CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nike SQ2 5900

Hybrid Silversnake is on a distinguished road

Nike SQ2 5900

Just wondering what the thoughts are about this driver. The reason being is that I am in the market for a new driver and am considering going to a square driver. I currently have the Titleist 905R with a Graffaloy Prolaunch Red S.

Here is the thing, I hit a draw and when things go bad a hook. I sometimes hit a fade but I would say I draw the ball way more than I do fade. I played a round with my cousin who picked up the FT-i and I never seen him so straight. His previous driver was the Taylormade R7 425 TP and he hit a draw with it. With the Callaway he is straight as an arrow, not as long but way straighter. Now my question is, is there anyone out there who draws the ball and uses the square Nike and has it made the draw worse or do you hit it straighter? I know that the club path/face angle dictates the draw but I am just curious as to what the reviews are on the Nike.

Thanks people.

Hybrid latch is on a distinguished road
    Hi There,

I used a TM R7 460 for pretty much all of last year (with the weights set to neutral) and hit a slight draw very consistently with it. This year I've used the Sumo2 Square for about a month (before going back to the R7, but that's a whole other story ) and found what you're asking to be correct - I was hitting the Nike very straight and really couldn't make it draw or fade at all. I noticed that the TM R7 460 that I was using had a slightly closed face, but the Nike does not at all which may explain the draw vs. straight ball flight.

Really? I am pretty sure but correct me if I am wrong, I was under the impression that any if not most drivers that are not Tour or TP models have a closed face. I play the 905r and draw it. The biggest thing hurting my game, well actually I should say one of the many flaws lol albetit the biggest, is getting in trouble off the tee which leads to high scores. I know I know lol people are saying it's the swing but I am buying into Golftown's sales pitch, "Build (BUY) a better game" lol. So, if I can get something that would help me keep the ball in play more then I definately am open to that.

Would you recommend the 5900? I am curious as to why you went back to the R7 460? I had the R7 425 and got rid of it after 2 rounds, too big of a draw.

I think that you're correct, most non-tour drivers have a closed face, probably only a degree or two closed, but closed nontheless. I didn't measure it but the Sumo *seemed* square to me (or less closed than the R7 anyways).
    The reason I went back to the R7 was because the R7 was a 10.5* driver w/ an NV shaft whereas the Sumo was a 9.5* with the Diamana shaft which I really didn't like.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I too find the Nike to sit fairly square, well more than most non-tour clubs. Although the Adams XTD A3 sits square. So would you recommend the club with the right shaft?

I think the best thing to do would be to get fitted for a driver - I haven't done it personally but will do so the next time I go to buy a driver.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I have the Sumo2 and like it. Just to let you know the stock shaft on the original Sumo2 is 44.5" and on the 5900 is 45.75"

Thread Information