread Information