100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Anyone Using A Battery Powered Lawn Mower?

I would like to know if anyone is using a battery powered lawn mower and if so what is your opinion of it?

My daughter needs a mower but I don't want her messing with a gas mower, too hard to start.

Battery powered models are not cheap so before buying one I'd like to hear from anyone using one.

Thanks

Ace TWoody is on a distinguished road TWoody's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    I would like to know if anyone is using a battery powered lawn mower and if so what is your opinion of it?

My daughter needs a mower but I don't want her messing with a gas mower, too hard to start.

Battery powered models are not cheap so before buying one I'd like to hear from anyone using one.

Thanks
    Bought one last year. Bought a gas one this year to replace it. Charge does not last long *read only good for real small yards) and even with the non memory battery it gets worse fast. Mulching drains it even faster.
    My yard is small to begin with and I had to do half then charge to do the other half.
    With the gas mower, 15 minutes and I'm done. The place I bought my gas mower at told me I'm not the first ti have this issue.
    If her yard is small enough get the cord version.
    TWoody
    Member of the TGN Team
    MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

5 Wood AndrewMGA is on a distinguished road AndrewMGA's Avatar
    I own one as well and agree with TWoody just want to add the mower is a lot heaver than a corded or gas mower.
    Mine holds enoug charge to do my yard, but just barely, I'll probably replace mine with a gas mower next year.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by TWoody View Post
    Bought one last year. Bought a gas one this year to replace it. Charge does not last long *read only good for real small yards) and even with the non memory battery it gets worse fast. Mulching drains it even faster.
    My yard is small to begin with and I had to do half then charge to do the other half.
    With the gas mower, 15 minutes and I'm done. The place I bought my gas mower at told me I'm not the first ti have this issue.
    If her yard is small enough get the cord version.
    TWoody

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    my concern is what is the cost of replacing the batteries when they no longer hold a charge. A good gas mower will last 10 years plus if taken care of. I just bought a cordless weedwacker though, haven't used it yet but got sick of dealing with the cord all the time and I don't have much trimming to do, maybe 10 minutes worth.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Rick, get her a gas or electric mower (or a horse to graze).. although very convenient battery mowers basically suck... the longer or thicker the grass, the faster the battery drains.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    OK Thanks for the info guys.

I prefer to not have her messing around with a gas mower. However they are more efficient for sure.

I have a battery powered weed whacker and after doing the trimming around my yard it is time to recharge it. Kind of a useless thing really. I am going to wait until I see a gas one on sale and buy one. I had one before and I could cut small trees down with that thing

I guess an electric mower would be ok for her also. At least she can just plug it in and turn it on and go. Just don't run over the cord

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I had an electric one and the cord is a major pain in the you know what. It took me twice as long to cut the the lawn as it does now and after running over the cord once and going to home depot where they wanted $80 for a new one, it was time to buy a gas mower. Mine is easy to start and I just fill a jerry can once or twice a year.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information